Maru vs Serral Bo7

General Discussion
Who takes it, what round, and why? Go
IMO, Serral wins 4-3 because on game 7 he will somehow end up winning through sheer resilience. It will also be a close and entertaining series.
Maru would win maybe 1-2 games but I think Serral would have a convincing win. If Leenock and Reynor could stretch Maru at the GSL like they did then it shouldn't be difficult for Serral to beat him.
Depends on how long after the new patch they have time to practice. On the old patch, Serral has a fairly decisive victory in the fifth or sixth round. Maru relies on a degree of uncertainty about his play that was wearing off pretty quickly. But with the new patch, he can change up his play and bring back that uncertainty, so he can put up a much stronger fight. If they played tomorrow, I would give it to Maru in round 6 or 7.
In macro games Maru doesn't stand a chance, but he might be able to cheese his way to a win.
11/29/2018 09:01 PMPosted by niteowl
In macro games Maru doesn't stand a chance, but he might be able to cheese his way to a win.

Not true, his macro in TvZ is solid and he would be able to put up a good fight against Serral being able to take a few games off him with macro play. However, to win the whole series, he would need to rely on a few wins of cheese too.
11/29/2018 09:10 PMPosted by Raver
11/29/2018 09:01 PMPosted by niteowl

Not true, his macro in TvZ is solid and he would be able to put up a good fight against Serral being able to take a few games off him with macro play. However, to win the whole series, he would need to rely on a few wins of cheese too.

Maru's macro TvZ is nowhere close to Serral's level.
11/29/2018 09:46 PMPosted by Shahzad
11/29/2018 09:10 PMPosted by Raver

Evidence? I know he got owned by Serral that one game in GSL vs. The World, but that doesn't say much. He has already beaten all of the top Zergs in 2018: Rogue, Reynor, Dark, soO with macro games.

I still think Serral will beat him in a Bo7 series, but Maru can take a few games off him playing macro TvZ and would need a few cheese wins to have a chance to win the series.

The only MU Maru's macro is lackluster is TvP. So yeah, Serral is likely superior to Maru in macro TvZ, but the gap is not that big and it will likely be close matches IMO.
11/29/2018 09:55 PMPosted by Raver
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Evidence? I know he got owned by Serral that one game in GSL vs. The World, but that doesn't say much. He has already beaten all of the top Zergs in 2018: Rogue, Reynor, Dark, soO with macro games.

I still think Serral will beat him in a Bo7 series, but Maru can take a few games off him playing macro TvZ and would need a few cheese wins to have a chance to win the series.

The only MU Maru's macro is lackluster is TvP. So yeah, Serral is likely superior to Maru in macro TvZ, but the gap is not that big and it will likely be close matches IMO.

After the Raven nerf Maru only played against Rogue, Reynor and Leenock in Code S and every one of those matches went the distance. In his win over Rogue he won 2 games with 2 base all ins and one with an aggressive drop at the beginning and lost both standard macro games. His wins against Reynor and Leenock were super close and neither of those players are even close to Serral's level.

I actually don't see any evidence suggesting Maru could make it a close series with Serral.
I mean I'd agree with the Serral winning posts but both Taeja and Inno gave him a rough time at homestorycup so i'd say unless he puts out a better showing than that, Maru could easily take it. Despite Maru seeming off recently

After the Raven nerf Maru only played against Rogue, Reynor and Leenock in Code S and every one of those matches went the distance. In his win over Rogue he won 2 games with 2 base all ins and one with an aggressive drop at the beginning and lost both standard macro games. His wins against Reynor and Leenock were super close and neither of those players are even close to Serral's level.

I actually don't see any evidence suggesting Maru could make it a close series with Serral.

The game he won against Rogue with the aggressive drop in the beginning transitioned into a standard macro game so it still counts as a standard macro game win.

You still need macro skill to win it even if a game starts off as a proxy or a 2 base all in, it doesn't matter. It's only a non standard game if it is won with a proxy or a 2 base all in and never transitions into macro.

Also, Reynor is close to Serral in skill, he nearly beat Serral in an intense 4-3 loss in the finals of WCS Montreal. Like ProjctOrigin said, if Taeja and Innovation can put up a decent fight against Serral, so can Maru.
11/29/2018 09:55 PMPosted by Raver
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Maru and Rogue definitely seem to win trade (in the literal sense, not the cheating sense), I wouldn't say Maru is any better than Rogue to be honest.
11/29/2018 11:33 PMPosted by Raver

The game he won against Rogue with the aggressive drop in the beginning transitioned into a standard macro game so it still counts as a standard macro game win.

You still need macro skill to win it even if a game starts off as a proxy or a 2 base all in, it doesn't matter. It's only a non standard game if it is won with a proxy or a 2 base all in and never transitions into macro.

Also, Reynor is close to Serral in skill, he nearly beat Serral in an intense 4-3 loss in the finals of WCS Montreal. Like ProjctOrigin said, if Taeja and Innovation can put up a decent fight against Serral, so can Maru.

I'm not saying Maru can't put up a fight in a macro game but it's clear he's not at the same level as Serral or even Rogue. I'll give him the game on acid plant against Rogue as a macro game but that still puts him behind.

