[Suggestion] Zeratul + Stone Zealot

Co-op Missions Discussion
So here's a slightly more uncertain idea for Zeratul, and that's to introduce the Stone Zealot as a new unit to build either at the Constructs Facility, or warped in directly by a Probe, requiring the Constructs Bay. If "Zealot" isn't Xel'Naga enough, it can be renamed.

For those who don't know, three of them appeared in a Wings of Liberty mission and they effectively function as Colossi, only without shields and a heap of HP.

Now, why do I bring this up as a suggestion? Well, being made of stone, it has a distinctive Xel'Naga origin about it and can cover two issues that Zeratul has, one being that he struggles against large swarms of small units (specifically Ling/Bling/Scourge), and has an excess of minerals.

If I had to give ball-park figures, they would be the following:
  • Warped in directly by the Probe equivalent
  • Requires the Constructs Bay
  • Requires the 3rd Artifact piece
  • Costs 1,000 minerals, 100 gas and 3 supply
  • Has 1,000 HP, 4 armour (base 1 with +3 armour upgrades), no shields and does 21*2 damage (15*2 with +3 weapons upgrades) in a small line akin to the Colossus
  • Can be targetted by both ground and air units
  • Types are: Massive, Untransportable

Their weapon is relatively weak but they are tanky - they are Stone Walls, an extreme version of a Mighty Glacier - and can provide distractions for Scourge that might otherwise charge headlong into the Temple on Temple of the Past. But above all else, they provide a mineral dump and a minimal gas cost. They are very A-Movey units, but their damage is low so aren't quite as effective as Void Templars and won't displace the massive burst damage of Abrogators and Enforcers.

How's it sound on paper at least?
Yeah they would make Abrogators useless though. The design team made a conscious decision on his AoE unit and I doubt they will change it.

They would've been cool but can't really add them now. They came up many times in previous Zeratul hero suggestions.
I would argue no, because Aborgators have much higher burst damage. Other things like slow movement speed on the Stone Zealot might be a possibility too. You might be right though.
They havent added a unit to any existing commander, alarak screamed more units but after all this time still nothing. Didnt do it in the past i doubt they start now.
11/17/2018 07:36 PMPosted by Kit
he struggles against large swarms of small units

are we playing a different hero?

Templar blink and Abrogators wipe the floor with bio swarm
I'm not really convinced, because:

• The Stone Zealot/Guardian was Tal'darim, I thought. It's disappointing to me that the Tal'darim were ever given the copy/paste Wrathwalker in Legacy of the Void, and not the Stone Zealot.
  • Zeratul should be mineral-locked, with gas usually being the resource he can't spend. Partly this is because of Enforcer or Ambusher compositions, but it's always the case because of Tesseract Cannons.
  • VT and Abrogators fill the roles you describe, with the exception of Scourge bait.
  • I can't imagine giving a no-shield unit to a Protoss commander with shield-healing Sentries.
  • Untransportable in an army with Void Array mobility is crippling.
11/17/2018 07:36 PMPosted by Kit
Now, why do I bring this up as a suggestion? Well, being made of stone, it has a distinctive Xel'Naga origin about it and can cover two issues that Zeratul has, one being that he struggles against large swarms of small units (specifically Ling/Bling/Scourge), and has an excess of minerals.

Against Swarm Zerg, you have Disruptors to do ground AoE, Immortals to do air AoE damage, calldown Zealots and High Templar can kill the whole wave alone, and Avatar to tank the Hybrids. What more do you need?