Community Update - May 8, 2018

General Discussion
1 2 3 16 Next
Hey everyone,

We appreciate the continued feedback and discussion. After reviewing the most recent round and observing more high-level play, we feel good about continuing with our plans to reduce Anti-Armor Missile’s late-game strength and improve Terran‘s mid-game strength in the TvP matchup.

• Raven’s Anti-Armor Missile base damage reduced from 30 to 15.

We considered different options for rebalancing the Anti-Armor Missile, but we settled on damage reduction. This change decreases its late-game damage potential while minimally affecting utility in the mid-game, where it can still be used as a reliable source of armor reduction. Another popular suggestion that we considered was to reduce the speed or acceleration of the missile in order to promote more counter-play via splitting. While we felt this change would have similar effects in the late-game, we thought this would be too much of a hit to its mid-game strength, when more manageable armies allow for easier splitting.

• Viking health increased from 125 to 135.

We realize Terrans will take a hit to their late-game strength due to the Anti-Armor Missile change, so we feel this is a good time to provide a buff to the Viking. We will be increasing Viking health to increase its survivability, specifically against area-of-effect abilities like Psionic Storm and Parasitic Bomb, which are commonly used in the late game. In addition, this buff will aid Terrans against Colossi, a unit that has become more popular in TvP over the last few months. This buff doesn’t fully offset the Anti-Armor Missile nerf in the extreme late game, but as we mentioned in the last community update, we’d like to focus more on how Terran’s mid-game power scales into the late-game, which will hopefully grant Terrans with more control over that transition.

• Marauder’s number of attacks reduced from 2 to 1.
  • Damage increased from 5 (10 vs Armored) per attack to 10 (20 vs Armored).
  • Weapon upgrades give +1 (+2 vs armored) per infantry upgrade, changed from +1 (+1 vs armored) per shot.

Near the end of Heart of the Swarm, Zerg players would struggle when transitioning from Ling/Bane/Muta compositions to Ultralisks because of how effective Marauders were as a counter. At the beginning of Legacy of the Void, we split the Marauder’s attack into two separate shots to encourage Terran players to transition to more specialized units against Hive tech. Throughout LotV, a popular suggestion has been to revert this change because it also had the side effect of reducing the lethality of the Terran army in the mid game against Protoss. We believe this is a good time to do so, since we’re now less worried about strength of Marauders in TvZ. For one, Ultralisks now have one additional starting armor and are thus more resistant to both Marine and Marauder attacks. In addition, Zerg is now less reliant on Ultralisks to stabilize in the late-game, as Hydralisks, Vipers, and Brood Lords are now frequently used for transitioning. As for TvP, we believe this change will improve Terran’s ability to apply more consistent pressure during the mid game. This change will be particularly noticeable against Light Protoss units (Zealots, Adepts) when the Terran is behind in upgrades.

• Raven’s Auto-Turret cast range increased from 1 to 2.

When we reintroduced the Raven’s Auto-Turret ability, we reduced the cast range from 3 to 1 in order to provide more of an opportunity for counter-play against Auto-Turret harass. Our feeling now is that we may have reduced the range too much—Auto-Turrets just aren’t being used much for harass. In addition, this cast-range increase allows Ravens to place Turrets out of range of anti-air static defenses, which slightly helps when attempting to break stalemates in the late-game.

Our current plan is to release this balance update, along with the new ladder season, on May 15, but this is subject to change. As always, thank you for your continued feedback and let us know what you think!
Underwhelming, but going in the right direction i suppose.

Vikings will still get mauled by carriers or parabomb/corru, and protoss will still have an upgrade advantage making marauders after protoss takes a third.

But design wise this isn't stupid
Glad to finally see Terran mid-game/Bio addressed, as it seems like it's been a couple of years with Mech-only adjustments.

Regarding the late-game, I'm very happy to see the Anti-Armor Missile reduced in damage as there is virtually no counter-play to this ability. However, I'm not sure the Marauder nerf-revert (not sure we can call it an outright "buff") and the Viking HP buff + Auto-Turret range buff will be quite enough to compensate.

At the very least, all of these changes are sound in logic and design and will certainly provide a good place to start.
Finally a buff to a core Terran unit after the absurd power creep that core Toss and Zerg units got. I've been desperately wanting Terran to move away from gimmicky lategame turtle styles in favor of having real units that actually do something, thank you.
HYPE
thank you for a good balance update :)
Seems like resonable changes, we'll see how it plays out!
Looks great, my only fear is that bio will become too strong vs mech, as well as mech armies becoming less strong overall, especially vs toss. I don't think the viking buff will be nearly enough for mech to become viable in tvp.
The Viking buff is not enough to be able to trade vs Carriers.
If Vikings got 1 armor as well you could actually use Vikings to counter Carriers.
Carrier+storm still hard counter everything that is Terran and now when Ravens get nerfed into the ground playing TvP late game will be even more unplayable.

But at least all-inning with bio will be more effective.

The Marauder change will help bio but it will also be the end of mech. No one will use mech when you have 20 damage marauders with superior mobility.

Mech is already useless in TvP, after this mech will be even worse.

In TvZ mech will be dead outside of pre hive timing attacks.

In TvT bio will be both stronger and more mobile than mech so I think mech will become extinct here as well.
The Terran changes look a lot more polished than the previous suggestions. I think 15 damage for anti-armor missile is a lot more appropriate than 5 would have been. I'm interested in seeing how this goes, particularly with the items from previous nerfs.
I can’t see this helping Terran late game against toss, ravens have been nerfed and carriers will still shred Vikings. Mech is still not viable against toss, one thing you could do is bring back the old widow mines and make protoss upgrade their nexus to get chrono booste to prevent their insane eco early game.
Lol ultras are already useless but I know you just want to force broods even harder so trying to talk you out of it is useless, balance team. That's OK I stopped making them after 3.8 already since its obvious you're not going to ever give zerg the lategame strength v bio that it needs again.

Oh and real genius idea buffing Vikings to fight colossus when you could just revert the most recent Colo buff. You added it for pvz vs hydras but no one uses it vs hydras lol so just take it out and then you don't need to buff Vikings.

The power creep in this game is downright silly because the balance team refuses to walk back changes.
This is a good move Blizzard. I hope TvsP can be fixed by this. Protoss is way too strong vs Terran right now.
Now we will finally see real strategy game, MarineMarouderMedivacs for all the game, all the games in any situation and any matchup returns, who needs ravens now?:D
Wait, so you are buffing the marauder yet nerfed the stalker? If you buff the marauder can you at least un-nerf the stalker?
05/08/2018 11:10 AMPosted by llllllllllll
Now we will finally see real strategy game, MarineMarouderMedivacs for all the game, all the games in any situation and any matchup returns, who needs ravens now?:D

Oh, yes. Spamming Anti-Armor Missiles from 20 Ravens and watching entire armies disappear in 2 seconds was very "strategic." Lots of brainpower there.

Who needs silly bio-related things like mechanics, multitasking, micro, macro, map presence/awareness, and tactics? Need moar sensor towerz, turretz, and muh Raaaaaavenz.
First , I'm a terran player. I really don't mind the raven nerf, but it implies that our lategame will still be kind of meh. I would like something to improve our lategame and still compete with others races in this part of the game.

That being said, I REALLY enjoy the marauder buff, it will promote bio play much more, it is way more interesting to play and watch ! Great move on this one. Can't wait to see how things are going to be.
So first adept nerfed and then the stalker yet blizzard is buffing the marauder? LOL

Toss will go back to turtling because once again bio is really strong vs them. Un-nerf the stalker then we can see some cool and exciting pvts.