New and lost and feel intimidated

General Discussion
I've bought sc2 like a long time ago but never actually dug into it and actually played serious or i guess casually?

I don't know where to start in terms of just like anything or how to go about just starting out and playing against other players. I would say I'm pretty good at most games I play but I don't know how to approach with starcraft and don't know what youtube videos would help me the best.

One thing that I question is that I see people talk about playing all three races instead of just one and related things like that. It's kind of intimidating i think since I'm quite new to RTS in general too and most of my gaming experience and skill are Mobas.

I also hear all these bad things about some races too like how protoss is just a-click dead move race and it just turns me off even though the race and the units look pretty cool.

I just feel like I don't know where to start even though I've looked at the starcraft reddit forum, youtube videos and other things on this forum too.

Apologies if my post is pretty lack luster.
It's a game, not homework.
Just play vs A.I's and get a basic understanding. Then jump into unrank and play vs people.

When you start having problems against people, then come here or reddit and ask for help. It's pointless to seek out all of these informantion before you even had your first match, and don't know how those informantion benefits you.

Also, if you're gonna listen to people talk about how one race is better than the other, then you're playing the game how they enjoy it instead of playing the game how you enjoy it.

Just play easy A.I and increase hardness when it becomes too easy.
01/04/2019 04:08 AMPosted by min
I've bought sc2 like a long time ago but never actually dug into it and actually played serious or i guess casually?

I don't know where to start in terms of just like anything or how to go about just starting out and playing against other players. I would say I'm pretty good at most games I play but I don't know how to approach with starcraft and don't know what youtube videos would help me the best.

One thing that I question is that I see people talk about playing all three races instead of just one and related things like that. It's kind of intimidating i think since I'm quite new to RTS in general too and most of my gaming experience and skill are Mobas.

I also hear all these bad things about some races too like how protoss is just a-click dead move race and it just turns me off even though the race and the units look pretty cool.

I just feel like I don't know where to start even though I've looked at the starcraft reddit forum, youtube videos and other things on this forum too.

Apologies if my post is pretty lack luster.

Hi Min!

Firstly, let me say: Welcome to Starcraft II!

Ignore all the people naysaying and badmouthing the races. People have biases depending on whatever race they might play. The game is a difficult one, but don't let that discourage you!

Personally, I recommend WinterStarcraft and x5_PiG for tutorials as they're both GM players who talk a lot about the fundamentals and basics of starcraft in order to help players like you and I improve when we play this game.

IMO the best way to get into the game is actually to go through the campaign. It helps give you an idea of what each unit does, can give you a general idea of the basics in terms of macro (base building and general map awareness etc) and just generally having a good time.

If you don't have any of the campaigns, then you can play versus the AI and cut your teeth on there. The Elite AI is roughly equal to a high-gold level player for the most part, and you can work your way up to there.

You don't have to play all races, just play what you feel most comfortable with! However, playing all races, or even off-racing (playing something other than your main race) can give you some ideas on how to counter some of the things you're struggling with and can give you an insight into how to hold what your opponents throw at you.

Finally, Macro is the key - most of what you'll find is the player with better macro tends to win!
I’d really recommend that you go to YouTube and watch vibs bronze to GM series. He goes from bronze to GM with each race and shows you how to play the game based on each league you are in. Absolutely amazing SC2 educational videos. Those videos will explain the game and how it works better than anyone on this forum can. It is a really fun and rewarding game that only gets better the higher you climb on the ladder! Good luck and enjoy SC2!
01/04/2019 04:47 AMPosted by SunRise
It's a game, not homework.
Just play vs A.I's and get a basic understanding. Then jump into unrank and play vs people.

When you start having problems against people, then come here or reddit and ask for help. It's pointless to seek out all of these informantion before you even had your first match, and don't know how those informantion benefits you.

Also, if you're gonna listen to people talk about how one race is better than the other, then you're playing the game how they enjoy it instead of playing the game how you enjoy it.

Just play easy A.I and increase hardness when it becomes too easy.

