What exactly causes stettmans lag

Co-op Missions Discussion
Obviously investors roach ravager spam makes the game lag like crazy just because of the NR of units on the map,, similar to stukov inf lag. But I’ve noticed stettman also makes the game lag just by going Ling’s or other units.
Couple of things contributing in my opinion. The field itself which gives lag by taxing the game visually.
Constant audio ques beepbop whenever a satellite is deployed by your ally (remove!), and the minimap pinging like crazy everywhere when satellites are attacked.
Especially annoying when satellites are on the map and enemy expands into m (trains for example)

Remove the field visuals for allies and make the satellites invulnerable or at least cloacked. Remove the sound ques and reduce the NR of roaches spawned or change investor ability. The lag sucks all the fun out of stettman.
The field itself is likely pretty light on the framerate, given it's just a layer applied on top of the the terrain. Would be the same as if you go into the map editor and scale a unit to the size of the screen, it won't affect the frame rate at all.

Rather firstly it's because the game was designed for competitive play. As such, the game was designed for precision rather than efficiency. So it'll look at each effect on each unit individually, along with each unit's pathing and whether they should use abilities or attack, etc. It does this very actively.

Secondly, add in the fact that the game engine is old, just about 9 years in fact, so the game wasn't designed for modern multicore processors. Modern processors are actually not all that much faster at one task, but are far better at multitasking than they used to be. Newer games take this in mind, and split the work of the game into multiple parts, SC2 does not.

As such, the main bottleneck for SC2 has nothing to do with visuals, and very well could actually run better on an older computer that's designed to brute force a single task.
It sounds like it's the CPU bottleneck of slower computers (perhaps with less "cores"...or that they use it not as well as the new multi-cores). What happens is the field effects all the stuff (including allys') by adding "hard values" periodically to them. That's how the bonus is applied. It's not like changing a "rate" which units already have. If this is the case, it's similar to "Diffusion mutator lag" where it slows down when you engage a large wave having all the damage redistributed across all nearby units.

To correct something like this, they would need to increase the period of each tick...at the expense of smoothness of the bonus regen.

You might be able to help this in the "Power Options". Somewhere in there you can force 100% CPU minimum. dunno how much it will do though.

Side Note: Perhaps this might have something to do with the Stukov Bunker nerf. If they foresaw such effect on a statistically significant portion of PC's (particularly laptops), they may have included this in deciding to nerf the Bunkers so that less players would go Mass Infantry...which would be less units now as well (with Stetmann partners).
What happens is the field effects all the stuff (including allys') by adding "hard values" periodically to them.

You might be able to help this in the "Power Options". Somewhere in there you can force 100% CPU minimum. dunno how much it will do though.

I was thinking the exact same thing about the fields being one of the causes, it makes sense in what you're saying. It's almost kind of obvious actually. There has to be a lot of thicks going on with that, it's not just the infestors, albeit it's true they make it even worse.

Having CPU unparked and forced to 100% certainly helps with some games, I have bitsum high performance core unlocker running that gives even a better result than the high performance in windows, but I still get really bad Stetlag. I haven't tried reducing physics and details to the lowest though, but it looks like I'll have to and see if it gets better (running on medium-high ussually, reflections off).
According to another thread... "Stetleg". It's a byproduct of all the Enongy and Stetalites. :p
05/27/2019 01:38 PMPosted by RickRumble
Secondly, add in the fact that the game engine is old, just about 9 years in fact, so the game wasn't designed for modern multicore processors. Modern processors are actually not all that much faster at one task, but are far better at multitasking than they used to be. Newer games take this in mind, and split the work of the game into multiple parts, SC2 does not.

As such, the main bottleneck for SC2 has nothing to do with visuals, and very well could actually run better on an older computer that's designed to brute force a single task.
One of the surprising things was processors were going multi-threaded. Not faster. You could go faster clockspeeds, but then you'd run into overheating issues, so it made sense that performance boost would take that direction.

According to another thread... "Stetleg". It's a byproduct of all the Enongy, Stetalites, and their Stetzones. :p
The satellite fields are the things causing the lag.
Mass units from infestors is also a factor, just like with Stukov.

It seems to use similar code to how creep operates, but creep doesnt really cause lag unless you play on ultra settings, meanwhile satellite fields cause lag even at low settings, which is really strange.

The commander feels rushed and rough around the edges, hopefully they will listen to feedback and fix most of the problems.
Yeah, just to clarify a bit, I was referring to the coloured graphic from the stetzone.

The actual effect is definitely part of the stetlag™. If they reduced down the amount of checks (say have it apply a 2 second buff every 2 seconds, rather than the current style) it might help. Hard to say, could even make it worse.
I'm not so sure that the reason for Stetlag™ is the buff effect itself.

This is the regular Stetzone on lowest details. You can see a distinct texture pattern for the Stetzone.
https://i.imgur.com/1HKHSfM.png

This is the dark area of the map. Look closely at the dark area.
https://i.imgur.com/AlSPb5Z.png

If you don't see it clearly on the above picture, this is the same area after enhancing the image.
https://i.imgur.com/527OxAt.png

As you can see, the entire map is covered with the Stetzone texture when Stetmann is in the game, and Stetellites probably just enhance its visibility. The lag could indicate it's not very optimal.
I also noticed that on darker maps (like Lock and Load), the entire map changes its color each time a Stetzone mode changes, and there is a momentary frame drop each time when that happens.

Neither of this is visible on higher settings, though, you need to set shader details to lowest possible to actually see the texture and the color change.

Also, not all games with Stetmann allies were laggy from the start. So far, none of my Chain of Ascension games lagged at start, the lag increased as Stetzones grew and unit count increased. This might indicate there's something else at fault (like something with maps themselves).
05/29/2019 07:00 AMPosted by iStorm
I'm not so sure that the reason for Stetlag™ is the buff effect itself.

This is the regular Stetzone on lowest details. You can see a distinct texture pattern for the Stetzone.
https://i.imgur.com/1HKHSfM.png

This is the dark area of the map. Look closely at the dark area.
https://i.imgur.com/AlSPb5Z.png

If you don't see it clearly on the above picture, this is the same area after enhancing the image.
https://i.imgur.com/527OxAt.png

As you can see, the entire map is covered with the Stetzone texture when Stetmann is in the game, and Stetellites probably just enhance its visibility. The lag could indicate it's not very optimal.
I also noticed that on darker maps (like Lock and Load), the entire map changes its color each time a Stetzone mode changes, and there is a momentary frame drop each time when that happens.

Neither of this is visible on higher settings, though, you need to set shader details to lowest possible to actually see the texture and the color change.

Also, not all games with Stetmann allies were laggy from the start. So far, none of my Chain of Ascension games lagged at start, the lag increased as Stetzones grew and unit count increased. This might indicate there's something else at fault (like something with maps themselves).

Hmmm....that's really interesting. Maybe there are actually 2 copies of each unit when Stetmann is in the game. One exists on the "Normal Plane". And one exists on the "Stetzone Plane". And depending on which side of the boundary it is currently in, it will let you use either one...the one with or the one without bonuses.

Why? Perhaps this was a faster way to implement the commander without revamping the whole creep system?