[Suggestion] Stetellite Cloaking Upgrade

Co-op Missions Discussion
Quite a few people have suggested this in their reviews on Stetmann, and I'm inclined to agree... not just because the sounds of the Stetellites getting shut down is annoying, but it makes things a little unfair if you're facing anything that can shoot upwards very early on, plus with Stetmann largely being a support commander, being able to overcharge Stetellites and otherwise support his ally is his main schtick.

Following on from what people have suggested, and given how Stetmann tends to be the expert when it comes to repurposing Protoss technology in Wings of Liberty, I would like to suggest the following upgrade at the Hatchery:

• Name: Repurposed Cloaking Module
  • Cost: 100m 100g
  • Time: 21 seconds
  • Prerequisites: Requires Lair

The idea is that Stetmann has salvaged the cloaking module used by Protoss Observers and the upgrade allows them to be retrofitted onto his Stetellites.

One drawback though is that if the Stetellites are cloaked, it will encourage the enemy to send out Observers, Overseers and Ravens to spot them (they do that with all cloaked units) - nevertheless, it is an investment on the enemy's part. How's it sound?
Welcome to another commander triggering Ravens dropping turrets all over your base in DoN....
It's more likely they'll be doing that outside of your base first, assuming you've spead some Stetellites beyond the centre of the map. It's usually enough to shoo away the Raven with Gary or a Corruptor.

Worst comes to the worst, you can choose not to upgrade it.
Cloak is a bad idea, as detectors are immediately deployed when the AI detects cloaked units.

Heck, it keeps sending overseers to the satellites even now, no cloak needed.

And as others have said, it would be hell with ravens.
Would be a little neat if overloading on satellite on purple gave some units cloaking, but either way Stetmenn is already crazy op and doesn’t really need anymore buffs, maybe some QoL improvements, but that’s about it.
Just make them invincible and done ... the small shutdown is useless either way ..
Actually, when i was leveling-up stetmann, i thought so too.
Why isn't his stetellite cloaked.

But after i get the hang of stetmann, it doesn't really matter much.
The stetellites auto-respawn in just a few seconds, which is far more better than having cloaked.
The units can survive just fine not under the field for a few seconds.
Or just place another one on safer position, or just use garry field.
I think it adds an intended tiny flaw to the commander, which can be answered.
Just make them more durable, 5HP = 1 shot from unupgraded marines.
I like them being able to be spotted and shut down, because they could delay opponent attacks and even waste some of their scourges iirc
I think a better solution would be they don't reactivate if there are enemy units and no friendly units in range. (a range wider than their coverage...say 15-20)
I'm on board with this, or changing their HP from 5 to 50.

It's a flip-flop as to what should be done design-wise...
05/25/2019 12:58 PMPosted by SkyHiRider
Cloak is a bad idea, as detectors are immediately deployed when the AI detects cloaked units.

Heck, it keeps sending overseers to the satellites even now, no cloak needed.

And as others have said, it would be hell with ravens.

Here’s the thing, the AI “detects” cloaked units by taking damage to them.

Stetallites don’t deal damage.

Thus, I don’t think the stetallites will trigger anything.
05/26/2019 07:54 AMPosted by WireBender
the AI “detects” cloaked units by taking damage to them.

If the AI detects damage then why does it send overseers to Abathurs creep tumors before they have a chance to deal any damage?
Personally I think the satellites should have the same basically invincible setup as Abathur's nests. Maybe not right away, maybe make it so it has a third stage on its setup.

So it deploys, has the current cooldown where it blows up instead of deactivating.

Then have it have another, much longer, cooldown before it becomes untargetable by Amon. That way it's still vulnerable during combat, but we don't get the dumb ai and minimap nonsense we have right now.
05/26/2019 11:09 AMPosted by RickRumble
Personally I think the satellites should have the same basically invincible setup as Abathur's nests. Maybe not right away, maybe make it so it has a third stage on its setup.

So it deploys, has the current cooldown where it blows up instead of deactivating.

Then have it have another, much longer, cooldown before it becomes untargetable by Amon. That way it's still vulnerable during combat, but we don't get the dumb ai and minimap nonsense we have right now.

I think each time it is deactivated it takes ~3-5 seconds longer to come back online. So eventually they get deactivated long enough for the enemy to reach your defenses/real base.
a cloaking device is a good idea. they should also get an upgrade to make them less easy to disable.
05/26/2019 10:46 AMPosted by SkyHiRider
05/26/2019 07:54 AMPosted by WireBender
the AI “detects” cloaked units by taking damage to them.

If the AI detects damage then why does it send overseers to Abathurs creep tumors before they have a chance to deal any damage?

That might be because the toxic nests are considered a threat because they are capable of doing damage. I'm not certain though - we'll have to ask Blizzard about that one.

This is proving to be an interesting debate though.