Shield Battery is Pathetic

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
I still can't believe they went ahead with this change. The only people who were lobbying for the shield battery were, literally, Bronze leaguers or people who never played Broodwar.

Why would you remove one of the best units for a race and introduce the least used thing in Broodwar? If you want to introduce the shield battery, that's fine. But, in no way does it replace the need for the mothership core.

So frustrating coming back to this game and seeing it's even worse than when I left, and somehow they made the worst race even worse. How?

What is the shield batteries main purpose? ALL-INS. It's not even a freaking defensive unit. Oh, I'm playing P vs Z... how should I use shield batteries to good effect? I dunno... maybe make about 10 of them outside of my opponent's main, while I try to kill him with immortals?

Oh, it's P vs P... and I want to all-in. Oh, I see my opponent made some shield batteries. What should I do... oh... let me make some, too, to negate his. Genius foresight. What a great defensive help.

P vs Z... gotta make sure you wall your main. Gotta make sure you wall your nat. Can't allow any surface area anywhere, since there is no defensive AID anymore. If you're not doing an all-in, get f'd. That's the message here.

Why on earth... should our "defensive unit" be far more impactful for when trying to execute all-ins? The exact opposite of what it was supposed to be. How hard is it to accomplish this?

Had to rant/vent. Beyond aggravating playing such a trash race and seeing such lack luster changes. May as well be playing WoL.

Why in THE WORLD, would the shield battery not be tied to distance from your nexus? It's not acceptable for this to be a boon for all-in players and an absolutely tragic building for macro players. How hard is it to simply go the right direction? Jesus.
07/23/2018 07:33 PMPosted by Playa
Why in THE WORLD, would the shield battery not be tied to distance from your nexus. It's not acceptable for this to be a boon for all-in players and an absolutely tragic building for macro players. How hard is it to simply go the right direction? Jesus.

It should function like the warp fields.

Close to a warp gate or nexus?. Full energy SB and faster unit warp ins.

Far from a warp gate or nexus?. Half energy SB and regular speed unit warp ins.
No one lobbied dude.

Sc2 balance team realized that msc is broken so they immediately removed it after DK got fired :)

But i can agree with that shield batteries are broken for allins so they should remove them as well!
Why in THE WORLD, would the shield battery not be tied to distance from your nexus. It's not acceptable for this to be a boon for all-in players and an absolutely tragic building for macro players. How hard is it to simply go the right direction? Jesus.

All I know is that it freaking sucks. You know which Toss players were probably lobbying against the mothership core? Try Has. Try players that just want to all-in every game. The mothership core did what it was supposed to.

Without fail, the few things in this game that make sense get changed. The nydus has zero business being invincible. Especially not early in the game. Changing a good mechanic for zero reason.

I hate Toss players man. Anytime we have something good, WE CRY. Omg... the colossus kills units. I can't stand it. When is the last time someone made a colossus now? Congratulations. They sure made that decision a lot easier for you, didn't they?

Yeah man, just make tempests to kill broodlords and stuff. Worst unit in the game GOT NERFED... You can't make this stuff up. How do you allow/get the worst unit in the game nerfed?

The shield battery solves nothing but adding to MMR of players who want to all-in. Man, "the game is so much better now. LotV is the best version of the game!"

Agendas currently in this game: 1) Make every 10 year old Zerg player a GSL caliber player. 2) Make sure Has and his followers are the only Toss players who have a chance to win again. A real throwback to MC.

Think about it... who cares if our tech units like the tempest and colossus are worthless? Oh, that's right... we want you to only all-in. It makes no difference if those units are good cause our race isn't supposed to win macro games. Go ahead kids... make 10 shield batteries outside your opponent's base. GREAT STARCRAFT. EPIC. WOW. Esports is back!
07/23/2018 07:41 PMPosted by Gombrich
No one lobbied dude.

Sc2 balance team realized that msc is broken so they immediately removed it after DK got fired :)

But i can agree with that shield batteries are broken for allins so they should remove them as well!

EVERYONE LOBBIED. I was losing my mind, every day, as I'd argue against the horde of shield battery worshipers/proponents. I'd check their profiles. They were always people who didn't play the game or were Bronze'ish.

Now, left with a Bronze race.

Worst unit in the game GOT NERFED... You can't make this stuff up. How do you allow/get the worst unit in the game nerfed?

