Co-op Mission Update - Alarak Revamp

Co-op Missions Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 13 Next
08/17/2018 11:15 AMPosted by monk
Upgrades
Ground Weapon upgrades renamed to Protoss Weapon upgrades.
Ground Armor upgrades renamed to Protoss Armor upgrades.
War Prisms, Motherships, and Destroyers will no longer start with 3 Air and 3 Ground upgrades, but instead will benefit from Alarak's upgrades from his Forge.

These changes are aimed at making Alarak’s upgrades work more consistently with those of other Commanders.

At least I expected Alarak will warp stargate or mothership will give a campaign spec when I read this sentence, but... meh so much disappointing weak & Fragile Destroyer being much useless and mothership is still using a taxi.
How many mastery points will the new overcharge need to fully clear an expo?
08/17/2018 11:38 AMPosted by NorseForce
The changes to structure overcharge are a buff, just so we're clear.

Original: 1 * 3.10 = 310%
New: 1.95 * 1.6 = 312%

32 old base dps
99.20 old dps with old mastery
62.4 new base dps
99.84 new mastery dps

This is a huge buff for players who don't always spend full mastery points on the overcharge, as it's easy to "waste" charges.
Alarak changes are still very weak.... why not just remove Shield overcharge from masteries, and give em 210% attack speed straight away. Other stuff seems ok with the exception of Death Fleet, could use a bit more damage, and we would love to see it stay on the field given the long cooldown....
08/17/2018 11:41 AMPosted by SneakyBeat
Cyclone's are worse then the Thor. Thor's are something I see Swann's pop out at late game if teamed up with Karax, nobody every bothers with Cyclones.

In my view, they are both the same problem.

08/17/2018 11:39 AMPosted by oyasion
Seriously? what about swann's Thor? Thor has same problem, If you want to change, Please let change Thor too.

What is the downvote for? I said the facts.
@Dark

The sixty precent is multiplied in to the base instead of added. Sixty percent of 1.95 is 1.17. Add those together for 3.12
To fully clear expansions, you need 23 points for a full clear using only the overcharge, or 22 points if you attack a rock with the probe like 4 times.
08/17/2018 11:15 AMPosted by monk
War Prisms, Motherships, and Destroyers will no longer start with 3 Air and 3 Ground upgrades, but instead will benefit from Alarak's upgrades from his Forge.

the 10 minute coolup (highest in the game?) death fleet will now feel even more underwhelming than it already is. this had to be nerfed clearly but glevig is just fine.
Thank you for buffing dragoons.

Frankly i have not played alarak in a long time but the changes sound nice.
Death fleet starting without upgrades is a bit of a nerf I guess? Besides, no tweaks for the mothership's attack damage or for destroyers' splash, no increased missile count for vanguards. Other than that - Slayers feel great, increased AOE for vanguards might help on infestation maps, but their damage still feels lacking. New empower me mastery feels awesome, but at the same time making it better causes death fleet mastery to look less appealing. Overall, I like the changes. Balances out the mech and psy builds fairly good.

Thanks for your work, Monk.

Edit: Totally forgot to speak about the masteries which are still onesided. Frankly speaking, I do believe it could've been a good idea to swap set 3 and set 2 aka "Empower me duration OR Overcharge efficiency" and "Death fleet duration OR Chronoboost efficiency". Or remove the chrono mastery and replace it with something. Besides, why no tweaks for set 1? No tweaks for DF cooldown as well + the upgrades' nerf feel underwhelming.

Edit #2: Maybe instead of chronoboost mastery introduce a "upgrade cost reduction" or "robotic facility units' cost reduction" mastery?
@Wintermelon

4000 hp of rocks.
Overcharge is 45s long, so you need 88.88 DPS.

88.88/62.4=1.43

22 points since you have to round up.
Seems like a good start. It's nice that pylon overcharge now isn't useless without mastery anymore.

But i still feel like that the HIGHLORD would have access to air units. Would be nice if alarak had an option to go actual air. Those cool void rays would be nice to be able to build as they are quite unique in how they function.
Alarak's 7lvl ability
"Lightning Surge" needs to be changed

it is completely useless now
also It has bugs wtih Sacrifice & Wrath of the Highlord
Thinking on it, I do think the Mothership in the Death Fleet should be given back the extreme basic attack power it had back in the campaign. With the loss of automatic maxed out air upgrades, the Death Fleet is looking weaker than ever.

The ultimate offensive Mothership should feel fairly ultimate. At the very least, some kind of compromise ought to be made.
Edited
I await to try these changes and is a significant buff to slayers and Alarak.

Since calculating percentages is causing confusion:
Current DPS of Structure overcharge: 32dps
Mastery = 2.24dps per point (7%) up to 67.2dps (210%)
Total = 32+67.2 = 99.2dps

New Structure overcharge: 62.4dps (32*1.95)
Mastery = 1.248 (2%) up to 37.44 (60%)
Total = 62.4+37.44 = 99.84dps

So why is this a good thing?

Well, pending tests (or health pool for rocks), I believe this is enough to kill the main rocks at the base (not gas) without mastery points. Without mastery, the overcharge now does 2808 damage as opposed to previous 1440 damage. If you want to kill all rocks, you would still need 22 points in it (4043.52 damage). *Thank you Arrow.*

Or you could choose to pop a pair of armor damaging slayers to kill gas rocks and have a 30% buff to chrono boost.

The empower me duration increase is nice for ascendant builds as Alarak can destroy the buildings better than ascendants.
Compared to the Vorazun revamp, I must say this one is lukewarm. Alarak needed much more attention than any of the other two commanders, but it was the one that changed the least. I mean, Death Fleet was nerfed, when it was quite lacking for a 10 minutes calldown that couldn't even defend against a late game attack wave on brutal. His biggest problem - mobility - was not addressed at all.

I hope you consider changing him a bit in the very next patch, because otherwise he will be the same as he is right now.
08/17/2018 12:30 PMPosted by Thovra
Compared to the Vorazun revamp, I must say this one is lukewarm. Alarak needed much more attention than any of the other two commanders, but it was the one that changed the least. I mean, Death Fleet was nerfed, when it was quite lacking for a 10 minutes calldown that couldn't even defend against a late game attack wave on brutal. His biggest problem - mobility - was not addressed at all.

I hope you consider changing him a bit in the very next patch, because otherwise he will be the same as he is right now.

He might still get more tweaks. Remember it took them a few tries with Fenix. But eventually he got there in the end.
I really like this changes. Very flavourful, and some great QoL tweaks. Being able to Overcharge War Prisms is something I've wanted forever. I always end up sitting on unused charges late game on offensive maps.

The only thing I'd add is instead of buffing the mastery, I'd really like it if Empower Me's duration was just buffed baseline. It's one of those things that feels very underwhelming without mastery because the default duration is so brief.
All very good

Unmastery overcharge should clear the central rock

Mech->Alarak is the super ascendant

Slayers gave a reason to blink

War Prisms > Pylons

Dragoons get something special and some dps boost