Effectiveness of 1 base roach vs toss?

Zerg Discussion
I was just wondering how effective is it to pressure toss players with 1 base roach before expanding or teching to lair. My big problem is drawn out games, I lose focus and start forgetting things left and right and everything goes down hill. And if I do go for this, what early toss builds should I be aware of to set off alarms in my head and not go 1 base roach.
Scout. If they go one gate into cybernetics core, you are safe to expand. If you see 2 gates expect a zealot push or a 4 gate. Then you are better off going 1 base roach/speed lings.
If I scout gate, core, 2 gas, wouldn't I have a window to pressure him?
But these are all still theories, maybe I should try them out sometime, seeing how my rank is pretty much set for a while, being 30 points behind/in front of the players 1 above/below me
If I scout gate, core, 2 gas, wouldn't I have a window to pressure him?
But these are all still theories, maybe I should try them out sometime, seeing how my rank is pretty much set for a while, being 30 points behind/in front of the players 1 above/below me

he would have likely walled himself off and possibly have gotten sentries to forcefield his ramp, effectively delaying the push of your roaches into his base. in the meantime while you attempt to get passed the ramp, hes using the 2 gas to either pump voidrays/colossi while your still on 1 base and have yet to get a lair.

the best you could do is (once scouted the gas) get lair and expand, as well as getting overlord speed. that way you can suicide an ovie once in a while to see exactly what hes planning. and dont be afraid to tech to tier 3, brood lords/ultras will save you in most cases.