placement matches?

General Discussion
I get the general layout of placement matches. Based on performance you're put up against stronger or weaker opponents and placed in a league based on how you do after 5 games.

What i don't understand is why placement match players are put against other placement match players at any point other than RIGHT after release of the game.

Because of placement vs placement matches, gold players can be bumped down to silver or lower and bronze/silver players can be thrown into gold+.

I know when i first starting playing in the beta, i was barely a low bronze level player (before the creation of the diamond league) and was thrown into gold! Proceeded to get beat around repeatedly.

Later on (still before diamond), they reset the server and i placed into Platinum! At the time, i was probably at the peak of my SC2 performance, but even then I only should have been a mid-high level gold player. Now, my first placement match was against a placement guy who's now platinum, and my third or fourth was against another guy who's currently 2v2 plat and i think 3-1 in 1v1 placements. As a result I went 3-2 in placements and was placed in gold.

For all i know, it may be for the best. Maybe its better for me to be high level gold instead of low-mid level platinum right now?

Note that i'm not solely criticizing, i'm looking for other opinions. Is there a reason why this is a good idea to continue? Do others have similar sentiments?

Thanks,
-Krevan Ser Kay
Don't sweat it, it'll take time for everyone to get evened out. The good players will smash their way back up, and the "lesser skilled players" will get good experience as they lose.
Any idea how the promotion system works? I heard from some people you need to win X games in a row, from others that an amazing win-lose-ratio gets it, and from others that you need a really high rating.
Any idea how the promotion system works? I heard from some people you need to win X games in a row, from others that an amazing win-lose-ratio gets it, and from others that you need a really high rating.

I was in bronze and the max in a row i have won was only 2. Won 10 total games and they bumped me to silver.

PS. My win/loss ratio is horrible. I think it just depends on if you keep beating people that are "favored" against you
My first match was against a bronze with 9 games, and 1 win.

To me, that is unfair he is playing a completely "new" player, when he clearly has been struggling to win a game regardless.
PS. My win/loss ratio is horrible. I think it just depends on if you keep beating people that are "favored" against you

well the "favored" depends on their league rank

if you're at the bottom of your league and it says you're favored, you're probably playing someone lower.. like if you're silver you're probably playing a bronze player. if you're at the top of gold and playing someone favored they're probably plat. So yea, beating them gets you bumped up

My first match was against a bronze with 9 games, and 1 win.

To me, that is unfair he is playing a completely "new" player, when he clearly has been struggling to win a game regardless.

and yea it's WAY too easy to purposely lose all of your placements then farm newbs in bronze. but thats not something that can be patched really =/ thats just if they lose the right matches they get to stay there?
Well, you are saying that you shouldn't play unranked players (ones still playing their placement matches) because now the system should have enough other "properly" placed players to make this unnecessary.

I am just pointing out that I played a ranked player, who was in the bronze league, and didn't stand a chance; having only won 1 game out of 9.

To me, this is even more unfair. The system should know he isn't very good and they have no measure of my skill, as it was my very first placement match.
oooh i got it backwards, thought you said 9-1 win-lose ratio.

so maybe try to pull from more average level guys of those leagues? cause 1-8 bronze is hardly good enough win to say you're worthy of being in silver

though, when i get bronze guys as first placement, its usually REALLY low level guys, then my second one is against a higher up bronze. OR i get a mid-high level bronze guy then get a silver/gold next. (these were during beta) it seems all over the place