Co-Op Mutation #153: Firewall

Co-op Missions Discussion
Tychus - Nova is good combo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-OQn-kBG10&t=3s
Are the lava spouts limited and spread out near your vision or something? I did one with Turrets and especially the last area, there were much less lava than I expected to engulf a significant portion of the Turrets and SCVs.
Done as Nova with my Tychus buddy. We ignored the bonus though.

I mainly built Goliaths when I could, and some Banshees with all upgrades. Later on I added some Ghosts to EMP the Hybrids, plus tanks.. I had three Ravens in the end, pretty good with all those turrets and rockets.

Due to the Goliaths kind of big health pool, I didn't lose more than like two over the course of the whole mission. I once lost some Banshees though, and Nova when I didn't pay attention (thank the insta-revive).

I used Defensive Drone a lot throughout the whole mission. Griffin Strike kind of rarely in the early game and more regularly towards the end of the mission.
Like the age old times, I did a test in light of Swann Factory cheesing! :D

I floated Factories around the map and it does seem that it reduces the amount of lava spouts around your troops unless it's luck or my imagination even. It appeared that at the end I was easily able to blanket Turrets all around the dock and not too many were destroyed by lava spouts. This appears to be in contrast to like the beginning of the game where you'd have to dodge a whole bunch of lava spouts with your detectors and or mine fodder...leading to the guess that the lava spawns might indeed be "dice rolled" out across all vision proximity.

Perhaps this was not intended to be this way, but a matter of performance tweaking to make it not slow down machines?

This appears to be in contrast to like the beginning of the game where you'd have to dodge a whole bunch of lava spouts with your detectors and or mine fodder...leading to the guess that the lava spawns might indeed be "dice rolled" out across all vision proximity.

Perhaps this was not intended to be this way, but a matter of performance tweaking to make it not slow down machines?

The larva mutator is programmed to burst within 35 range of any of players' units. If all of players' units are in the same area, like the beginning of the game, all larva will burst close to them. However, if the player spread their units such as overlords, spider mines or observers across the whole map, the larva will burst across whole map as well, but much less intensive in a specific area.
04/12/2019 10:37 AMPosted by jedi

This appears to be in contrast to like the beginning of the game where you'd have to dodge a whole bunch of lava spouts with your detectors and or mine fodder...leading to the guess that the lava spawns might indeed be "dice rolled" out across all vision proximity.

The larva mutator is programmed to burst within 35 range of any of players' units. If all of players' units are in the same area, like the beginning of the game, all larva will burst close to them. However, if the player spread their units such as overlords, spider mines or observers across the whole map, the larva will burst across whole map as well, but much less intensive in a specific area.

Is a building also a unit? Does it matter if it's a tower? It looked like it burst near Flying Factories as well...unless...it's because a worker UNIT was nearby. Often when Turretting, I have SCV's in random places and rallied to random parts of the map as well so perhaps that actually does it rather than the buildings themselves?

Also, I experienced this effect with Tycus and Nova (concentrated armies), along with my "Mass Science Vessels" near them.

Hmm...I wonder if you can park Hercules Transports at non ground parts of the map and have spread out the lava across the far edges of the maps as well. lol
I think a building does not count as unit for this mutator but worker would count. Some other mutators may treat regular units and buildings alike and would target them both, and some mutator may only target regular non-worker unit that has a weapon and cost more than 0 supply. Actually it seems the larva does not even burst directly underneath a building.

For your second question, yes of course. Since larva only burst on ground, they could not harm any air units floating on dead space. If you can spread a lot of air units outside the ground terrain, they would attract a lot of larva as well. Herecules qualify for such purpose, but there's a problem that they cost 3 supply each, but they would do the job at least.
Yeah, I remember a cheese where they used Karax and Swann to place a Mirage and Wraith in some trees or something. This would actually negate a drop mutator since the computer doesn't know where to put them. And then they would Tower the map or something.

Hercules can blind jump right? So one advantage is that you would be able to place it quickly to otherwise hard to reach places.
I checked out a replay. It looks as though the Lava also spawns near Towers at least. I couldn't tell the range on the map that well to determine if it spawns near a Factory though, as often there were Towers "possibly" within 35 range.