ALARAK TRULY NEEDS SOME REVAMP

Co-op Missions Discussion
PLAYED ALARAK CO-OP for more than 500 times.
UNFORTUNATELY, I always admit that ALARAK needs some REVAMP.
He has some serious issues as follows

1. super BAD Mobility - this is fine, as a cost of mobility, he got FIREPOWER

2. useless LEVEL-UP UPGRADES : OVERPOWERED, LIGHTNING-SURGE, WRATH OF THE HIGHLORD - truly needs some fix or change. These upgrades are HARDLY helping my game. COME ON Blizzard. OTHER folk has FREE 200 SUPPLY and INSTANT WARP-GATING............. or AUTOMATED ASSMILATOR.......

3. NO AIRFORCE...? - I remember DEATH FLEET is TALDARIM's CORE and.... it is highly disappointing that taldarim cannot produce airforce other than summoning.

4. NO DEVELOPMENT BONUS... As a cost of useless LEVEL-UP upgrades, ALARAK has NO-BONUS on building up his TECH-TREE. As a RESULT, he needs hell lot of time to produce either ASECENDANT or WRATHWALKER....

5. NO HEALING, NO RECOVERY - can Alarak get some repair tool? Whenever Wrathwalkers are severely damaged, he needs to depend on ally commander to fix them.....
Alarak needs a remake, not a revamp. The core of him is just plain broken since he got rushed out the door.
Description states "command the death fleet"

Reality means use weak calldown every few minutes.

He lacks mobility and the ability to split his army like other commanders.

And he also lacks the ability for sustained combat - no way to heal his armies and you really can't reinforce mech units like with Artanis.

Blizzard could consider remaking War Prisms to work like the new transport unit for Zerathul. Load units onto one prism, unload in any other.

Just give us something we can work with...
In general he just isn't very fun.
11/10/2018 09:09 PMPosted by SneakyBeat
Alarak needs a remake, not a revamp. The core of him is just plain broken since he got rushed out the door.

I'd argue just his death fleet and his production need to be actually reworked: the hero unit, structure overcharge, and (most of) the current units are fine. (With some number tweaks)
Definitely the last commander in my ranking. Wish he was truly reworked as he deserves.
11/11/2018 12:32 AMPosted by RMJ
In general he just isn't very fun.

I dunno, I find his Ascendant play quite fun. I feel quite a rush, reinforcing supplicants and adding more ascendants and spamming orb in between gateway recharges.
I love Alarak, but Ive grown way too lazy to repeat the ascendants routine. I mean every commander has 1 superstrong option. But with Alarak that option is suggested by design. His mech is counterintuitive and completely doesnt fit the rest of his talent tree. These plus the 1qe2c and the recent death (dead) fleet nerfs sealed my deal with the commander.
So laughable to see commanders like Tychus and Zeratul and then comparing them to Alarak.
11/11/2018 02:11 AMPosted by MountainKing
I love Alarak, but Ive grown way too lazy to repeat the ascendants routine. I mean every commander has 1 superstrong option. But with Alarak that option is suggested by design. His mech is counterintuitive and completely doesnt fit the rest of his talent tree. These plus the 1qe2c and the recent death (dead) fleet nerfs sealed my deal with the commander.
So laughable to see commanders like Tychus and Zeratul and then comparing them to Alarak.

Ascendants outkill Tychus and his crew though, against heavy sky formations specifically.
Alarak needs his old 1qe2c, and death fleet back just to break even. And then some more sacrifice synergies to enhance his unique playstyle.
11/11/2018 04:46 AMPosted by BlackestStar
Alarak needs his old 1qe2c, and death fleet back just to break even. And then some more sacrifice synergies to enhance his unique playstyle.
That's still too little. He was quite crap before any nerfs, so there is nothing to break even. Several puny touchups is what the "revamp" did, and that clearly was nowhere close enough. His unique playstyle is still quite stale for the army he has.
Honestly, I find all blizzard's recent work extremely disappointing. Having their best developers working on mobile games instead of improving their successful ones.

They said that co-op was their biggest success in Starcraft 2, and yet it feels like they have only 2 developers working on it.

