How are Void Rays doing?

General Discussion
I watch a lot of tournaments, and I do not play the game as a general disclaimer.

How are Void Rays doing? It seems like a really interesting unit but I almost never see them used in tournament play. Having a few seems like a really good counter to mass roach/ravager, but its almost never used. Are they too expensive? Too slow and unreliable? Just looking for some insight. Thank you in advance.
Void rays are an LOL unit.

It's offensive how hard blizzard has tried to make units like the cyclone work yet couldn't give any less fks about the void ray never being built.
well you make them if you scout proxy robo in pvp or if they do a roach rav all in in pvz aside from those scenarios they have no practical use.

As of if they are an interesting unit this is up for debate, they are slow, no microable
and have low dps if they are not hitting an armored unit. It seems like they have no place in the current iteration of the game.
I lost to a guy twice on ladder doing a proxy void ray/tempest + cannons with like 6 shield batteries outside my base. Obviously I suck, but void rays owned me and they do heavy damage when they use the super laser beam thingy.

Just thought it was funny cause when I used to play a lot in wings void rays were considered stupidly OP. People would complain that they one shot command centers lol. I hadn’t seen one since coming back and it pwned me just like they used to.

Maybe I was having flashbacks or something.
What might be done to improve them?

New ability ideas? Basic stat increases? etc.
03/23/2019 04:12 PMPosted by Leongrad

It's offensive how hard blizzard has tried to make units like the cyclone work yet couldn't give any less fks about the void ray never being built.

pointsthief still makes them.
It's not that they are bad, they just don't fit the meta
03/23/2019 03:43 PMPosted by Trenchfox
I watch a lot of tournaments, and I do not play the game as a general disclaimer.

How are Void Rays doing? It seems like a really interesting unit but I almost never see them used in tournament play. Having a few seems like a really good counter to mass roach/ravager, but its almost never used. Are they too expensive? Too slow and unreliable? Just looking for some insight. Thank you in advance.

Void ray + SB is very strong cheese
03/23/2019 04:12 PMPosted by Leongrad

They buffed their HP. Whinebot 2000
03/23/2019 05:20 PMPosted by BassHabit
pointsthief still makes them.
I've made them versus Zerg since I started playing SC 2. I honestly think that void rays are just as good as oracles if not better.

I couldn't even imagine not opening with void rays. It's easier to pick off drones with void rays than it is oracles. Seriously. Then, void rays can also deny hatcheries. If you're trying to macro, few things are worse than a guy grabbing a quick fourth.

Just as important, if not more important, due to how much value you can get from void rays... you gotta do what the meme says man: "respect the void rays." Thus, this can delay Zerg timing attacks by quite a bit and easily make the difference between you holding it or losing.

Honestly, the only downside of void rays in P vs Z is that they're more late game centric. While you can use them in all-ins, not ideal. If Zerg wasn't EXTREMELY favored in super late game scenarios, I have no idea why you wouldn't ever open with at least a couple void rays.

All of that said, I still have no real idea why they nerfed the speed of them. Like... I know it's cause of P vs P, but... with the removal of the mothership core... you can't go sky toss anymore, thus the speed nerf is just another pointless nerf. The only reason it wouldn't be reverted is blizzard logic: "well... no one uses them."

I have no clue how void rays function in P vs T. Sometimes I randomly make them as an experiment or something... Like an assorted candy bag or something. Let's throw in one of these nasty mr. goodbars and see what happens kinda thing.

I miss HotS P vs P. Everyone was really clueless in this matchup because no one respected void rays. People just thought more colossi = "lolz, guess I win." So, people would go super fast 2 robos and pump out colossi. In response, all you had to do was pump out colossi from 1 robo + keep adding in void rays and they wouldn't have the gas to make archons or get storm to deal with the void rays, thus they couldn't win.

Now? I dunno. Matchup is pretty dumb. I don't think there's ever really a reason to make more than like 3 now, but what do I know?
03/23/2019 05:24 PMPosted by LittleSmall
It's not that they are bad, they just don't fit the meta

They have far less health, speed, dps, and armour than an immortal, for a greater build time and resource cost. And their bonus against armour is only while the beam is up. I know immortals are really really good, but still...

Void rays bad unit.
03/23/2019 04:21 PMPosted by Killjoy
well you make them if you scout proxy robo in pvp or if they do a roach rav all in in pvz aside from those scenarios they have no practical use.
They can still work with Shield Battery all-ins sometimes. Cyclone pretty much counters that now though.

And also they're still decent against Corruptors.

But still, Immortals are still better anti-ground armor busters, and Archons and Storm are better against general air and are also more versatile.

If they reduced Void Ray shields (to keep SB all-ins from being OP), there might be room to buff it back into general usefulness, and I'd like to see them try that. Really, though, Protoss generally doesn't need them to be complete. Stargate is still great with its other units.
I want to see more Nerazine flavor in the unit, it's functionality is very Aiur in design, aka a beefy high DPS mass-able unit. I always found it odd that the Dark Templar don't have cloaks on their ships when even Terrans can manage that.

