Give a purpose to division ranks.

General Discussion
Division ranks are irrelevant outside of GM. That is to say : for 99,9% of the playerbase.

They could serve a purpose though.
Give a reward to those who rank higher, and see the number of games played each season increase, as players would have a true incentive to spend their bonus pool.

Rewards could include a random skin not already owned, an exclusive portrait that would change every season or whatever you can come up with. Anything would do.
I agree with myself. I made a very good point.
I've never really gave the league ranks attention like you said. It would be fun if you knew those people and a totally played against them but normally you don't. I think leagues would be a cool thing if you had a more active community than SC2 has, not to take away from the fact it is growing. Also competing in your own league would be nice if there was some competition.
Well. They do have purpose: to give some idea of "progressing" to people staying in one league for too long and interested in some e-pen length, instead of the game.
05/20/2019 11:51 AMPosted by srav
I agree with myself. I made a very good point.

:)
This is the best post of the week. Unfortunately humor is a scarce commodity in this forum and you can be attacked for that......
This reminds me of the DukeNukem. Though i disagree with 99% of his posts i like him very much for his humor an i am in better terms with him than with people of my own race......
05/18/2019 04:21 PMPosted by srav
Division ranks are irrelevant outside of GM. That is to say : for 99,9% of the playerbase.

Give a reward to those who rank higher, and see the number of games played each season increase, as players would have a true incentive to spend their bonus pool.

Rewards could include a random skin not already owned, an exclusive portrait that would change every season or whatever you can come up with. Anything would do.
so you want that many players started to cheese to get free skins?
05/18/2019 04:21 PMPosted by srav

Seems like a good Idea to me. Or like at the end of the season they could offer everyone like a bonus amount of mmr based on your ranking. Doesn't have to be a lot (like 20ish mmr at most). Would give you at least something to strive for.

Or on the flip side if they dont want to give rewards they could do this. Just combine all the divisions within the league into one massive division. Then make the ranking system go based off your MMR. If people have the same MMR then win loss ratio, ect. That way you could see how you stack up to the other people in your league.

So you could be like: Ok cool im the 1000th best player in Diamond 1 league. Basically it would work exactly the same as GM just on a bigger scale.
The Problem is, that the current division system can be really easy exploited. I have woundered, why in many of my divisions, the first place goes to someone who has way more lost games then won games. But when i checked there profile i saw, that their MMR is way lower then it should be but that they have won 20 games or so in a row.

so basicly they will drop their MMR to bronze 3 by the start of a season where you have no bonus pool to loose, and then they play themselfs up again at the end of a season, so that all of the bonus pool goes to won games and not to lost games.

And if you play fair, then your W/L Ratio will always stay around 50'% because if its way higher then you will advance into an upper league/Division. So the Division Points are more or less limited to a certain degree. But if you "smurf" your way back to your real MMR, you can have almost limitless Points at the end of the season.

I think the reason, why we never get a reward for placing high in a division ranked, is because this would encourage this type of behavior even more!
But if you "smurf" your way back to your real MMR, you can have almost limitless Points at the end of the season.

Thing is, it shouldn't take that many games to do, unless you keep quitting won games which will defy the whole point of the operation.
I don't think THAT many people would abuse it like so.
05/21/2019 03:19 AMPosted by Sipher
The Problem is, that the current division system can be really easy exploited. I have woundered, why in many of my divisions, the first place goes to someone who has way more lost games then won games. But when i checked there profile i saw, that their MMR is way lower then it should be but that they have won 20 games or so in a row.

so basicly they will drop their MMR to bronze 3 by the start of a season where you have no bonus pool to loose, and then they play themselfs up again at the end of a season, so that all of the bonus pool goes to won games and not to lost games.

And if you play fair, then your W/L Ratio will always stay around 50'% because if its way higher then you will advance into an upper league/Division. So the Division Points are more or less limited to a certain degree. But if you "smurf" your way back to your real MMR, you can have almost limitless Points at the end of the season.

I think the reason, why we never get a reward for placing high in a division ranked, is because this would encourage this type of behavior even more!

I think by doing an MMR focused reward that would pretty much eliminate that issue. If people are smurfing it stands to reason that they wouldn't benefit from the increased MMR at the end of the season and so they wouldn't go through much trouble to obtain it. Sure it would probably still get given to a bunch of smurfs every season but its really not that big of a deal.

But honestly I think I like the 1 massive league that shows you exactly how you stack up to other players (basically exactly like gm just for all the leagues) idea better. That idea would completely eliminate and potential for abuse but still give a little more meaning to the rankings deal. Obviously at the end of the day it doesn't really matter if you are rank 400 or rank 50 in Gold 1 but it would still be nice to see I think. :)
Always up-vote srav.