At least 8 Protoss in Round of 16 of GSL

General Discussion
There will be at least 8 Protoss in the Round of 16 in the GSL.

This is after there was 7 Protoss out of 8 players in the GSL Super Tournament, the first time that 7 players of the same race were in the quarterfinals of a premier Korean SC2 tournament (I don't even know if this even happened in BW in the OSL/MSL before).

This is after 8 out of 14 players that qualified for the GSL Super Tournament were Protoss.

While I generally root for Terran, I'm sure that even many of the Zerg players in this forum are tired of Protoss representation in Korean premier tournaments.
While I generally root for Terran, I'm sure that even many of the Zerg players in this forum are tired of Protoss representation in Korean premier tournaments.

Balance asides, it's pretty interesting that two whiners in the last two days used Zerg (one Protoss, one Terran) to whine about the other race… Maybe that tells us where the problem really is?
Ok so 8 protoss out of 16 players.
So what was something imbalance or broken that you found out?
This stat is still more acceptable then winning 6 gsl in a row and 7 out of 9. Which terran has won
05/08/2019 09:38 AMPosted by Nevo
This stat is still more acceptable then winning 6 gsl in a row and 7 out of 9. Which terran has won

No it is not. It is far more likely that one player is better than everybody else than 7 players being better than everybody else.
05/08/2019 09:38 AMPosted by Nevo

Well with sOs being the favourite in his group one can expect this number to go up to 9/16...

Two Korean tournaments in a row where Protoss is grossly overrepresented (numbers we have almost never seen before).

It could be a meta shift… and the meta would eventually settle to 50%... but is it? That's the question the balance team will have to answer shortly… do you want to wait until Blizzcon?

Looking at recent balance changes, just a SINGLE tournament (IEM) of Terran not doing well was enough to nerf both Zerg and Protoss so if you're being consistent here, a balance patch should be announced when RO16 concludes.
It really doesn’t matter. People need to stop using other people’s experiences to whine. Whine about stuff you lose to.
05/08/2019 09:44 AMPosted by Zergring
It really doesn’t matter. People need to stop using other people’s experiences to whine. Whine about stuff you lose to.

There's more than this. I don't think I'm gonna wake up at 5AM to watch a bunch of PvPs.
Blizzard should take a different approach. They nerff Protoss over and over and the pesky-Protoss thrive......
They should nerff the IQ of Protoss-players from 130-150 to 80-85 and that would do the trick!

Thrasher came with a perfect suggestion:
Make Assimilator cost 75 Minerals and .....1 Gass.
Then see the hated protoss play......
05/08/2019 09:44 AMPosted by Velitey
Looking at recent balance changes, just a SINGLE tournament (IEM) of Terran not doing well was enough to nerf both Zerg and Protoss so if you're being consistent here, a balance patch should be announced when RO16 concludes.

You mean a community feedback which they had months of prior to the nydus nerf, which was mostly a PvZ problem. Blizzard doesn't just balance according to performance of a single tournament game play has a huge impact on changes.
Gadwin, I kind of wish you would at least wait until the Ro32 would finish in a few days so we can analyze the Ro16 fully instead of merely speculate. But yeah, at least 8 Protoss, 3 Terran and 3 Zerg will make it to the Ro16 and that does look problematic. However, I will reserve judgement until GSL S2 finishes personally before drawing conclusions because rounds tend to be unpredictable and anything can happen.
05/08/2019 08:19 AMPosted by gadwin

While I generally root for Terran,

well, glad you told us that, since nobody would have noticed it.

yes, there are more toss players than normal advancing, but tbh, terran and zerg players really played bad in some cases. rogue f.e.

i think, that toss is too strong right now, but not in a point, that would make the race unbeatable. and after 6 seasons of terran starcraft league, im glad, that we see some other races than terran in the later stages of the gsl.
05/08/2019 10:01 AMPosted by Raver
Gadwin, I kind of wish you would at least wait until the Ro32 would finish in a few days so we can analyze the Ro16 fully instead of merely speculate. But yeah, at least 8 Protoss, 3 Terran and 3 Zerg will make it to the Ro16 and that does look problematic. However, I will reserve judgement until GSL S2 finishes personally before drawing conclusions because rounds tend to be unpredictable and anything can happen.

No need to. We know at least 8 Protoss will qualify. I can update the title easily if the 9th Protoss qualifies.

And you don't need to reserve judgement. The GSL Super Tournament was another set of data. Even for GSL Season 1, more Protoss qualified than Terran or Zerg.
05/08/2019 10:32 AMPosted by gadwin

No need to. We know at least 8 Protoss will qualify. I can update the title easily if the 9th Protoss qualifies.

And you don't need to reserve judgement. The GSL Super Tournament was another set of data. Even for GSL Season 1, more Protoss qualified than Terran or Zerg.

Sure, the last Protoss nerff was digested and the effect ended after 1 month. Now it's the turn of another Protoss nerff to hold Terrans afloat.

They degrade their play at the rate of 5% a week, so Blizzard has to nerff Protoss each Month 10-20% just to maintain balance.

