New commanders are good, but...

Co-op Missions Discussion
With every new commander that's added, it comes with diminishing returns in terms of its reception. I can only speak for myself, so for me personally, while I like seeing these new commanders to give a bit more variability to playing, I feel like we have a nice mix of commanders right now.

I would much rather see these commanders (as well as the current map pool) be used for different modes of play. Some examples I can give:
1. 3/4-player modes
2. A more competitive mode where leaderboards are relevant
3. A risk-style procedural campaign for 1-2 players, where you can choose multiple locations/worlds to fight on and each battle can provide unique bonuses beyond the standard commander toolkit. With an AI enemy to try push you back.

Or other features be added to commanders, such as:
1. An optional loadout for each commander that can provide buffs, maybe a unique unit, a unique spell, etc
2. Special commander synergies for every combination.
Why are you downvoted ?
11/09/2018 09:45 AMPosted by Frosty

1. 3/4-player modes

I think it's:
https://i.gifer.com/1456.gif
Blizzard needs to figure out how to make and monetize fun missions. I'd like to see 2:1 or 3:1 mission to commander ratio going forward.
11/10/2018 03:17 AMPosted by Dead

1. 3/4-player modes

I think it's:
https://i.gifer.com/1456.gif

No problem to half a supply cap.
11/10/2018 03:21 AMPosted by nakayuri
Blizzard needs to figure out how to make and monetize fun missions. I'd like to see 2:1 or 3:1 mission to commander ratio going forward.

3:1 mission to commander? 1 commander doing 3 missions?
I think they mean that for every commander that is released, they'd like to see two or three new missions.
11/10/2018 02:05 AMPosted by xandar
Why are you downvoted ?

There's no way that's more than one or two trolls. It's a reasonable idea and mostly an uncontroversial opinion. I'd expect to see 1 or 2 up or downvotes at most. No worries.

But anyways, I think more ways to use commanders would be nice. Would also keep me playing a whole lot more if I could solo play it because I generally only play with friends, and they aren't on much anymore.
Why are you downvoted ?

I don't think the down votes are for him being a troll or people disliking him, but I think they stem from people who disagree with him. Maybe he could further elaborate?
11/10/2018 07:16 PMPosted by Frosty
Why are you downvoted ?

There's no way that's more than one or two trolls. It's a reasonable idea and mostly an uncontroversial opinion. I'd expect to see 1 or 2 up or downvotes at most. No worries.

But anyways, I think more ways to use commanders would be nice. Would also keep me playing a whole lot more if I could solo play it because I generally only play with friends, and they aren't on much anymore.
It is primarily because it has been discussed before time and again and the answer is that it always unfeasible on the SC2 engine and also for a fact the dev team has no interest in making such things unless there is a strong enough economical incentive. The fact is, there is not enough manpower. There is nothing more to discuss except to explore unrealistic hopes and dreams.
11/11/2018 04:40 AMPosted by BroodHive
Why are you downvoted ?

I don't think the down votes are for him being a troll or people disliking him, but I think they stem from people who disagree with him. Maybe he could further elaborate?

The down votes are maybe because OP's suggestions are different modes, not coop mode.
Also the suggestions are not new, and have been rejected before. SC2 engine cannot handle more than 2 players. Versus mode is not balanced. Coop would suffer if Blizzard would balance commanders for pvp.
Campaign is not coop mode, so should be discussed somewhere else.
11/11/2018 05:44 AMPosted by Alex
Campaign is not coop mode, so should be discussed somewhere else.

Actually the idea was a 1 player to 2 player coop procedural campaign, meaning you play the exact same maps that you do now with another person. The difference is you progress from one to the next, where there are choices between which worlds you fight on. And each choice provides your team a benefit beyond your commanders' toolkit. It would be fairly limited and not worth it if it only used each current map once, or if it couldn't throw in random melee-style maps to fill in some holes.

I also don't think the idea of commander synergies has been discussed, and that would be much simpler to implement.

But in any case, if there is still a team able to develop every aspect of the new commander assets, then there is still enough devs to develop another addon feature to coop mode. As has been said, the only deterrent is how well they think it would be received by the community.

...also, 21 downvotes doesn't just happen because the whole community comes on and disagrees at the exact same time, and I know half the thoughts here haven't been discussed before. If there were that many people disagreeing with new ideas, I'm sure at least one of them would explain why (which none have as of yet). All the ideas here are coop-related, not some random new sc2 game mode for solo play.
I also feel like coop mode needs a more interesting way to play it just based on that I used to know five friends who played and now there are none... it gets old fast because the only change from one game to the next (on the same map) is the enemy race you're playing against.
11/11/2018 07:53 AMPosted by Frosty
I know half the thoughts here haven't been discussed before.

3+ coop has, synergy has, leader boards has, coop pvp has, coop campaign has been a tangent in multiple coop suggestion threads. Your unique ideas have been discussed before I don't know how you are the *first* to bring up something that has been discussed in the past.

3+ COOP won't be fun if you get Stukov/Raynor/Zagara. The game engine itself was not top of the line 10 years ago it was never optimized to be compatible with multi core processors either. The reason we don't have the 3+ coop mode comes from 3 things balance which feeds the other 2 problems, over population of maps, and system strain as the final problem.

3 commanders means either we need weaker commanders or more enemies (probably both for hard and brutal players.) Weakening results in nerfs which gets complaints and then removed nerfs, so wave size gets increased instead. Overpopulation of maps causes lag as the hardware/software strain to process what the game is doing and sync it with at least 3 computers. The engine itself(the software) CAN NOT HANDLE IT!

11/11/2018 07:53 AMPosted by Frosty
I also don't think the idea of commander synergies has been discussed, and that would be much simpler to implement.

There are and have been multiple synergy threads one is still active. All commanders have a degree of synergy when played in a cooperative manner. Also quite a few commanders are barely *allies* as it is so why would they have *special combination specific* synergy? Coding in 32+ possible passive auras/effects sounds like a whole lot of work for a *casual* game mode.

1. An optional loadout for each commander that can provide buffs, maybe a unique unit, a unique spell, etc

We have a couple of those already.That is Zeratul/Tychus and our mastery options. We don't get heavily customized unit load outs because they would subtract from some commander identities.
Thanks for giving some feedback. :)

I see what you're saying in all those cases. The last one though regarding 'optional loadouts' is already partly in-place via mastery levels. Except when you're max level, it's no longer an option. The identity of each commander doesn't need to be diminished by giving some options.

But otherwise, the only idea that would really keep my friends coming back, and me more frequently, is the idea of a procedural risk-style coop campaign map. But I understand that'd be a large amount of work for them to do.