how can i specify skins

Editor Discussion
i want to use the tal`darim skins for my tal`darim faction. how do i do that?
You could just give the unit the model. As long as you include the dependency LotV you have access to the assets.

Most of the units will already be available. As for the buildings you can create the models for them just go to model tab and double click Art Model and search Tal'Darim and select the model you want for instance "Gateway_Taldarim.m3". Then you set the actors model to that model.

Or you can just change the swap the model the actor is using instead of making your own model.

If you're truly set on swapping skins instead of models the only way I know how is with texture declarations it's much more complicated and annoying then what I said before :P

First you have to find out how the model declares it's textures to do so you can open the cutscene editor find the model and set it in. Select the model and hit Shift+D.
Then in Materials find the declaration for the textures for gateway its in folder 1 and its declaration prefixes are Gateway_ followed by the texture (_Emissive, _Specular, _Normal, _Diffuse). (Actual appearance "Gateway_Diffuse" etc)

Now you have to go the the Gateway model and find Texture Declarations.

Add a Texture declaration, then add a Adaption. In the adaptions set the Slot to main. Set the Prefix to what the cutscene editor showed you in this case Gateway_. Then in Trigger on substring set to _Diffuse.
Now copy that adaption 2 times change diffuse to _Emissive, and _Specular.

Now Pull up the Textures tab create 3 textures with the corresponding ones in this case

Texture 1
File - gateway_taldarim_diff.dds (Diffuse)
Slot - main.diffuse

Texture 2
File - gateway_taldarim_spec.dds (Specular)
Slot - main.specular

Texture 3
File - gateway_taldarim_emiss.dds (Emissive)
Slot - main.emissive

Now finally you go the actor open up events and if you want all of them to appear this way do for each texture.

Actorcreation
Select Texture by ID
Texture 1

Actorcreation
Select Texture by ID
Texture 2

Actorcreation
Select Texture by ID
Texture 3

Now when game starts up they will appear with those textures instead. To change the crystals color on the gateway you'd have to do something similar...

Way better just using a model, altho this is a good way to make non taldarim units look like taldarim units.
it is likely that all versions of the buildings use the same model as that is only a wireframe. the skin is the stuff actually seen in game.
Yea as I said above they have a model with that skin applied already. You just need to make the model select it as the asset. Make the actor using that model. Make the unit using that actor, or make the current gateway use that model.

But if you really just want a texture swap that's the only way I know how. You'd have to swap every texture the normal Gateway uses with the Tal'darim Gateway textures. If you look at photon cannons you'll see they do exactly that for Dark Protoss Photon Cannon(or whatever).

Both ways will have have the same appearance in game because as you said its just applying the textures to the same model, but much easier just using the model that has the skin already applied.

Sorry I'm bad at explaining things :P.
09/30/2018 08:36 AMPosted by andreasasp
it is likely that all versions of the buildings use the same model as that is only a wireframe. the skin is the stuff actually seen in game.

Actually this is not the case, while for many buildings the shape of tal'darim and normal protoss are the same all of the units and certain buildings (photon cannons, for example) do in fact have a different shape and do not share a wireframe. There are also often upgrades that change the actors' models for you such as Dark Protoss and Covert Ops, you can use triggers to give those to a player.

Do keep in mind however that these skins were never meant to be used in a multiplayer setting meaning they do not show a player's color. I recommend using the skins from co-op (adding the allied commanders dependency) so that player colors still show up. (Blizz just hard codes it so Alarak players are dark red)