Are graphics better now than before?

General Discussion
I've been looking to get back into sc2. When I played a couple ladder games, my fps is ridiculously bad compared to when I played before. I played a lot of WoL, very little HotS, played some LotV and I remember fps wasn't really an issue unless there was a huge 200/200 teamfight. The game now feels extremely choppy and commands take a while to register because of how bad my fps actually is (i have around 60 ping).

Has this game become more demanding graphics-wise? I'm using the same computer I played with back in WoL, (this computer's around 10 years old now) and I had no issue with it. This computer can run basically any game on lowest graphics, but not starcraft.

As a reference, I also play a lot of League of Legends on lowest graphics and it runs perfectly fine.

I can't get back into this game with such terrible performance, so I'm just curious if the demands for graphics has increased or if I'm missing something.
On low/mid 60fps should be possible on a toaster..
Need more info about your Pc... CPU, GPU, RAM....
05/17/2019 01:03 AMPosted by BillS
On low/mid 60fps should be possible on a toaster..
Need more info about your Pc... CPU, GPU, RAM....

on low yes, but the jump from low to medium is quite significant

I'm using an old GPU here that runs 60 fps on low, but 10~15 on medium
While the graphics have (from what I remember) not improved, the system requirements have increased significantly with each expansion.
Wait.
They still sell computer that CAN'T run SC2 ? Impressive.

Honestly, you can't complain about the game here. Just upgrade and get a decent GPU.
05/17/2019 07:39 AMPosted by srav
Wait.

Honestly, you can't complain about the game here. Just upgrade and get a decent GPU.

Later, not my priority at the moment
yes the graphic become better and thats why your fps drops, if you are still using pc from 2010, then you will notice bad performance even if it was good pc back in that time, horewer today you can play 1vs1 at low sittings even on intel hd graphics (cpu graphic), but team games need something more powerfull like 4 core i5 will already give you good fps in team games.
05/17/2019 07:11 AMPosted by Gorthauer
While the graphics have (from what I remember) not improved, the system requirements have increased significantly with each expansion.

Actually they did a bit. It's not really noteable but the graphics have improved. The quality is better. The map terrain improvement is most visible (however I still prefer the old one).

05/17/2019 12:26 AMPosted by JohnScottMVP
I've been looking to get back into sc2. When I played a couple ladder games, my fps is ridiculously bad compared to when I played before.

I also could play WoL at 4v4 on max settings meanwhile now I can play only up to 2v2 at medium settings.

*In match history I have some games played on 4v4 just because I have few computers and they was played on the modern one.
05/17/2019 07:11 AMPosted by Gorthauer

This is the answer I was looking for. Thanks.

05/17/2019 07:39 AMPosted by srav
Wait.

Doubt it. But I did mention this computer is 10 years old.

I would but I'm in school and am very broke. Currently running on 41 dollars in my bank account lmao

Thanks guys guess I have to wait till I can afford a better computer.
Also these are my current specs:

intel core i-5 2320 CPU @ 3.00 GHz
8 gb ram
64 bit OS

No graphics card or anything. (pretty sure)
05/17/2019 07:34 PMPosted by JohnScottMVP
intel core i-5 2320 CPU @ 3.00 GHz
8 gb ram
64 bit OS

I have EXACTLY the same settings. However I have graphic card: GTX550ti 1GB.

You should be able to play 1v1 and 2v2 on low/mid settings.

On Ebay are GTX 760/780ti for 25$ or less, you need nothing special...
A "old" cheap GPU is better than no GPU..
05/17/2019 11:03 PMPosted by BillS

On Ebay are GTX 760/780ti for 25$ or less, you need nothing special...
A "old" cheap GPU is better than no GPU..

Is it possible to add a graphics card onto a computer with an integrated graphics card? I'm not too good with computers so I'm gonna have to do research to see if my computer is compatible, but if it's only 25-40 dollars i would definitely be willing to invest in that if it means my games run smooth.

I really don't have any standards when it comes to graphics in games since I've always played every game i play on lowest graphics. Would i be able to play on medium with at least 60 fps on a 25 dollar graphics card?
Generally speaking almost all PCs have some kind of pcie slot for graphics floating about - there are also external graphics cards - which whilst more of an investment - can be swapped from system to system and function as a good way to provide more oomph for a laptop/budget build when needed.

You don't really need much of a gpu for sc2 - just something to take the strain off the sys ram and cpu.
05/19/2019 11:13 AMPosted by JohnScottMVP
Would i be able to play on medium with at least 60 fps on a 25 dollar graphics card?

Sure, a GTX 780/ti, GTX 960 (Nvidia) or a R9 270/280 (AMD) are under 50$ on Ebay and not that bad 2019 for older Games :)
iirc over time some minor effects was improved, recently i've seen the eggs growing on hatcheries and stuff emits a little glow which wasn't there before, in vanilla WoL resources didn't emit that little glow in when collected by workers and stuff, sure little bits but will add up over time
Thanks a lot for the help guys. Since I finished my semester and have some free time, I'll be researching how to add on a graphics card to my computer. It'll make my gaming experiences a lot more fun, and I'll be able to get back into sc2.
[li][/li]
05/17/2019 12:26 AMPosted by JohnScottMVP
I've been looking to get back into sc2. When I played a couple ladder games, my fps is ridiculously bad compared to when I played before. I played a lot of WoL, very little HotS, played some LotV and I remember fps wasn't really an issue unless there was a huge 200/200 teamfight. The game now feels extremely choppy and commands take a while to register because of how bad my fps actually is (i have around 60 ping).

Has this game become more demanding graphics-wise? I'm using the same computer I played with back in WoL, (this computer's around 10 years old now) and I had no issue with it. This computer can run basically any game on lowest graphics, but not starcraft.

As a reference, I also play a lot of League of Legends on lowest graphics and it runs perfectly fine.

I can't get back into this game with such terrible performance, so I'm just curious if the demands for graphics has increased or if I'm missing something.

Seems like you may need to update your graphics driver. If you have an nvidia card, download the GeForce experience, have it set settings for you and update to the newest driver. If you’re still having problems, then yea, it’s probably the hardware itself. when updates happen on game and you don’t keep up with drivers, you’ll often experience performance issues, especially on nvidia cards. I can’t speak for ATI

Edit I see you don’t have a card but update the intel card you have if it’s not and try again: that being said, they have added physicis and stuff over time it seems, which will strain your GPu or CPU. Since you don’t really have graphics, you’re bogging the CPU even more. I would bet you’re at 100% on the CPU and need graphics card. Your RAM is probably maxed too because the onboard graphics is going to use RAM in place.
I played WoL back when this game launched, and I just the other week bought Legacy of the Void... and yes... the graphics are better! By quite a lot! However, my FPS have actually sky rocketed in the intervening 9 years (NINE YEARS?! Holy crap!) despite sadly still using the same PC... (don't laugh).