It's like in socker - (football in EU and the world) that if you suck at the game the only way to balance is to make the other Team (Protoss Race) play not with 11 players but .....5 players.
05/08/2019 10:38 AMPosted by Gooba

Sure, the last Protoss nerff was digested and the effect ended after 1 month. Now it's the turn of another Protoss nerff to hold Terrans afloat.

They degrade their play at the rate of 5% a week, so Blizzard has to nerff Protoss each Month 10-20% just to maintain balance.

It's like in socker - (football in EU and the world) that if you suck at the game the only way to balance is to make the other Team (Protoss Race) play not with 11 players but .....5 players.

They literally do this. Except Protoss is getting buffs.

What about Zerg? There are just as few Zerg qualified as there are Terran qualified at the moment.

What about the GSL Super Tournament? There were 0 Zerg in the Round of 8 in the GSL Super Tournament.

Gooba, why do you refuse to acknowledge that Zerg is also struggling in Korea while Protoss consistently has over representation in the last two Korean premier tournaments?
05/08/2019 10:48 AMPosted by gadwin
Gooba, why do you refuse to acknowledge that Zerg is also struggling in Korea while Protoss consistently has over representation in the last two Korean premier tournaments?

Zerg is dominating EU and doing fine in the US. People keep taking one statistique that makes their argument look good while ignoring everything that counters them.

And I don't even think we can say it's because of the skill gap between Korea and the rest of the world. The skill level between Kr and EU has been reduced steadily for years and even though it's still there, it's no longer by that big of a margin. Many Koreans have commented on that and wouldn't be surprised if EU and Kr were on equal footing in a few years.

It's actually funny to read "consistently has over representation in the last two Korean premier tournaments". You need at least 3 to start having a pattern, and a few more to be able to talk about consistency.
05/08/2019 10:45 AMPosted by Platys

They literally do this. Except Protoss is getting buffs.

Sure, Upgrade timings hitting latter, Immortals more expensive, Feedback making half the damage, Recall 800% less area, Tempests slower are such buffs.
On top of those buffs we have even Assimilator HP and SB HP increased.......hm.... decreased......
LOL, they made even GW units come 3 secs latter........

I guess the help (only for the month of May) for terrans would be to make Protoss start with 4 Probes.

Then in June tou will be again at the Square One.....more Protoss nerffs to hold you afloat.

Some friends of yours already are asking for Immortal nerffs. Better join them......
05/08/2019 11:22 AMPosted by Papanarbre
05/08/2019 10:48 AMPosted by gadwin

Zerg is dominating EU and doing fine in the US. People keep taking one statistique that makes their argument look good while ignoring everything that counters them.

And I don't even think we can say it's because of the skill gap between Korea and the rest of the world. The skill level between Kr and EU has been reduced steadily for years and even though it's still there, it's no longer by that big of a margin. Many Koreans have commented on that and wouldn't be surprised if EU and Kr were on equal footing in a few years.

It's actually funny to read "consistently has over representation in the last two Korean premier tournaments". You need at least 3 to start having a pattern, and a few more to be able to talk about consistency.

Oh please… this is all false and you KNOW it.

Look at WCS Winter… just ONE MORE Zerg player over protoss in EU… ''Dominating''… !!!! Players like Elazer, Nerchio and Lambo are far from doing as well as they have done last year, this isn't 2017/2018 anymore.

How many players from EU/NA can consistently make Code S? 3 or 4 maximum maybe? We saw Neeb fail to qualify in the past (even during his prime), Scarlett failed to qualify last season, Elazer doesn't always make it… same for Special despite trying. DNS, Kelazhur, Drogo, Masa, Jonsnow… never made it even once despite being at the top of EU and NA.

The truth is that Serral is dominating EU, you look at the rest of the player base and it seems pretty balanced… look at the numbers! Serral and Reynor may compete in Code S... and maybe someone like Elazer/Showtime can make code S but they probably wouldn't make it out of RO32 and if they would it would be an upset. They are excellent players don't get me wrong but saying EU and KR are on the same footing is a straight up WRONG statement. Why do you think Blizzcon, GSL vs the World and IEM Katowice had such strong Korean representation (again, look at the numbers)? Serral is the literal only player that can keep up past RO16, with the very occasional Neeb/Special upset. That doesn't mean Zerg is 'dominating EU', it means there is one player out there good enough to keep up with the Korean elite. It doesn't make Zerg 'dominate EU'.

Yeah, I know it's not the biggest deal in the world, I just like to wait until all the data is in first. As for Protoss dominating rounds, it is certainly a problem, but I put far more stock on finalists and winners and as of right now, we don't know what race that is yet so I will wait for GSL S2 to finish for that reason.

As of now, there are 2 Terran winners, 2 Protoss winners and 2 Zerg winners as well as 3 Zerg finalists, 2 Protoss finalists and 1 Terran finalist for 2019 premier tournament. Balance wise, that is not bad at all:

https://liquipedia.net/starcraft2/Premier_Tournaments
no regret? XD