Is there a chance for an engine upgrade?

General Discussion
I just want the game optimized to passable standards, but I guess I'm alone in that.
04/12/2019 02:09 PMPosted by StormyFacade
I just want the game optimized to passable standards, but I guess I'm alone in that.
how do you want to optimize the game? every engine is build in strict hierarchy, so you can't "ez" add multicore usage and new engine will not only cost pretty much money, but also will need many programmers to work on that, who would do that right now in 2019?
I think Blizzard should eventually fix the issue.

Just look at a 2v2 or 4v4 on the highest battles and the lag is real. One thread cannot cope with that.

Not a graphics issue though, even on my 1080ti using 50% GPU on ultra the issue is there and is clearly visible in the task manager CPU usage.

You would need ridiculous CPU clock-speeds and IPC to be able to cope. Speeds we don't have yet. (7GHz or so) and today's CPU industry is clearly going towards more cores.

Blizzard certainly has the money to change that. HOWEVER!!!! Maybe next gen CPUs will be able to automatically split single threads into multiple threads which is certainly a possibility. Also maybe compilers could do that?

It would be great if Blizzard was a bit more open on this and state what is the future for Starcraft's engine. We love their work anyway.

On the other hand, if some new tech in this regard is coming from Intel or AMD they probably are under NDA and cannot disclose any of that.
omg, what a collection of nonsence above.

StarCraft has one absolute requirement from the devloper's PoV: absolute predictability of results. Meaning the same situation ALWAYS has the same result - there is no random here, unlike WarCraft.

Dividing one army to one core, the other to the other core still means that at some moment you have to merge those results from different processing unit, working separately. And it does remove predictability from the equation - because the second core may have some other job to do at some moment, so haven't been able to process the same amount of data. Simple example of the unpredictable result: which of two marines, going at each other, had the first shot? The one processed by a core less busy at that moment?

Making sure this does not happen, I don't know, but I have a feeling it will never be worth it - the result will work slower, than single thread.

05/07/2019 06:18 AMPosted by Sacco
Maybe next gen CPUs will be able to automatically split single threads into multiple threads which is certainly a possibility.
can you please link some proof of this being "a possibility" ?