Please Redesign Mecha Infestors

Co-op Missions Discussion
I enjoy Stetmann very much as a commander. Just wanted to bring attention to the development team to put this on their list. I know it’s not a new topic but hopefully this will help drive it across more.

Please redesign Mecha Infestors, the lag issue itself is one thing but the imbalance in general is just unhealthy for coop as a whole. Personally, I’d prefer them to be redesigned in terms of abilities. This will at least help with some lag management (as that is a separate problem all on its own).
What would you suggest?

If we're looking at a straight ability nerf/rework, then I'd cut the amount of Roaches spawned by Roaches Away! in half, but keep the Ravager.
Change the healing ability from Neural Parasite to a Fungal Growth-type of projectile. As it is right now, they are SUPER vulnerable during it.
Deconstructive Roaches I have never used, so I can't comment on it. Seems like a waste of an ability to me.
Spawn roaches+ravager ability should be removed outright IMHO (maybe make Infestors release roaches when killed instead) and replaced with something else (maybe some direct attack spell or mode). You just can't really balance summon spells when you have so high mana regen available. Maybe also make Infestors release roaches when killed. Deconstructive spell is good and will be quite useful when not overshadowed by spawn.
I like the infestors. They are crazy, but fun as well when you split them into lanes and keep flooding them with units.

Especially fun on Temple of the past.
Yeah, remove and replace is what I’d like to see. The chain lightning from the Simulant Zerg concept awhile ago would be a cool addition to put them more into action.

I know the spam strategy is cool at the moment but honestly it’s very uncreative.
05/26/2019 07:18 AMPosted by FearrWhalins
I enjoy Stetmann very much as a commander. Just wanted to bring attention to the development team to put this on their list. I know it’s not a new topic but hopefully this will help drive it across more.

Please redesign Mecha Infestors, the lag issue itself is one thing but the imbalance in general is just unhealthy for coop as a whole. Personally, I’d prefer them to be redesigned in terms of abilities. This will at least help with some lag management (as that is a separate problem all on its own).

You have things like zeratul or tychus and just now you are worry for "unbalance" ?
Halving the Roaches on their summon seems the best 'first draft' idea. The structure attack can keep the full 4 Roach effect. I'm fine with Charging Protocol – absolutely love this spell. If they need further balancing look at a bit of a cooldown – nothing too long, but enough to cut back on having multiple waves out at once. Roaches can be made stronger to compensate if needed.

I do really love this unit and hope they don't change it completely.

Also, two usability tweaks. 1: they really need to raise the priority of burrowed Infestors, as right now they're dead last. 2: let us rally the eggs.
I don't honestly know why your talking about balance in a mode where your against the computer.
Do you really think that broken when you compare it to some of the mutations.
I very much agree with replacing the spawn roaches ability with something else. Even if they fixed the lagging issue with using that I always sigh when I see my Stettman partner go full in with the infestors. Not only does it take awhile for them to actually start helping but the sheer mass of units make body blocking very obnoxious. I was playing Tychus and despite Tychus and the devils supposedly being able to push other units aside my units were getting swarmed with all the roaches and I had to use Medivac to get them out cause of course Stettman isn't paying attention, just spamming those roaches without a care in the world.

When I play Stettman I avoid building infestors mainly out of courtesy to my partner because of the lag, the body blocking mention above, and it's kind of boring just to use one unit when there are so many interesting units to use. Granted some of those other units can use a buff, but they are still good.

And finishing on a lesser note..I feel sad for Zagara. Stettman laughs at her infestor drop.
05/26/2019 06:27 PMPosted by Marsling
I don't honestly know why your talking about balance in a mode where your against the computer.
Do you really think that broken when you compare it to some of the mutations.
It's more nuanced than that.

When something is overly powerful when playing against the AI, it becomes too easy and eventually less fun to play. Making things appropriately challenging is part of the balance.

The bigger issue is that mass Infestors makes everything else look much weaker by comparison. There's little to no point in using anything else when one solution does everything.
You might think this week's mutation hard-counters Stetmann but you are WRONG! You just need to hold down on T and then F2+A to victory. Proof:

https://www.bilibili.com/video/av53709075

Many people have mentioned that it causes serious lag in the game as well. I propose a simple nerf that solves the problem: add a 30-second cool down to the ability.

Why does this work? Let's look at how imba the infestor is. Currently the Stetzone can generate 8 mana per second with full mastery. This means an infestor can throw 5 units every 15.625 second. If you believe the small roach is worth 1 supply of fighting unit and the ravager is worth 2, then this group is worth 6 supplies. Given that the roaches can survive 60 seconds, an infestor can contribute 6*4=24 supplies of fighting power if you don't count the infestor itself. What is even more crazy is that when Gary overcharges a Stetellite, one infestor can can sprawn over 50 supply of units.