If you look at the patch history it's got mostly buffs:

https://liquipedia.net/starcraft2/Tempest_(Legacy_of_the_Void)

[quote]<span class="truncated">...</span>When is the last time someone made a colossus now?

TvP and ZvP and occasionally PvP if it gets chargelot heavy.
07/23/2018 07:57 PMPosted by MyOhMind

Times I've seen a colossus in Z vs P in a year: 0. Times I've seen a colossus in P vs P in 2 years: 0.

Toss macro play is super dynamic now. Man, so much better than the colossus days. Boy, o boy... if you like lots of immortals and kinda like templars... then BOY DO I GOT SOMETHING TO SHOW YOU.

Every game, same thing. Balance team acted like imbeciles when they changed overlord drops from evos. "People are opening with stargate too much." Bro... everyone has been forced to open stargate since HotS.

Now, last balance community feedback or w/e they call it now... they acted like Nostradamus. Yes... we have foreseen that people would only open stargate. Cause it just makes so much sense to do.

Wow... how did you guys figure that one out. Only took 8 years, huh? Any plans on making anything else viable? Maybe add a unit or tweak a unit? Nah son. Just keep making 10 shield batteries outside your opponent's main. Or... if you're stupid.. you can try playing the only way possible to win a macro game.

Here's your 1 build kid and how you have to wall off, etc, etc. Oh man... best strategy game ever. Do you want the meatballs for dinner or do you want the meatballs. How can I make up my mind?
07/23/2018 07:50 PMPosted by Playa

All I know is that it freaking sucks. You know which Toss players were probably lobbying against the mothership core? Try Has. Try players that just want to all-in every game. The mothership core did what it was supposed to.

Without fail, the few things in this game that make sense get changed. The nydus has zero business being invincible. Especially not early in the game. Changing a good mechanic for zero reason.

I hate Toss players man. Anytime we have something good, WE CRY. Omg... the colossus kills units. I can't stand it. When is the last time someone made a colossus now? Congratulations. They sure made that decision a lot easier for you, didn't they?

Yeah man, just make tempests to kill broodlords and stuff. Worst unit in the game GOT NERFED... You can't make this stuff up. How do you allow/get the worst unit in the game nerfed?

The shield battery solves nothing but adding to MMR of players who want to all-in. Man, "the game is so much better now. LotV is the best version of the game!"

Agendas currently in this game: 1) Make every 10 year old Zerg player a GSL caliber player. 2) Make sure Has and his followers are the only Toss players who have a chance to win again. A real throwback to MC.

Think about it... who cares if our tech units like the tempest and colossus are worthless? Oh, that's right... we want you to only all-in. It makes no difference if those units are good cause our race isn't supposed to win macro games. Go ahead kids... make 10 shield batteries outside your opponent's base. GREAT STARCRAFT. EPIC. WOW. Esports is back!
07/23/2018 07:41 PMPosted by Gombrich
No one lobbied dude.

EVERYONE LOBBIED. I was losing my mind, every day, as I'd argue against the horde of shield battery worshipers/proponents. I'd check their profiles. They were always people who didn't play the game or were Bronze'ish.

I have never seen a player whine more than you do. Shield batteries are fine, and they aren't the weak rubbish thing you think they are.

Yes, shield batteries brought about another type of all in. Welcome to protoss, where everything intended for defense can also be used offensively. It applied just as much to the MSC as it does to shield batteries. Remember PYLON rushes?

You have to use units to defend harassment now? Wow! It's amazing! So does every other race unless you're paying an exuberant amount to build defensive structures like spines and spores everywhere, or planetary fortress.

You have mass recall as well, so you can bring your units back to better defend.

Protoss is honestly in a better state now than it was relying on the MSC. That thing was cancerous. I cannot believe you legitimately want it in the game. It was THE WORST GAME DESIGN DECISION BAR NONE that was made in SCII, and players actively left as a result of its very presence in the game.
07/23/2018 08:05 PMPosted by Playa
07/23/2018 07:57 PMPosted by MyOhMind

Times I've seen a colossus in Z vs P in a year: 0. Times I've seen a colossus in P vs P in 2 years: 0.