Alarak, whom is one of the most bad !@# characters I have ever seen, sadly has the worst play-style. so little effort spent on him.
Blizzard fixed Fenix after multiple patches, eventually making bigger canges, resulting in a fun and viable commahnder. But it took them some time, and iterations.
I trust Blizzard to Fix Alarak as well.
I hope they look at Alarak again, and they don't consider Alarak final at this point.
11/10/2018 08:58 PMPosted by SnackNSmack

i do not think this is fine. if it was single player then yes, but in coop when you have someone with high mobility like tychus you are just constantly falling behind.
11/11/2018 06:02 AMPosted by Dark
11/10/2018 08:58 PMPosted by SnackNSmack

i do not think this is fine. if it was single player then yes, but in coop when you have someone with high mobility like tychus you are just constantly falling behind.

Com'on, Alarak has so much firepower that you actually can make 2 or 3 deathballs out of a supply cap army. And here you are, you have mobility :)
Not talking of just sending 2 probes and pylon overcharging an objectives while your army can /dance

I only agree that Tychus should pay for his firepower and mobility by being a bit more fragile, so it becomes a harder commander to play the 'wipe the map' style.
11/11/2018 06:25 AMPosted by Mavax
I only agree that Tychus should pay for his firepower and mobility by being a bit more fragile, so it becomes a harder commander to play the 'wipe the map' style.

Tychus is vulnerable to burst damage, especially without the medic. His thing is that he kills attack waves well before they can hurt him, not necessarily that he can face tank infinite damage.
What i would like to see is if they decide selendis is not a commanderbthey want to make why not give alarak a deathfleet? Alarak lacks units so why not remove his deathfleet top bar and make them into build units.
I agree that Alarak could use some love... but not as much as people here make it seem. My main issue with him is the lack of repair and air units.

As for mobility (which gets stated a lot here) a well timed death fleet calldown can provide you with enough mobility for pretty much any situation. Granted, it has a long cooldown, but that can be reduced by the mastery... it only gave 60s before and they upped it to 120s - which is quite nice.

Also, Alarak has some tools to defend attacks without his hero unit or his main army being present... strategic building placement is the key here. Warping in a few ascendants and supplicants with 1 photon overcharge on a high HP building (like warpgates) can hold against even late game attacks.

So yeah - Alarak has some issues. But he has some nice tools too... especially for low supply defense.
A lot of issues with Alarak are because his army and kit just has reverse synergy with the hero.

Your hero has two main skills and a passive that causes him to rush forward into danger (this is fine, and works relatively well with sacrificing supplicants for power) His main skill is a large aoe knockback and damage, and the other main skill is another rush forward.

Now, the knockback works really poorly with his army because of the poor mobility, knockback either pushes units into your army negating your range advantage, or away from your army and out of their range. Vanguards miss their attacks and the majority of your units and abilities are effective against clumped up enemies, knocking them around is counter productive.

The charge brings Alarak forward, often too far for your army to provide proper support, while this works with sacrificing supplicants it focuses enemy attention on Alarak meaning your army will be struggling to get involved. This ends up forcing them to either be ineffective or run after Alarak into danger where they lack the sustainability to function properly.

The fantasy of Alarak is that your army boosts your hero, and your hero becomes more powerful as their forces support him. Sadly this works very poorly in practice, Alarak is the weakest hero unit and his ultimate, which has a heavy requirement of having a decent number of units (and in close proximity) is very underwhelming. Kerrigan can wipe out an entire base with the press of a button with a lower cooldown and no further requirements. Alarak requires his army to be nearby and he'll be slightly stronger in his usual goings, and even in an ideal scenario will struggle to deal anywhere near the damage Kerrigan will do (and that's not even counting Kerrigan using her regular skills over the same time-period) So in the end, your hero, even with all the support you can muster, is much weaker.

Alarak then also has the massive weakness of not having an air option, most commanders that have a weakness get something in return. But what about Alarak?... Nothing, apparently. His gound forces are neither stronger nor more versatile, you can praise ascendants all you want but in practice they're only slightly more potent than a pack of Archons, their relative increase in strength comes with it's own downside of having to feed them supplicants.

Having downsides with no upsides seems to define Alarak as a commander. Weird design seems to be a theme as well, with Vanguards missing due to Alarak's main ability, but also Alarak being the only protoss commander without a kind of zealot, while being the one commander that would benefit the most from having a melee unit charging into the fray alongside him rather than standing far away.
i am not sure what they should change but, they should make his space units buildable. no other commander have a mothership after all. his destroyers and mothership can be enabled at level up instead of as a summon.