I want more new missions, less new commanders

Co-op Missions Discussion
Hi everyone, I'm new. I've been lurking on these forums for a year now. I don't know if I've seen this topic written before but:

I don't really care too much for new commanders. I'd rather have a lot more missions. If creating new commanders is what's keeping progress from going, I'd rather sacrifice that (have maybe two new commanders a year) and have tons of new missions. I think we can get at least a new mission a month if Blizzard's co-op team focused on that. What do you think?

(Obviously, I want both, but if I had to choose one more than the other...)
I don't think the same team develops both mission and commander.
09/14/2018 06:46 AMPosted by Nephalem
I don't think the same team develops both mission and commander.
I, too, have a hunch that commander creation and map creation are ultimately mutually exclusive.
Actually, there is some overlap. The art department seems to make new assets for both, while commander coding and map making uses the same edditor.

If the Coop team is reduced (logical since the game past it's prime rush period) they probably are forced to do both...

However, most of the work is data and testing it seems... Internally they probably are testing both the commander and a level tweaking one while QA plays with the other...

At least I noticed they tend to launch both a commander and map at the same time...

Also, commanders cost money and thus bring in revenue... Corporate logic, once StarCraft starts costing money instead of making, all development will drop.
Commanders make more money to Blizz, less commanders is a bad idea.
Id agree with this.

I prefer new maps, to new Commanders.

I was glad that at least this time the map and commander where released separately. Allows you to just play the map, get use to it, without a flood of people that are learning a new CO.

Same when the new CO came out, not a new map too. So people at least know the maps when they play.

Id love to see maps released more frequently, but definitely separately from COs.
This also spreads the new content out over the year. Gives people stuff little and often rather than big but rare.
I'd like to see at one point more community involvement in map/mission creation/development (even as an additional tab in missions for community created missions) - there were a lot of good ideas during that RTC2017 competition.
Personally I'd like the opposite. More commanders, less missions.
09/14/2018 07:35 AMPosted by SASRegiment
I'd like to see at one point more community involvement in map/mission creation/development (even as an additional tab in missions for community created missions) - there were a lot of good ideas during that RTC2017 competition.

The winner of that competition, Part and Parcel, is easily the most complained about map in coop history, which is fairly impressive given that its also has the second shortest lifespan.

Historically speaking, community involvement in things like map pools has usually gone poorly.
09/14/2018 07:55 AMPosted by Kelthar
The winner of that competition, Part and Parcel, is easily the most complained about map in coop history

Yeah - because of the announcer!

If player contributions help Blizzard come out with more maps faster I'm all for it. Part & Parcel has grown on me and Cradle of Death is... still growing on me, but it's getting there.
I have an idea how to finance new maps and make them free.
Like warchest is financing SC II eSport there should be Emoticon and portrait packs with a side where you can see how much % is needed until a new irregular map is financed so you get one more map then original planed.
09/14/2018 07:49 AMPosted by SniperJoe

I'm inclined to agree.
I'd like new maps of course, don't get me wrong. However, I would prefer Blizzard prioritising Commander development over map development, generally speaking.
At the end of the day it comes down to this:

No matter what they make the "new" will wear off in a week and we'll go back to our slow and steady pace.
09/14/2018 07:49 AMPosted by SniperJoe

Actually, if they deleted a map or two, especially from the earlier maps, I wouldn't shed any tears.
If I had my way, I'd want:

-> 2 New Commanders
-> Wait 30 days
-> 1 New Map
-> Wait 30 days
-> 2 New Commanders
-> Wait 30 days
-> 1 new Map

Repeat ad nauseaum.
Enough time to get used to each new map.
Always providing fresh content.
And no waiting queues, because 2 Commanders were released side-by-side.
Alas. *shrug*
I would also like to see more maps.
09/14/2018 07:35 AMPosted by SASRegiment

I've seen this idea brought up multiple times and I don't uderstand why people are downviting it or show little to no support at best. No one is going to force you to play community maps. They won't give you any EXP so don't worry that someone will have longer ascension bar than you. It also doesn't take resources from the teams working on commanders or maps, it requires some additional programing, not gameplay design and asset creation.

People want new content, you either give it to them or they get bored and play something else. In this case you don't even have to put the actual effort to create new maps, just step aside.
09/14/2018 08:28 AMPosted by Machariel

If player contributions help Blizzard come out with more maps faster I'm all for it. Part & Parcel has grown on me and Cradle of Death is... still growing on me, but it's getting there.

I wished they kept the original incarnations of those maps from the original submittors. I didn't like some of the changes Blizzard did to them.
I'd like to see a mix of both, since the content in a way is multiplied by the number of maps and the number of commanders, an equal amount of both giving the most bang for your buck.

Though if it comes down to it and the dev teams needs to make make more of either I wont complain, as long as co-op is co-op i'm happy
09/15/2018 01:00 AMPosted by SASRegiment
09/14/2018 08:28 AMPosted by Machariel

I wished they kept the original incarnations of those maps from the original submittors. I didn't like some of the changes Blizzard did to them.

Bring back the very attractive sounding announcer on the original parts and parcel. Davis is just so annoying, not to mention overly condescending.