I agree. Don't take the game so seriously and just play whatever you feel like playing.

Definitely don't take the whiners seriously because the vast majority of people on ladder aren't good enough for balance to matter in any significant way.
01/04/2019 04:08 AMPosted by min
People are going to whine that your race is a-move regardless of which race you actually play. Unless you play random in which case they will whine about that you are 'hiding your race' at the start. And you're not locked in to any one race, you can change races if you don't like the one you've picked.

I don't really recommend playing campaign to learn how to play online because the units are pretty different in campaign from their online versions. Another problem is that in campaign the scenario is almost always that you're fighting your way into a fortress of AI units, while the AI courteously attacks your base with only a few guys at a time-- like the bad guys in old Bruce Lee movies. Better to just jump right in to 1v1 or watch youtube tutorials.

For starting out best tutorial is probably wintersc2:
https://www.youtube.com/user/WinterStarcraft

He's really good at explaining simple things.
Starcraft can be a very intimidating game but dont let it get to you. You dont have to play all three races and you'll improve faster if you just play one race but I recommend you play random for a while until you decide on a favorite race that meshes well with your skills. Despite what people say, all the races are equally hard and they just require different skills. Also if you have a lot of experience with mobas you'll probably enjoy team games or megaton or co op.

If you post a link to your profile I'll add you later and if you want I can add you to my clan and give you some goals and things to practice that will help you improve your fundamentals. We play a lot of team games and use discord too. You can find your profile link by starting the game, clicking your portrait in the top right and selecting 'view profile', then next to your name there will be a little gear button, click it and select 'copy profile link' and paste that here so I can find you. If youre having trouble finding it I can post mine later.

Edit: or you can add me on discord and we can go from there. Ace#3334
It IS a very intimidating and difficult game, honestly that's why most people get bent out of shape and complain. Sometimes people forget that more than Terran and Zerg and Protoss players, we're all SC2 players. If you get past the opening stages, though, I don't think you're going to find a more challenging and rewarding game.

As for getting started, I really think you should play the campaigns first you can play on different difficulty levels and challenge yourself a little bit while you learn the mechanics.
it tooks me 7 years before going on the ladder. it was just not a part of the game that interested me. still today i normally play maximum 50 games of ladder per season. Starcraft has also a lot of custom game, 4 great campaign, challenges,etc.

Best thing you can do is to not look at this forum, stop looking at reddit and try this free game to make your own mind
Hi and welcome!

Lots of good advice here.

Here are my two cents:

1a.- Campaigns are fun and each of them has a very unique feel, according to each protagonist (Raynor, Kerrigan, Artanis, Nova). But campaigns and multiplayer are totally different. Not saying you shouldn't play them, just that you must not get the idea that beating them will prepare you to play against other people.

1b.- Coop. Pretty much the same that campaigns. Lots of fun, each commander is unique, but it's not the place to learn how to play against other players.

2a.- Hotkeys. Go to menu -> options -> hotkeys. Game is set to use the "Standard" hotkeys, but you have other options, like "Grid". I Started using it a couple of days ago and I think is so much better than the default one. So be sure to check them out and choose the one that you like the most.

2b.- Control groups and rapid fire. Very useful tools! Will leave you links that will explain them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2dNK-mIWkQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBlNRfFkPdk&feature=youtu.be

3.- Your race. I think random can be a little harder in the short term since you'll have to learn the three races at the same time. However at the long term you may become good with each of them, or at the very least it will help you choose your favorite race.

And of course the most important advice: This is just a game! HAVE FUN!
The more you look to the internet about SC2, the more hate you will find a plentiful stock of for all 3 races, but don’t let that turn you off; this is mostly just because the squicky wheel gets recommended by google search.

Don’t let grumps and grinches on the internet dictate your Starcraft. Just enjoy your game without worrying about what reddit has to say, because let’s be honest, the internet is fueled by contrivesity.
01/04/2019 05:25 AMPosted by BaconMonster
I’d really recommend that you go to YouTube and watch vibs bronze to GM series. He goes from bronze to GM with each race and shows you how to play the game based on each league you are in. Absolutely amazing SC2 educational videos. Those videos will explain the game and how it works better than anyone on this forum can. It is a really fun and rewarding game that only gets better the higher you climb on the ladder! Good luck and enjoy SC2!

