Co-Op Mutation #154: Death and Taxes

Co-op Missions Discussion
Stukov + Karax was the way to go, nice and easy :)
lol I just did one with an Alarak partner (as Swann) that lasted 1:11 (Day 10). :P
Ended it with a Concentrated Beam just after his army died.
He was so happy! haha
Stukov was my go-to. Makes for really long games if the partner is also defensive, but works.
This mutation was also an unpleasant reminder that when random queuing a significant portion of players choosing Karax can't be bothered to build energizers, or don't even know what they do.

Not to mention for the last few weeks I've had more low level commanders than ever. I really think that people shouldn't be allowed to queue mutation on Brutal if they haven't levelled up to 15 with the commander.
After failed attempts with Karax and Swann, I switched to ZeraLUL and we won - without the bonus though. Spammed Cannons and used Projections, naturally with the artifact passive that helps them.

My buddy played Tychus, as usual. Aside from Nikara, I spotted Blaze, but I honestly don't remember the rest.

Decided to use a Void Templar to gather the resource pickups where we already cleared out the buildings. Commanding one of them only costs -2, -2.
As for daytime, I tried using a Probe or Shield Guard.
Used the Void Rays for either supporting my ally, dealing with Nydus Worms or just for an attack myself.
There are several different ways to beat this:

Island Base Cheese
This one by far is the stupidest and most technical approach at the same time, but at the same time might be the most fun to do. The concept is that the northeast corner of your base is buildable, but is not pathable to the enemy. If you are able to roll a ground composition with no Spotters, you can hold out the high ground indefinitely while keeping a force out on the map to snipe buildings. Once each night time, a drop force approaches, which Lt. Morales announces. You need to snipe the transports BEFORE they arrive at your island so they do not provide vision. Kerrigan's Omega Worm counts as a building for both you and your ally, so it works well here. A protoss ally can fit a pylon alongside another building.
Whatever this is: https://youtu.be/I9rN6W13-eA

I think it's worth noting that if you don't get Hunterlings and Spotters, it's okay for the transports to get vision of the plateau – it's not like the units they've got can even get onto the plateau in the first place. In the video, you'll notice there were several times where the enemy clearly got vision of the plateau, and it just shows that nothing bad happens in that case. Amon's Forces already know where your base is even if they didn't get vision of it (basically maphacking), so there's not much point in trying your hardest to prevent vision. Especially given that if you set foot on the low ground in an attempt to kill the transports early, there's a high likelihood that a random Choker strolling by will completely ruin you.

You're probably better off doing it traditionally with some different commanders, this method takes far too long.
04/15/2019 04:07 AMPosted by LilArrin
04/15/2019 02:47 AMPosted by rasmasyean
Anyone try Abathur defense? I once did a mutation with him where I had burried Roaches, Swarm Hosts, and crawlers holding the doors. I would cycle through the entrances and cloud them with Vipers parked nearby each. I would nibble on the Roaches for energy and stuff. And since he can outheal the plague in this, it might be pretty good. Once you set up this "Defense" the only transaction would be the casting of the clouds mostly.

Abathur can set up a sustainable defense with 4 full-biomass swarm hosts behind spine crawlers. The rest of the resources go into Guardians/Mutas for sniping the big bad guys that begin attacking 3rd night and on. I've soloed the mutation with Abby, and it's a long, painful process.

Nice!

Ah...I remember now. It was "The Quick and the Dead" (Black Death, Speed Freaks). That's when I used the Viper to hold off the bunches of dudes that bunch up at the entrances. I think I had an Alarak partner. Did you happen to solo that one too?
All Commanders is Live!! https://youtu.be/h4DKpNCQ1v0
I was lucky to get a very good Han and Horner ally so I one shot this one this week.

Han and Horner are easily the best commander for this week. Being able to take out structures at night and efficiently because it just takes one click to do it.

I played Swann and had a hard time with Spotters being in the first wave, but I was able to manage.
Supposedly it should be easy with Zeratul but I just keep getting Stanks that plow through my cannons.
04/16/2019 02:34 AMPosted by RMJ

Did it with Karax (me) and Stukov (my friend) too.

We were also lucky that the enemy was Sky Protoss with a mainly Phoenix composition. Phoenixes couldn't do anything against Karax's static defenses.

The hardest part of this week is continually micro-ing your workers to pick up all those precious mineral/vespene spawns.
04/16/2019 02:34 AMPosted by RMJ

Yeah, with shield battery barriers on bunkers and repair beam?

REGEN... OVERWHELMING!!!
I wonder if you can perma hold a Stank with Stukov Bunkers and Swann SCV's. Anyone have any experience with this?
04/19/2019 05:41 AMPosted by rasmasyean
I wonder if you can perma hold a Stank with Stukov Bunkers and Swann SCV's. Anyone have any experience with this?

Might not even need that, if you can infest a bunker that would hold the stanks back while your bunkers chop at them.
04/19/2019 06:25 AMPosted by Maltiki

Might not even need that, if you can infest a bunker that would hold the stanks back while your bunkers chop at them.

Yeah, but that's a use of a calldown.
Stukov does seem like a solid choice for this, and I got it in my second try with a random Kerrigan, but I wasn't able to solo this one for my newb friend and we ended up falling back on the building float cheese. Does anyone have a solo Stukov vod? I have trouble keeping up with the pickups and Stukov's building clear is rather slow early.

One thought: do his burrowed banshees outheal the plague?
04/19/2019 09:59 PMPosted by Peaches
Stukov does seem like a solid choice for this, and I got it in my second try with a random Kerrigan, but I wasn't able to solo this one for my newb friend and we ended up falling back on the building float cheese. Does anyone have a solo Stukov vod? I have trouble keeping up with the pickups and Stukov's building clear is rather slow early.

One thought: do his burrowed banshees outheal the plague?

Maybe you can try patrolling Overlords here and there and use Diamondback or something to do pickups. Then pull them in from non cleared areas of course. I used Wraiths and Hellions and that worked out pretty well. Even for like 10 night games or whatever. And Overlords would have a lot of vision and are cheap. What does it cost without supply? 1/1 I guess?
Cleared this with Stukov and Nova.

Not particular hard once you realized that one of you guys should keep focusing on getting resources and other one will focus on defending and attacking.

I used Nova to pick those resources all over the maps for Stukov ally (so he can keep massing bunkers and push at day time) because she can actually live thru the plague effect and hard to get killed.

Once the nuke cooldown is off, I will nuke the base with bigger armies and infested structures. But overall, my task is simply picking resources even at the night time.
You can hold a Stank with Brood Queen's Fungal Growth.
When will it be fixed for the air to collect resources that can come from Kerrigan and Mira?