Toss macro play is super dynamic now. Man, so much better than the colossus days. Boy, o boy... if you like lots of immortals and kinda like templars... then BOY DO I GOT SOMETHING TO SHOW YOU.

Every game, same thing. Balance team acted like imbeciles when they changed overlord drops from evos. "People are opening with stargate too much." Bro... everyone has been forced to open stargate since HotS.

Now, last balance community feedback or w/e they call it now... they acted like Nostradamus. Yes... we have foreseen that people would only open stargate. Cause it just makes so much sense to do.

Wow... how did you guys figure that one out. Only took 8 years, huh? Any plans on making anything else viable? Maybe add a unit or tweak a unit? Nah son. Just keep making 10 shield batteries outside your opponent's main. Or... if you're stupid.. you can try playing the only way possible to win a macro game.

Here's your 1 build kid and how you have to wall off, etc, etc. Oh man... best strategy game ever. Do you want the meatballs for dinner or do you want the meatballs. How can I make up my mind?

Dude, robotics openers are viable. They have been viable for a while. Players just actively chose Stargate because utility wise it's literally a free map hack. What, you want to make an observer, fly it to the enemy army and hover over them without being able to be seen through scans, ravens overseers and spores so you literally have vision over their army at all times? Because short of outright removing revelation or moving the spell to the observer, you aren't going to have robo openers outdo Stargate openers. They're simply to good. It's not even being pigeonholed into it, it's that they're legitimately that good.

Protoss is honestly in a better state now than it was relying on the MSC. That thing was cancerous. I cannot believe you legitimately want it in the game. It was THE WORST GAME DESIGN DECISION BAR NONE that was made in SCII, and players actively left as a result of its very presence in the game.

MSC in the form it had was bad for the game and made harassing protoss extremely hard.

It shouldn't come back, but if it did come back it should have no abilities.
07/23/2018 08:06 PMPosted by Miro

I don't care how stupid something looks, if it works. Especially when the alternative is pure AIDS dressed up in a suit. Wow... this looks really nice and cute. Too bad it sucks and does the opposite of what it's supposed to.

Protoss is considered imbalanced if we win 48% of our games. If the shield battery was any good, it wouldn't be allowed to be in the game. Look what you monkeys did to the tempest. "Well... I can't really recall losing a unit to it... but... 15 range? Come on... Let's reel the power in a lil bit. 15 range... that's just too scary."

Any Toss unit that has actually killed something before is viewed as the worst design choice of all-time in your eyes. If something isn't considered broken by you, then it's worthless. That simple. The truth, too.

Before the mothership core... every game was 4 gate. Huk and MC were looking to rule SC 2 for the next 10 years. And they would have if they introduced the shield battery instead of the mothership core. The mothership core is about the only thing the balance team has EVER solved.

All for naught now. All down the drain. The shield battery is a joke. I can only assume this building was brought to SC 2 to try to lure Boxer back and to switch to Toss. Makes about as much sense as any other alternative.

Make sure you guys keep listening to Terran and Zerg players. Boy... do they know when a game is balanced/good.

https://ibb.co/eWWOUT

I can't even zoom out enough to see a SINGLE period that Toss has led. It's been over 3 years, yet every idiot wants to act like the game is in a better spot and the Toss changes have been positive.

This is sub 60 IQ level. Balance team... applause for decisions doesn't = good. It equals... Terran or Zerg is going to be beating the f out of everyone for years to come. Jesus.

But, Playa... 20 Bronze Toss players told me it would be cool if I put in the shield battery, and I really want to make the noobs happy. How about doing your job, you lil jerks.
07/23/2018 08:13 PMPosted by Miro
Dude, robotics openers are viable.
not vs zerg btw since immortal aren't that strong anymore to hold zerg all-in.
07/23/2018 08:31 PMPosted by Nero

And mutas, you need either archons or Phoenix or you will die if they just happen to be planning on spire.
07/23/2018 08:22 PMPosted by Playa
07/23/2018 08:06 PMPosted by Miro

I don't care how stupid something looks, if it works. Especially when the alternative is pure AIDS dressed up in a suit. Wow... this looks really nice and cute. Too bad it sucks and does the opposite of what it's supposed to.

Protoss is considered imbalanced if we win 48% of our games. If the shield battery was any good, it wouldn't be allowed to be in the game. Look what you monkeys did to the tempest. "Well... I can't really recall losing a unit to it... but... 15 range? Come on... Let's reel the power in a lil bit. 15 range... that's just too scary."