Reynor is not close to Serral's level, their series was close because ZvZ is super volatile. Reynor hasn't been able to beat any top players consistently like Serral has. Reynor loses to players that Serral breezes by.

Innovation and Taeja stretching Serral at HSC wasn't much evidence of anything. The series against Taeja in particular was really sloppy from Serral's side and he was still able to win, and it was most likely because Serral didn't take the tournament very seriously. I think he also may have went mutalisk against him in almost every game and that definitely made the series much harder than it needed to be. He tried mutalisk once against Inno and then switched back to hydra and won every macro game.

Anyway, provided Serral is ready for Maru's cheese I don't see Maru being able to do much against him.

Maru and Rogue definitely seem to win trade (in the literal sense, not the cheating sense), I wouldn't say Maru is any better than Rogue to be honest.

You can say Maru and Rogue are equals as they are teammates and know how to best one another, but you can't say Rogue is better than Maru.

I'm not saying Maru can't put up a fight in a macro game but it's clear he's not at the same level as Serral or even Rogue. I'll give him the game on acid plant against Rogue as a macro game but that still puts him behind.

Reynor is not close to Serral's level, their series was close because ZvZ is super volatile. Reynor hasn't been able to beat any top players consistently like Serral has. Reynor loses to players that Serral breezes by.

Innovation and Taeja stretching Serral at HSC wasn't much evidence of anything. The series against Taeja in particular was really sloppy from Serral's side and he was still able to win, and it was most likely because Serral didn't take the tournament very seriously. I think he also may have went mutalisk against him in almost every game and that definitely made the series much harder than it needed to be. He tried mutalisk once against Inno and then switched back to hydra and won every macro game.

Anyway, provided Serral is ready for Maru's cheese I don't see Maru being able to do much against him.

Maru at worst is at the same level of Rogue though and at best, he is better. He is undefeated in every TvZ and TvT series of 2018. His losses in 2018 come his weak TvP as he can lose in macro TvP and is dependent on cheese and all ins in the MU.

I am not saying Maru is better than Serral. Currently Serral is better, but it's hard to deny that the closest one to skill to Serral atm is Maru. Maru's reliance on cheese and all ins make him slightly worse than Serral, but not by much.

You don't win every GSL season in 2018 by not being one of the top players of the world and the same goes for Serral for winning every WCS title. In 2019, Maru will still remain a top SC2 player and a potential rival to Serral's dominance.
11/29/2018 09:46 PMPosted by Shahzad

Yup, with proxies nerfed, Maru is SOL. Before the recent patch (aka the patch that forces him to play the mid/late game) he was losing to Leenock's late game. Everyone saw this coming except the Terran Tear Troupers.

Don't worry, though, as there's still Innovation to cheer for, and Taeja has come back, and even MMA has popped up on the radar again. No sign of Bomber, Polt, MVP or ForGG.
You can say Maru and Rogue are equals as they are teammates and know how to best one another, but you can't say Rogue is better than Maru.

I agree, I wouldn't argue that Rogue is better than Maru.

I am not saying Maru is better than Serral. Currently Serral is better, but it's hard to deny that the closest one to skill to Serral atm is Maru. Maru's reliance on cheese and all ins make him slightly worse than Serral, but not by much.

This I would disagree with however, I'd argue that Stats has a far better claim to being #2 right now than Maru does. Maybe they're tied for #2, but Stats is insane. Maru's GSL run was crazy, noone is denying that, but Stats had a far better showing at Blizzcon than Maru did.
I agree, I wouldn't argue that Rogue is better than Maru.

Fair enough.

This I would disagree with however, I'd argue that Stats has a far better claim to being #2 right now than Maru does. Maybe they're tied for #2, but Stats is insane. Maru's GSL run was crazy, noone is denying that, but Stats had a far better showing at Blizzcon than Maru did.

I agree that Stats is the best Protoss player in the world right now, but I do think Maru is better than him as evidenced by his three GSL wins and more consistent tournament performance. So basically for 2018, I'd say Serral > Maru > Stats.

However, in 2019 this could change and I'm looking forward to it. With Taeja making a comeback and Reynor proving himself to be one of the top foreigners, it should be a very interesting and entertaining year for SC2 esports.
He wouldn't even be able to steal victories from better players through proxy factories anymore. He would get rekt.
like in the serral vs innovation series, maru would get some wins with proxy raxes, but beside that, in normal macro games, he wouldnt stand ANY chance against serral. especially as more and more time with the new patch passes and serral can work on his micro against mines.
11/30/2018 12:40 PMPosted by TryHarD
like in the serral vs innovation series, maru would get some wins with proxy raxes, but beside that, in normal macro games, he wouldnt stand ANY chance against serral. especially as more and more time with the new patch passes and serral can work on his micro against mines.

Yes, Innovation played similar to Maru in that series by throwing in a lot of cheese and 2 base all ins. The major difference here is that Maru is a better player than Innovation in tournament results and in macro so that is the main reason I think he will perform better than him.

I still think Serral will win, but Maru will definitely put up a better fight macro wise than Innovation. Anyways, this is merely speculation on our parts so we would have to wait until 2019 if they meet in GSL vs. The World or Blizz Con to truly know how Maru will perform against Serral.