Blizzard is wrong regarding Story DLC

General Discussion
Not worth the effort?
Not profitable enough?

That seems to be the OFFICIAL opinion and stance regarding Story DLC/campaign/mission packs.

But they are wrong ... and to some level a little heartless.

I understand that making new missions is a huge project. With the exception of cinematics, there probably isn't' any part of SC2 that takes more development time than making a map pack. So I understand the lack of motivation to do so and the burn out that happens with game developers.

But are they truly not worth the time? Is there lost opportunity costs with focusing on story content?

Warcraft III: Reforged says otherwise. In fact during this announcement I got the itch to play SCRemastered AND all the other campaign RTS's from blizzard once again. So yes you might play it once, but I always look forward to playing it again in the future.

Interest in other game modes: New story missions always galvanizes my interest in playing 1v1 MP and Coop. Therefore there is some hidden desire to either buy a warchest or a commander if I know that the story is still being expanded and loved.

These benefits might not be obvious when you look at Time/Cost/Profit ratios on some corporate financial statements. But imagine if there was no Starcraft campaign? Would SC be as popular if we never meant Jim Raynor, Fenix and Kerrigan? A SC with only MP would be a sad and dark place indeed.

I my opinion Blizzard RTS campaigns are the Best in the industry.
I

11/05/2018 01:19 PMPosted by Zemini

These benefits might not be obvious when you look at Time/Cost/Profit ratios on some corporate financial statements. But imagine if there was no Starcraft campaign? Would SC be as popular if we never meant Jim Raynor, Fenix and Kerrigan? A SC with only MP would be a sad and dark place indeed.

[/quote]

I like this opinion. Also looking fowward to replay war3
Blizzcon order: Wow-Sc2-D3

2 years for more contend it's a long time
Skins and commanders are less work for same prise.
Honestly, I'd rather see a Starcraft 3 than more dlc for a couple reasons. Biggest being a new game with an updated engine.
I'm wary of a SC3 at this time because I'm worried it would split the competitive scene up even further than the SC2/BW split that we have right now. BUT, I would absolutely love to see more story driven single player content added to SC2.

I know that the devs of WoW constantly talk about how everyone plays the game a little differently, some focus on raiding, some play PvP, others just like casual questing, heck, some people just like making gold. And they try to ensure that all these play styles are catered to.

StarCraft is similar. Sure, plenty of people love the Co-op, others play competitively. For me, the meat and potatoes has been single player campaigns. Even the long period between Brood War and StarCraft II's release was spent by me playing mostly custom campaigns (the poor support for this in how the StarCraft II Arcade is set up has been a sore point for me).

So I would ask that the SC2 devs not abandon players like myself, and not consider the development of story driven single player content a waste of resources.
11/06/2018 02:55 AMPosted by Talus
Honestly, I'd rather see a Starcraft 3 than more dlc for a couple reasons. Biggest being a new game with an updated engine.

This is the only reason I can see a sc3 coming out. There will be a point where sc2 has the same problem scbw has where machines won't run it well because it's so old. I'm not sure how soon that will come and I'm not a programmer so maybe it never will.
Why do they need to put in so much work? Just use the map editor and make some cheapy downloadable campaigns like they did with Brood War and the Enslavers campaign back in the day. Tell us they're canon. No voice actors and no cinematic animations required.
I think they're correct in saying that content for Co-op Commanders has more replayability. It's still not an excuse to shift lore content to online comics and videos the way they've done for other franchises.
allot of AAA companies show you it isn't about making profit, it's about making metric !@#$ tons of money, could story dlc make good money? sure, will it make a %^-* ton of money? no so it's not ''profitable'' enough hence not a good idea to make it
11/06/2018 11:06 PMPosted by havikryan
allot of AAA companies show you it isn't about making profit, it's about making metric !@#$ tons of money, could story dlc make good money? sure, will it make a %^-* ton of money? no so it's not ''profitable'' enough hence not a good idea to make it

