Vega Appreciation Thread

Co-op Missions Discussion
Vega is a very powerful outlaw that isn’t getting enough love. Use this thread to share your Vega tips and experiences below.

For basics, Vega has two builds depending on her role:
1. Support Vega is recruited 3rd (4th on topbar) to provide detection and anti-air. Only research detection at engi and psi disruptor gear. Pair with high dps ground units like Cannonball and Kev.
2. Dominator Vega is recruited 1st (2nd on topbar) to build an army of high dps dominated units. Prioritize her ulti gear and 3 medivacs then add Nikara, Kev, and Nux for maximum army support. 1 engineering bay.

Support Vega is viable vs any ai composition. Dominator Vega is used vs Protoss/Terran.

Try Dominator Vega vs the bio tank science vessel ai comp and try to identify the OP Vega tactic. Share it here if you do; it’s amazing.
She is fun to use just not effective
09/10/2018 08:32 PMPosted by NaIL
She is fun to use just not effective

She is effective, just the problem is she isn’t any more effective than the other options and requires more effort that indiscriminately throwing turrets about or dropping a psi storm on top of a grenade.
Vega as just a Detector and Ensnare-bot is okay, although it gets better with the number of Muscle you're fielding. The real fireworks start when she's taking three huge units out of every wave and keeping them for five minutes. I've warped so many BCs around to Yamato things and give vision for Medivacs, lol.

The trick to keeping units you Dominate is to pick them up with the Medivac right away and place them behind your outlaws (Collosi seem to have an inconsistent bug where they'll be dropped elsewhere, but you can usually find them nearby). This keeps your units out of danger and shirks off any incidental damage they took, while immediately giving you access to their firepower in some cases.

I think the added effort is what's fun about her. Some people don't want to do the same thing every game; that's why they're doing all these revamps, to try and give people something else to try out from time to time.
09/10/2018 11:53 PMPosted by pirate
The trick to keeping units you Dominate is to pick them up with the Medivac right away and place them behind your outlaws

Good tip. I tested this out while leveling Tychus 12 to 15.
She has a very fun and interesting concept but in reality she doesn't perform well. For example what is the interest of microing to control so few units when you and your ally (this is important) have the power to make waves melt down in seconds. If you were playing alone you could have some fun play differently and slowly with her, but your ally won't care and will destroy everything.
I think to make her more interesting her and the dominated should be permanently cloaked, and dominated units should benfefit from the weapon research.
I like her. I think I'm going to take her more often. But the better army your ally has, the less you're able to gather up good units before they die off.

I wish she could ground Hybrids, but she has her uses and I like her against expensive units.

Anyway, it's quite possible that she'll be OP in certain minion buff mutations so that's something to consider for the future.
Has it occured to none of you that you might just not be good enough to use Vega to her potential? You're speaking in very certain and reductive terms about a highly complex subject.
09/11/2018 05:02 AMPosted by ViS
Has it occured to none of you that you might just not be good enough to use Vega to her potential? You're speaking in very certain and reductive terms about a highly complex subject.

Just show us your replay if you play her that great.

Finally a speedrunner-elitist comes to enlighten the plebs.
Hell, its about time.
Vega is not that bad but there are just much better choices.

Perhaps you can pick Vega as the last outlaw when the enemy is fielding expensive end-game units and you got enough $$ to insta-buy her relevant upgrades.

I had some limited fun dominating early game utility units like sentries which provided some useful buffs (such as guardian shield).

But generally Vega is less useful than other outlaws, especially because her spells do not affect Heroic units at all and her rifle is as bad as Nux.
You're speaking in very certain and reductive terms about a highly complex subject.
It's the curse of this forum. "X is useless" is probably the most common phrase.
Fun, but I won't pick her as first outlaw.

I usually use sirius for detection so I don't have to build a fixer. Then go for nux&vega at late game (If the game lasts that long (22min+) for mass domination fun. Having a ton of battlecruisers that can warp into fog is hella fun mobility with medivac.
I have not tested her out in anywhere near the amount of games that i should have, but so far, i like to use vega as an early game hero on maps with fortified bases. You can dominate the high hp units, and either severely weaken or demolish the bases with dominated units. This kinda feels similar to novas sabotage drone.

During the late game, i have not found much use for her. Since COOP is about killing stuff fast, Tychus shredder grenade and nux psi storm ability are usually my go to moves. Dominating units is more time consuming to me than using 2 abilitys to annihilate pretty much any unit based army.
Good for Terran and Protoss armies. Bad for Zerg armies.

If the push priorities for Tychus' forces is fixed and Vega gets longer range for her mind control, it would be even better.
I kinda wish her ultimate gear either increases the number of domination charges from 3 to 5, or provided permanent cloaking for her, in addition to its current functionality. She’s fun, but I feel she could use a small boost for her ultimate gear.

Being able to mind control 5 units per wave and keeping them for 5 minutes, along with Nux’s cooldown reduction to spam more domination, might be interesting.
Considering VEGA herself does low damage, has no way to directly affect Heroic units and fully depends on the enemy AI to bring powerful (worthy) units to make Domination useful, i would implement changes akin to these:

- Dominate always restores the target to full health, shields, energy and gives it cloak for 3 seconds (along with lowest priority for enemy to target so the dominated unit survives)
- Increase cast range of dominate by 20%
- whenever an AI (amon) unit is taken by any form of mind control that unit should retain all its upgrades and abilities.

First gear upgrade for Vega increases the number of maximum charges that Dominate can store up to 6 (from 3) and enables that "web" air units ability. Also gives VEGA permanent cloaking that can be toggled on or off.

Second upgrade makes Dominate last forever (permanent) and gives dominated units increased attack speed and attack damage, along with greater energy regeneration (if they have energy).

Third upgrade causes all dominated units to temporarily gain additional Armor, Attack Range and crowd-control (stuns, slows etc) immunity when VEGA casts dominate - also causes the AOE confusion against enemies that already exists as a current upgrade.

ULTIMATE upgrade for VEGA should be that her Dominate will now instantly mind control up to 2 additional enemy units per cast of Domination - preferring the highest population cost units first.

Sounds like "win button" to me. Keeping the upgrades? Yes, this sounds fair. Incrased cast range by a little? Maybe. Dominate permanent? Incrased stats for dominated units? Mind controlling multiple units? For love of God, just NO.
09/11/2018 02:26 PMPosted by Noobsaurus

Sounds like "win button" to me. Keeping the upgrades? Yes, this sounds fair. Incrased cast range by a little? Maybe. Dominate permanent? Incrased stats for dominated units? Mind controlling multiple units? For love of God, just NO.

what is this in response to. it has no context.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

what is this in response to. it has no context.
It’s in reply to the Stratos post right above it. I agree that those buffs would make her far too strong.