So I'm experimenting with making the VoidRay cloaked when not firing in my modding. I'd likely make it more fragile as well and might push the Prismatic Beam up into a Fleet Beacon upgrade. Perhaps a link between the beam and cloak, the more charged the beam is the longer it takes to cloak after firing etc. Basically try to introduce some tactically interesting decisions and micro in how it's employed, and I'd go back to the original 3 tiers of beam power it had in WoL but not have the simplistic charging mechanic which made them so problematic back then.
03/23/2019 05:19 PMPosted by Trenchfox

or just revert to WoL version(passive ability + attack while moving)
It's a slow unit, with average range, attack very fast. It almost remove any micro potential. When Prismatic alignment is used, they loose even more speed. With Prismatic alignment, they still don't have the DPS of an Immortal, while being 3 time as impacted by armor. They also don't benefit as much from upgrades (gain +1 dmg, which will be negated by a +1 armor, while even against light, Immortals gain +2).

They are really bad against Unarmored units, but Ironically, outside of PvP, it's light units that are the antiair, meaning Voidrays will always prioritize Marines over Marauders and Hydras over Roach. And you usually can't afford to micro your Voidray every time they have to attack a unit.

They have their use, but it's pretty rare. Ultralategame against Zerg to protect your Tempest against Corruptor is probably their main strength, but we haven't seen many lategame PvZ lately. Or to help against early all-in in all 3 match up.

There is one change I would like to see, even though I'm uncertain we would see them more often.

Voidrays can technically attack while moving. If I say technically it's because there are 3 units but it's not nearly as useful for Voidrays :
_BCs will attack anything in range, and have a smart targeting (they will remember their last target even if you change the move command)
_Phoenix also have a 360° attack while moving, but no smart targeting
_Voidrays will not automatically attack while moving, and that's the issue.

The only way Voidrays will attack while moving, is if an attack command is used (attack on a unit, or attack move). In which case, here is what will happen : they'll start attacking the unit, if the unit retreat, they will wait for it to move outside of its 6 range before they start following it (the beam of the Voidray can extend up to 8 range in that scenario).
But since the Voidray is the slowest of the non massive air units (excluding Overlords) and with a pretty slow acceleration, it will usually loose its target pretty soon despite its 8 leash range.

The voidray should attack with a simple move command, even if it's only when the unit is in front (something like a 60° angle). That way, you could micro it forward before they are at 6 range and gain some DPS on the unit they are chasing.

They could gain +1 damage against armored when prismatic alignment is used per air upgrade (they do 16 dmg with PA, units normally get +2 dmg in that scenario). Yes, I know, it's an ability. But when I see Hellbat with +1 against light even when they don't have blue flame, I think it's not that far fetched.

I also agree that they would really benefit from a Fleet beacon upgrade. It would make them more useful while not reinforcing their power as an early cheese.
Void rays are decent but are expensive and Toss already has the best anti-armor unit in the game in Immortals. Think they should move the void ray away from an anti armor role into a more general all round unit with lower cost.

Supply drop from 4 -3
Cost reduced from 250/150 to 200/100
Prismatic Alignment removed
Another thing, Void Rays melt BCs in seconds and are no longer one-shoted by Yamato.

Its not like BCs are viable vs Protoss anyway...
03/23/2019 05:06 PMPosted by willow
I lost to a guy twice on ladder doing a proxy void ray/tempest + cannons with like 6 shield batteries outside my base. Obviously I suck, but void rays owned me and they do heavy damage when they use the super laser beam thingy.

Just thought it was funny cause when I used to play a lot in wings void rays were considered stupidly OP. People would complain that they one shot command centers lol. I hadn’t seen one since coming back and it pwned me just like they used to.

Maybe I was having flashbacks or something.

If he was using skins I think I played him as well. The secret to me almost beating him was to send the attack to his base. I didn't have the anti air in time.

I'm not that great either but I do see people use void ray more than I see pheonix.
I started in Silver, in WoL. I always thought it was the weirdest thing: every single P vs P I played in Silver the other guy massed void rays. Yet, I don't even think I saw the strat one time outside of Silver league.

Call me a Silver leaguer, but void rays are way better than phoenixes in P vs Z. What are you going to do with phoenixes that you can't do with void rays? Kids have been watching too much nascar or something.
03/23/2019 05:19 PMPosted by Trenchfox

I experimented in my mod with voids, I have literally 2 versions you can choose from before the game starts (also 2 versions of Colossi and 2 Disruptor). The second one is that Prismatic Alignment does AoE instead of damage vs armor.

Yea, you can go ahead and vote me down into oblivion because you don't like that someone made an experiment that you don't like. You can also feed me ideas instead, I like any of those, I'll implement it as a 3rd Voidray version. It's not like enough people play it to see whether splash Voids are fun or not, but you know. I hate the current version of the game, but love SC in general, so I just spend my time in the editor...

03/24/2019 05:20 AMPosted by PointsThief
Call me a Silver leaguer, but void rays are way better than phoenixes in P vs Z. What are you going to do with phoenixes that you can't do with void rays? Kids have been watching too much nascar or something.

Phoenixes can kill workers better, are way more mobile and cheaper. They can also disable.