This is a dumb comment. You have no idea how much a campaign costs.
11/06/2018 11:21 PMPosted by todespolka
11/06/2018 11:06 PMPosted by havikryan

This is a dumb comment. You have no idea how much a campaign costs.

does it matter how much it costs? if something else creates more money than a campaign then obviously they won't go for creating a campaign, Activision Blizzard is all about making the most amount of money possible
I feel like they're probably just tired of making campaigns. Not that it isn't worth it or anything, just tired.
If anyone enjoys Starcraft story and lore please consider reading my side project, StoryCraft.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/sc2/topic/20768636998#post-12
Lol but mobile Diablo is more important.
WoW took center stage when it comes to announcements this year. If they were to do a DLC for SC2 expect it at the next blizzcon or something.

Problem with this is that it would take longer to do a full game than a mission pack.

Not to also mention that the WHOLE series was building up to the end of LOTV. What could Blizzard possibly do for a whole new campaign, or should I say... Three campaigns.
Make another big evil? Amon was a being literally made up of energy. Kerrigan is now Starcraft's big skymommy, so we can't do another Amon.
Make the Zerg kill everyone again? With the purifiers and the Taldarim in the mix, I don't think even Zagara, after she learns to be KErrigan's equal as a commander, could pull it off.

Only possible chance is maybe an isolated pocket of the Dominion's researchers in a random asteroid field (you know, the ones who literally created shields, Terran Zealots, and Warping for Terran tech and soldiers) used their protoss-learned tech additions, and Terran ingenuity, to create a stupidly powerful force able to take out the other players, or at least provide enough competition on resources, to destabilize relations between all 3 factions.

Only plot line is this. The UED's Expeditionary force, which utterly failed, never got word back to Earth one word or another. This force had an Admiral with it, meaning they didn't just throw a fleet out one way, thinking nothing would come of it.

I'd said it multiple times, and I'll say it again. Given how the UED were more technologically advanced than the Terran Confederacy or the Dominion, during the time the UED were in the Koprulu Sector, it's easily possible to say that the UED are capable of being even further ahead.

OR, they have their own problems, like maybe Niadra's pod has crash-landed on a UED world, it DID end up far outside of communication range of the Swarm, and currently Niadra's ripping them a new one, and we'd take command of a UED platoon or something.

It's really all they have left for story honestly, other than "The factions piss at one another, constantly fighting for territory in an age where realistically, Starcraft doesn't have to take place in the Koprulu anymore, but instead the Milky Way.

Only other ways, is to reboot the lore, or do it Command and conquer style. Write a crap load of story points, and advance the timeline to the point where there'd be a new, huge time of war. Maybe through expansion, the Zerg, or Terran factions find a new interstellar civilization and due to no ability to speak english, or them simply not being that big of a threat, said civilization wages war on the 3 other empires.

Or we just simply have events where maybe the Zerg, Protoss and Terran fragment a couple times, ending up with drastically different offshoot factions, culturally and technologically. Already have that with the normal protoss and the Taldarim. And we just end up with a game that's akin to the scale of Warhammer 40K. I mean, the Zerg sorta already did rip off the Tyrannids, if that's even possible, when they're basically just H.R. Geiger's aliens, but gross in a different way.

I always said that, the only thing that stops most sci-fi factions from contending with WH40K, is simply just scale, which isn't just about the number of soldiers, their size, and level of technology, but also time. No sci-fi has any factions, other than WH40K, where multiple factions own like 12% of a galaxy.

I dunno, spitballing. Until Blizzard figures that out though, Starcraft 3 is never happening. They COULD do a spinoff, where they turn the clock back, but i dunno.

I feel it's more likely that Starcraft: Ghost would happen before 3.
11/11/2018 12:20 AMPosted by StormyFacade

Problem with this is that it would take longer to do a full game than a mission pack.