Any Toss unit that has actually killed something before is viewed as the worst design choice of all-time in your eyes. If something isn't considered broken by you, then it's worthless. That simple. The truth, too.

Before the mothership core... every game was 4 gate. Huk and MC were looking to rule SC 2 for the next 10 years. And they would have if they introduced the shield battery instead of the mothership core. The mothership core is about the only thing the balance team has EVER solved.

All for naught now. All down the drain. The shield battery is a joke. I can only assume this building was brought to SC 2 to try to lure Boxer back and to switch to Toss. Makes about as much sense as any other alternative.

Make sure you guys keep listening to Terran and Zerg players. Boy... do they know when a game is balanced/good.

https://ibb.co/eWWOUT

I can't even zoom out enough to see a SINGLE period that Toss has led. It's been over 3 years, yet every idiot wants to act like the game is in a better spot and the Toss changes have been positive.

This is sub 60 IQ level. Balance team... applause for decisions doesn't = good. It equals... Terran or Zerg is going to be beating the f out of everyone for years to come. Jesus.

But, Playa... 20 Bronze Toss players told me it would be cool if I put in the shield battery, and I really want to make the noobs happy. How about doing your job, you lil jerks.

Except that competitively speaking, protoss is doing just fine. They have the most players in GSL Ro16, consistently make it to the round of 4 in GSL, if not the finals. WCS Valencia they had even representation through the entire tournament, and were only eliminated by players arguably better than they are, usually though close matches. DnS was eliminated by Heromarine. Neeb was beaten by showtime, another protoss, who was subsequently beaten by Has. Harstem was knocked out by Nerchio in a close match though it was a 3-1. The exception to that is Has, because despite being an inferior player in all aspects of the game except cheesing, he made it through players like Nerchio and kelazhur, before dying to someone who is arguably the best foreign player in the game right now in Serral.

Everything we see now points to the game being in a better state now than it ever was with the MSC. The unit was a crutch, and an awful one at that.

Also, yes, tempests can use a buff, but not one that increases damage or range. Personally speaking, I'd like to see a fire rate buff to them. If that doesn't work out, revert their supply to 4. They don't need any more than that.
07/23/2018 08:31 PMPosted by Nero

Warp prism Archon drop isn't a robot opener?

Also, Immortals crush roach ravager all ins. We saw Neeb squash losira's RR all in with immortals and then win the game to move to the round of 16.
Hey man I told people shield battery was a bad idea. Don't look at me.
07/23/2018 08:53 PMPosted by Miro
Warp prism Archon drop isn't a robot opener?

Also, Immortals crush roach ravager all ins. We saw Neeb squash losira's RR all in with immortals and then win the game to move to the round of 16.
no but going robo is like a risky play because like you said stargate opener is like a free maphack so you would know what your opponent would build.

stargate opener is viable more then robo because of how less risky it takes vs zerg but as for terran its any opener is fine.
I'm so angry and incredulous, that I'm not even going to say anymore on it. This is so stupid to me, that it would be like debating with a snail. Just absolutely atrocious and sad.

Mothership core literally brought in to the fold due to P vs P. Replacement does nothing in this regard.... Roadkill balance team. Just so sad. Just going to twiddle thumbs as they're used for all-ins and Toss works on going 4 years without leading for a single period.

Beyond shameful and anyone paying these guys a penny is even a bigger moron than they are.
Blizzard is hurting the Toss race since Wol- i left sc2 some days ago- mby one time i come back if they finaly make Protoss a playable Race- for ages its just worse and worse- no skill need for zerg or terrans to win vs way better Protoss players- many designe issuse with Protoss are still alive- bu Blizzard dont give a !@#$ bout that- i know soo many good skilled Protoss playes who left sc2 casue of the frustrating state of the Race- Caster hyping kid zerg players who can beat top korean Protoss players- all terran and zerg Domination- were is the 14 year old Protoss foreigner who can destroy some top maru or Rouge player with straight macro games? i never seen this- very strange
I heard that just like the mothership core, you dont have to use effort to defend cheese and I heard you need to spend extra money to help defend drops and use actual units.

If you want to complain about something, complain about the stalker and adept. nerfs.