Reverting the Oracle Bug Fix

General Discussion
Yesterday we released a patch that fixed a long-standing bug involving beam weapons. Though we believe this bug should eventually be addressed, we agree with the feedback that the change was sudden, especially with the upcoming IEM and WCS qualifiers. As a result, we’re going to revert this change today and reintroduce it at a later date.
xD
Please leave the beam attack mechanic as it is, it was there since the inception of the game, and oracles, sentries and voids are balanced around it. The bug where you get more damage than intended is caused by the retargeting bug, not the beam mechanic itself.
ok
I think the retargeting trick (or bug) should be left in the game. It requires the player to completely focus on microing the unit, in addition to having very precise timing, and limited use cases for at best ~33% additional DPS for a short period of time. It adds some viability to void rays, and much needed microability.

Additionally, the biggest effect of it was in PvP. This makes an oracle first more viable, which could reduce (or at least add variety) phoenix vs. phoenix play.

Finally, a much better solution, (if this is still determined to be imbalanced) is simply to change the oracle attack period from the current value of 0.167s. Increasing the attack period can reduce the ability to kill probes under a battery, in addition to decreasing the potential additional DPS gain
01/11/2019 10:10 AMPosted by Balance Team
Yesterday we released a patch that fixed a long-standing bug involving beam weapons. Though we believe this bug should eventually be addressed, we agree with the feedback that the change was sudden, especially with the upcoming IEM and WCS qualifiers. As a result, we’re going to revert this change today and reintroduce it at a later date.

It's going to better to fix this bug during a balance update where you can tweak the beam itself so post update it's not so underwhelming.
The game has been balanced around this "bug." That means if you intend to fix the "bug," you're going to need to buff the units it affects directly in some way. Nobody is complaining about sentries damage, or void ray damage. The oracle itself is fine and a non-issue especially when you consider the oracle only lasts 2-3 seconds of actual combat in high level games before you need to micro it away. Seriously, we don't need to make the oracle any worse. If you really want to fix bugs, fix the colossus--it seems to be useless in PvP and PvZ.
Thanks for the quick turnaround. I'm disappointed it made it live, it seemed really careless, but thank you for listening to the community.

This change needs to be treated as a balance change and tested accordingly.
Suddenly, literally overnight it's a bug? Well if it's a bug, then you guys are disgustingly bad at your job because you didn't see and fix this bug for years and years and years.
Either grow a damn spine and stop calling it a bug, or you all should quit and look for a new job.
blizztoss nothing to say....nerf storm dude....cmon
01/11/2019 12:54 PMPosted by Xander
Suddenly, literally overnight it's a bug? Well if it's a bug, then you guys are disgustingly bad at your job because you didn't see and fix this bug for years and years and years.
Either grow a damn spine and stop calling it a bug, or you all should quit and look for a new job.

It's a bug that took the whole community of 100k+ players 8 years to find. Why give !@#$ to Blizz about it?

Software is full of bugs, that's inevitable.

Maybe take the damn time to understand what the issue at hand is in the first place before you start blaming others for "covering up their mistake by calling it a bug", since that's not the case here.
Yup,im pretty sure you have no idea what you are doing.How about you fix the !@#$%^- battlenet app so it doesn't disconnect every 5 minutes?
01/11/2019 11:15 AMPosted by Taldan
I think the retargeting trick (or bug) should be left in the game. It requires the player to completely focus on microing the unit, in addition to having very precise timing, and limited use cases for at best ~33% additional DPS for a short period of time. It adds some viability to void rays, and much needed microability.

Additionally, the biggest effect of it was in PvP. This makes an oracle first more viable, which could reduce (or at least add variety) phoenix vs. phoenix play.

Finally, a much better solution, (if this is still determined to be imbalanced) is simply to change the oracle attack period from the current value of 0.167s. Increasing the attack period can reduce the ability to kill probes under a battery, in addition to decreasing the potential additional DPS gain

Actually, the bug increases damage of unmicroed units and reduces damage of microed units.

It should be fixed.

Now the terrans are too strong and the terrans won GSL for 3 consecutive times and even the final match was t vs t! there are too many terrans in the ladder and too many t vs t! This game is getting more boring and the oracle should be buffed, not nerfed!

You have to be kidding right?
So a bug that gives an unintentional advantage is suddenly ok to stay in the game?
01/12/2019 01:09 AMPosted by KaydenKross

You have to be kidding right?
So a bug that gives an unintentional advantage is suddenly ok to stay in the game?

It doesn't give an advantage. The game was balanced around the power brought by this bug. Fixing it without compensatory buffs to the units affected so they can maintain their power just shafts protoss for no reason, and right before a tournament to boot.

It would be one thing if it were like the ultra capacitors bug in the Wings campaign a while back that made an already strong unit too powerful, but this bug wasn't doing that.
thanks for listening to the community feedback promptly (I think this was over a weekend as well?). hope you enjoy the remainder of the weekend.

when you address it later, I think it should not be just a simple "fix" - it seems oracle is sort of balanced around this "bug" (as many others already mentioned) so i hope you address it collectively with additional balance changes.
IMO Oracle has already been nerfed, and is balanced around his practical performance, which do include the effects of the bug ; and sorta balanced the range of the queens (which got increased to 8 in LotV). So I think that if the bug is to be addressed, then oracles should be buffed so that their practical performance in harass (and also vs mass lings) situations remains the same.

However, it seems the bug also affected sentries, void rays and interceptors. The change would be minor in the two first cases, and recent balances updates have gone towards slight nerfs towards carriers. So while I think consequences of such bugfix on oracles' should be compensated without delay, I don't think carriers and void rays are in the same case. More observation would be my take on those two last units. =)
01/12/2019 08:13 AMPosted by TriasElPony
IMO Oracle has already been nerfed, and is balanced around his practical performance, which do include the effects of the bug ; and sorta balanced the range of the queens (which got increased to 8 in LotV). So I think that if the bug is to be addressed, then oracles should be buffed so that their practical performance in harass (and also vs mass lings) situations remains the same.

However, it seems the bug also affected sentries, void rays and interceptors. The change would be minor in the two first cases, and recent balances updates have gone towards slight nerfs towards carriers. So while I think consequences of such bugfix on oracles' should be compensated without delay, I don't think carriers and void rays are in the same case. More observation would be my take on those two last units. =)

How did this bug affect carriers? Do interceptors have any kind of beam attack?
01/12/2019 10:26 AMPosted by Night
01/12/2019 08:13 AMPosted by TriasElPony

How did this bug affect carriers? Do interceptors have any kind of beam attack?

No, it did not affect carriers.