Mecha Drones

Co-op Missions Discussion
Shouldn't Mecha drones BUILD building, not MORPH into them? Cuz you know, they are kinda MECHA, and it's wierd to see them morph into something.
I agree. That does look weird.
By that logic - why does stetmann occupy a hive?

Should’nt he just ... Use a facility or stuff?
Stetmann is the filthiest !@#$ing roleplayer in the galaxy.
Maybe from a purely mechanical perspective it is. But in a bio-mechanical approach morphing into a building is quite feasible.
05/27/2019 12:51 AMPosted by Crusher

Well i think he likes Hives interior or something like that. But MECH unit morphing into building is kinda weird. Just make them SCV rescin and let them build!
05/27/2019 12:59 AMPosted by Koetetsu
Maybe from a purely mechanical perspective it is. But in a bio-mechanical approach morphing into a building is quite feasible.

Nanomachines, Son.
The obvious point I thought was then you’d have to design the build animation for drones in a similar fashion to SCV. I’m no programmer but that seem like a much different project than adding repair or set a trigger for buildings to auto-build (like Protoss). Having a Mecha Drone moving back and forth between the morphed building is probably not in the pre-set unit animations.
It's clear that Stetmann has attempted to replicate the Zerg via mechanical means, and why not? There is research today in the real world in getting robots and computers to replicate the behaviour of insects in the name of distributed computing and artificial intelligence.

And having robots turn themselves into parts of a building while constructing them from raw materials (e.g. minerals) is one of the approaches being evaluated for colonising Mars and the Moon.
05/27/2019 12:51 AMPosted by Crusher

He's REALLY obsessed with Zerg.
I'd love if they could build instead of morphing but as smb said above, they are just reskinned organic drones and it must have been easier to just use the pre-made animations instead of creating new ones.