Yeah, some other streamers are fine, but this series is probably the best for new players.
Just have fun, dude. People are recommending ways to get better, but I dont even think that's the problem here. If you're intimidated by a vide game then it ceases to be fun, and having fun is more important than winning or losing.

I go mass queens or mass oversee'r in competitive sometimes. Win, lose; I dont care. Besides, the game sets you up with a 50/50 win rate anyway.
If by chance you come back to this post, I'd start with checking out the hot keys for multi-player and change them as needed. For me, I moved anything past TGB to the left side except mothership and nexus and nuke.

I'd check out the campaign if you want to learn more on the lore of the game and story.

If you press the menu button (esc) or click its button in the bottom right, there's help, which shows you the tech trees for each race, as well as unit stats, counters. Also in the menu, there's a tutorial to get a feel for the game.

If you go to custom / melee, you can choose from many maps and face the AI at any level you choose or face it in versus, where it will modify its level as you win or lose. Add me if you want.
Welcome to Starcraft II!!!

Honestly, I found laddering to be very intimidating the first couple times I played, mostly because I had never played any game online before. Having people play so many different builds & cheeses was a very difficult start, so much that I didn't play ladder for almost 2 years after the 1st couple attempts. I played the campaign a few times to get familiar with the rythme of the game (although some of the units are VERY modified from the multiplayer), then I played against AI. Once I could beat the elite AI, I placed in gold 2 very easily. So really it takes some getting used to, but it can be extremely fun once you are used to it.
You begin by playng the 3 main campaigns.Finish them on Brutal difficulty if you wish.Once you are done with them,pick up a race and start playing vs the A.I.

SC2 is the extremely challenging and frustrating game so you must keep an open mind and be self critical.It is very important to understand and accept your mistakes so you can get better at the game.If you don't,you will become full with rage/frustration and that's not good.

So after you feel comfortable vs the Insane A.I. it is up to you if you want to play ranked or not.

I would advise you to stay away from the forums as much as possible.You won't get any help around here,remember that.Its full with trolls and whiny players from all 3 races.

Something else,don't get suck into watching too much streams.If you really want to get good at sc2 you need to build your own style.Best way to learn is by experiencing things first hand!
Ain't nobody got time for that. Brutal campaign and insane AI are incredibly difficult and is not required to really enjoy the game or ranked.

01/06/2019 09:05 PMPosted by Squall
You begin by playng the 3 main campaigns.Finish them on Brutal difficulty if you wish.Once you are done with them,pick up a race and start playing vs the A.I.

SC2 is the extremely challenging and frustrating game so you must keep an open mind and be self critical.It is very important to understand and accept your mistakes so you can get better at the game.If you don't,you will become full with rage/frustration and that's not good.

So after you feel comfortable vs the Insane A.I. it is up to you if you want to play ranked or not.

I would advise you to stay away from the forums as much as possible.You won't get any help around here,remember that.Its full with trolls and whiny players from all 3 races.

Something else,don't get suck into watching too much streams.If you really want to get good at sc2 you need to build your own style.Best way to learn is by experiencing things first hand!
Welcome! I recommend checking out Pig's videos, they're pretty good tutorials for all three races as he is a GM random. Start out with Random only to figure out which race you like the most, but you don't have to do it permanently, Random is only for a minority of players as most are better suited to play one race.

Then pick the race that you like to play the most, what other people think is an easy or hard race is irrelevant. In the end of the day, SC2 is a game and what matters most is if you're having fun. Many people like to blame balance for their losses, but the primary factor preventing them from moving up is their own play.
@Lykos
Insane A.I. is not that difficult.The guy is new to SC,he needs to experience the hardest A.I. you can't just throw him in the deep water and hope he learns to swim.
thanks for the advice guys! i appreciate it!