Is SC2 coop saved?

Co-op Missions Discussion
05/22/2019 09:18 AMPosted by SerasVII
What's the need for SC3 when you can add new stuff (campaigns, maps, units, etc)to SC2?
If nothing else, optimize the code to enable 3p Coop mode [shrug]
Not for me. I wanted ascension redesign, and many more maps , not mutations ... but oh well....
nope and the fact it was so quiet for so long , something is fishy. My guess is , they saw a large number of players dropping the game , quickly a new commander out of nowhere and as others mentioned the huge NERF on Stukov , kinda killed the commander for many stukov fans. I wont grab this commander nor anything in the future , Actizzard is not my type of company.
I'm just waiting for Valerian and Selendis.
05/22/2019 09:55 AMPosted by ackmondual
What's the need for SC3 when you can add new stuff (campaigns, maps, units, etc)to SC2?
If nothing else, optimize the code to enable 3p Coop mode [shrug]
Is there no 3p co-op due to lag? Or what do you mean?

I'm actually curious if they're playing the long game(i.e. making a future sc3 better by spending more time improving content in sc2). Let me explain...

I started playing dota-like games a bit after dota allstars came out. It was just a regular custom map, with zero tournaments, no matchmaking, and relatively few heros. Over time, unique heros were added to the game, and existing ones were refined/overhauled.

Over the course of many years, dota allstars iteratively achieved a complexity level that would be almost impossible for a 'new' game to start with. When Dota2 eventually came out, it was able to hit the ground running, since much of the hard work was already done and tested over the course of many years.

It seems to me that sc2 coop is in a great position to do something similar, and be an 'incubator' of sorts for coop commanders. Over time, a wide variety of unique and fun commanders/maps will build up, and be quite valuable for any future remake(i.e. sc3 or standalone).

TL;DR
Even if coop is not making much money, it makes a LOT of sense for blizzard to keep developing content for it.
I would actually rather have more new maps at this point than commanders. Same old maps are getting pretty bland, stale and boring. A new commander does not map old maps fun. New maps however are fun on old commanders.

At least thats how i feel.
05/22/2019 06:28 PMPosted by SerasVII
<span class="truncated">...</span>If nothing else, optimize the code to enable 3p Coop mode [shrug]
Is there no 3p co-op due to lag? Or what do you mean?
Folks on these forums are saying b/c of the way the Sc2 engine was built, it really can't handle 3p Coop (e.g. doesn't utilize multi-threaded hardware), so there's not much that can be done even if your specs are great.

05/23/2019 07:41 AMPosted by RMJ
I would actually rather have more new maps at this point than commanders. Same old maps are getting pretty bland, stale and boring. A new commander does not map old maps fun. New maps however are fun on old commanders.

At least thats how i feel.
If they're really worried about "diminished returns", I'm sure they could charge $5 per map at this point. They'll have to work out in what circumstances you can get in without paying for it (e.g. via your partner owning the map and picking it, or if they choose random).

IIRC, maps are harder to do as well