I don't know how you think about the fact that a 2-supply infestor = 50 supplies of fighting units. You can argue that Kerrigan is worth 100-supply. But come on, Kerrigan is a hero that you only have 1. Stetmann can build 20 infestors by the 15 minute mark. With Stetellite overcharge, this is equal to 1000-supply of units. I don't think any other commander can reach this kind of strength at 15:00.

If there is a 30-second cooldown on the "Roaches Away!" ability, one infestor can only contribute 12 supplies of fighting army with this ability. This have multiple benefits:
(1) Ameliorates the lag
(2) Reduces the upper-limit of the infestor to a reasonable level, while doesn't affect much of the lower-limit
(3) Makes the "Deconstructive Roach-nites" ability much more attractive because now most of the time it is not needed

I hope Blizzard can seriously consider this issue. I understand that new commanders need to be strong so more people will buy them, but we players don't want one unit completely trivializes the game in all situations. That's no fun at all.
I'm ok with nerfing the infestor if they buff his other units to balance it out.
05/26/2019 10:02 PMPosted by JaredYe
add a 30-second cool down to the ability

I think it's far from enough. After adding a 30s cool down (8 roaches + 2 ravagers per minute) it is still far stronger than 4 of stukov's bunkers combined (10 troopers per minute)

If we take the standard of how dev-team nerfed Stukov's bunkers ( 60/24 = 2.5 supply of free units costs 350 mineral and 6 supply), an infestor (11 * 60/(125/8) = 42.24 supplies of units even before considering overload) should cost 5913.6 minerals and 101.376 supplies. lol

IMO It's better if the dev-team just remove this ability, or give it a super long cool-down like 4 minutes.
05/26/2019 10:50 PMPosted by Matrix
05/26/2019 10:02 PMPosted by JaredYe
add a 30-second cool down to the ability

I think it's far from enough. 8 roaches + 2 ravagers per minutes is still far stronger than 4 of stukov's bunkers combined (10 troopers per minute)

If we take the standard of how dev-team nerfed Stukov's bunkers (approx. 60/24 = 2.5 supply of free units costs 350 mineral and 6 supply), an infestor (11*60/(125/8)=42.24 supplies of units even before considering overload) should cost 5913.6 minerals and 101.376 supplies. lol

IMO It's better to just remove this ability, or give it a super long cool-down like 4 minutes.

Bunkers are a horrible comparison. Infestors don't have the amove potential of the bastard child between an ultralisk and a BC.
I don't really care about the infestor cheese aside from the lag it causes. It's just the same as going all ascendants with Alarak. I think Stet's other units just need more love to make them on par with infestors like how they buffed Alarak's mech.

A way to address the issue would be to consolidate the potential health and damage caused by the roach horde into a single "mega-roach" or "mega-ravager" (at max energy) whose power depends on the amount of remaining egonenergy consumed when the ability is used. That way it keeps most of the firepower while lessening lag and puts a kind of a "cooldown" to it since it uses up all of the infestor's energy forcing it to recharge.
There definitely is the push priority issue paired with the body blocking. I’ve lost and taken way more unnecessary damage as other commanders when I’m drowning in roach/ravager.
The only reason roaches are so prevalent is because they're his easiest and strongest comp, put more power into his neglected other units and chances are we'd organically see them used less. As it stands he needs absurd amounts of micro to use any real collection of more than two units (his ultralisks are the only ones in the game to have a manual burrow charge ability, and his lurkers + corruptors could use having their single target abilities be made more impactful and like... actually worth using, or at least autocasted, because you'll never use either right now) so infestors are his only real go-to
How about making Roaches and Ravagers cost supply? So that Stetmann can't make thousand of Roaches, but it won't affect his early game.
05/28/2019 04:00 AMPosted by Syltom
How about making Roaches and Ravagers cost supply? So that Stetmann can't make thousand of Roaches, but it won't affect his early game.

I think this is kind of a bandaid solution.

1) It wastes the potential to change a unit for the better (still hoping on chain-lightning here).

2) This still doesn’t stop the spam. At saturation of 50 ish supply. Let’s even give a simple production of 20 Mecha Infestors, the player is still free to spawn over 100 supply worth of Roach/Ravager every less than 10sec depending on situation.

3) Gameplay of any commander should not be make 10-20 of a cheap unit (comparative to say Nova/Zeratul) and win the game. Even Stukov, a mass infested design focused commander, has to build 20-30 bunkers costing 7-10k resource to trickle mass play.

(Please don’t trigger bunker complaints... stick to topic people lol)
05/26/2019 10:06 PMPosted by Alex
I'm ok with nerfing the infestor if they buff his other units to balance it out.

Whoever disliked your comment either never played him or, just need to actually play co-op really...

One more thing making his roaches and ravagers is that their collision sizes. You can have marine-sized army dealing way much more dps, way tankier, let alone being "free" units.