Not to also mention that the WHOLE series was building up to the end of LOTV. What could Blizzard possibly do for a whole new campaign, or should I say... Three campaigns.
Make another big evil? Amon was a being literally made up of energy. Kerrigan is now Starcraft's big skymommy, so we can't do another Amon.
Make the Zerg kill everyone again? With the purifiers and the Taldarim in the mix, I don't think even Zagara, after she learns to be KErrigan's equal as a commander, could pull it off.

Only possible chance is maybe an isolated pocket of the Dominion's researchers in a random asteroid field (you know, the ones who literally created shields, Terran Zealots, and Warping for Terran tech and soldiers) used their protoss-learned tech additions, and Terran ingenuity, to create a stupidly powerful force able to take out the other players, or at least provide enough competition on resources, to destabilize relations between all 3 factions.

Only plot line is this. The UED's Expeditionary force, which utterly failed, never got word back to Earth one word or another. This force had an Admiral with it, meaning they didn't just throw a fleet out one way, thinking nothing would come of it.

I'd said it multiple times, and I'll say it again. Given how the UED were more technologically advanced than the Terran Confederacy or the Dominion, during the time the UED were in the Koprulu Sector, it's easily possible to say that the UED are capable of being even further ahead.

OR, they have their own problems, like maybe Niadra's pod has crash-landed on a UED world, it DID end up far outside of communication range of the Swarm, and currently Niadra's ripping them a new one, and we'd take command of a UED platoon or something.

It's really all they have left for story honestly, other than "The factions piss at one another, constantly fighting for territory in an age where realistically, Starcraft doesn't have to take place in the Koprulu anymore, but instead the Milky Way.

Only other ways, is to reboot the lore, or do it Command and conquer style. Write a crap load of story points, and advance the timeline to the point where there'd be a new, huge time of war. Maybe through expansion, the Zerg, or Terran factions find a new interstellar civilization and due to no ability to speak english, or them simply not being that big of a threat, said civilization wages war on the 3 other empires.

Or we just simply have events where maybe the Zerg, Protoss and Terran fragment a couple times, ending up with drastically different offshoot factions, culturally and technologically. Already have that with the normal protoss and the Taldarim. And we just end up with a game that's akin to the scale of Warhammer 40K. I mean, the Zerg sorta already did rip off the Tyrannids, if that's even possible, when they're basically just H.R. Geiger's aliens, but gross in a different way.

I always said that, the only thing that stops most sci-fi factions from contending with WH40K, is simply just scale, which isn't just about the number of soldiers, their size, and level of technology, but also time. No sci-fi has any factions, other than WH40K, where multiple factions own like 12% of a galaxy.

I dunno, spitballing. Until Blizzard figures that out though, Starcraft 3 is never happening. They COULD do a spinoff, where they turn the clock back, but i dunno.

I feel it's more likely that Starcraft: Ghost would happen before 3.

They could simply start a new story for SC3 with 500 years after from SC2. I mean, was'n't this kinda work on Diablo 3 and Wacraft 3; A time skip from their previous series.
11/11/2018 12:20 AMPosted by StormyFacade

Actually, we have seen Niadra in the comics so far. She is... really strong, and she’s 100% independant, so she’s a great option to add some multiple factions of Zerg.

Meanwhile, Alarack has his own agendas to push where he doesn’t really care about what relations he is obliterating.

Throw the UED in there and you can create a big huge mess of all matchup fighting all ways. There’s plenty of promise, and this time we don’t have to have “big bad” that everyone clobbers.
"Big bads" like Amon make for terrible story-telling.

BW was a successful story because the writing was focused on characters who were equals; events felt gritty and fresh. Each campaign had a satisfying conclusion, even if that conclusion may not be what your character would have hoped for. The theme is "manipulation", Raynor by Mengsk, DuGalle by Duran, Mengsk, Fenix, and Raynor by Kerrigan, and Kerrigan by Duran again at the end.

This SC2 Amon thing is like the classic "hey let's all unite together and use our flower power to take down Voldemort". Totally lame.