Walling in TvT

Terran Discussion
I'm not sure why, but in most of my recent TvTs my opponent has walled himself in (this is against opponents in leagues as high as masters) and I'm just wondering if there's a reason for it I'm not aware of or if I've come across a string of players who don't know much about building placement.
hiding tech.. that's really the only reason I would do it
Salts, why wouldn't you want to wall in? (serious question, I'm not being facetious)
If you wall, your opponent can shell it with siege tanks. You could also be using those buildings to wall-off your mineral line from hellions, instead of your ramp from a scout which will probably arrive before the wall finishes.
Personal preference, people do it to hide tech and/or prevent run-bys. It's not some huge disadvantage people make it out to be.
I'm in plat so perhaps it's not my place to talk, but I used to wall in for all match ups. since then I've changed, and have started with blocking an easy entrance into my mineral line. sure, well micro'd helions or reapers might get some hits off, but usually if i lose any scvs, it's only 1-2, while they lose 2-3 units depending on which it is and how many.

sometimes i don't wall the ramp with my rax against toss either, and then finish the wall with a bunker...with zerg i just auto wall for i fear them lings...

but again, only in plat, would love to hear other arguments =]
I like having an organized base, so I only wall off against Zerg.
potentially free scouting for your opponent with no wall

hellion run by (I abuse this often myself)

much easier for tanks to defend if there is also a wall to stop them from getting rushed

can always move buildings later for addons
Anytime my opponent walls off in a TvT, I get tanks on that wall pretty early. You have to watch out of a counter drop, and I bring a couple SCVs for turrets, if I think he's getting Banshees. It's one of the few situations where my TvT wins are pretty consistent.
Anything other than straight-up cheese that gets to your front door will probably destroy your wall before you get any use out of it, and anything that would be able to do a runby into your base can also be dropped there by a medivac. Walling is unnecessary in TvT. Build a bunker if you need to hold some cheese.
06/10/2011 10:12 AMPosted by Salts
I'm not sure why, but in most of my recent TvTs my opponent has walled himself in (this is against opponents in leagues as high as masters) and I'm just wondering if there's a reason for it I'm not aware of or if I've come across a string of players who don't know much about building placement.

There's a particular Marine/SCV rush going around that's pretty powerful (although I still don't wall off).

The people that follow the build exactly put their first barracks at the bottom of their own ramp and block off with 1 supply depot, and calldown supplies on the depot. Sounds pretty stupid but it's effective. If you see it coming, quickly build 3 bunkers at the top of your ramp.
Early nuke on an opponent who wall-in can be very effective.

(smash the supply depot + kill units nearby)
I've started wallin in in tvt

no reason not to if you are going bio, he won't be able to get a tank with seige in time to abuse it
The best reason to not wall off is really that everything is condensed early on, meaning you're less vulnerable to things like reaper harass.
After that tanks make a more effective wall than anything else.
I'd wall in tvp and tvz however... In the end though it's personal preference where you put your buildings, everything has its own disadvantages and advantages.
I don't know, personally, when I'm deciding what strat to go for TvT, if they wall in I'm going tank viking.

I mean, at worst your going to get 2 supply depots. If you setup just perfect, you can hit their depots but they cannot hit your tanks since their tanks are behind the depots. Then your just in range of the middle of the ramp so if they want to try and tank push out, they can only put one tank on the ramp at a time.

I've had bad experiences walling in so I just don't now. Leaves me more room to play with. Even if they try to cheese, a bunker at the front is usually all you need.
If a T is at your ramp with tanks and has high ground vision, you probably shouldn't have allowed yourself to get into that position in the first place.
Protecting the base from hellions is probably the main reason. Walling off allows you to keep your army close to your mineral patch since you don't have to worry about early hellion run-ins. It can also buy you a bit of time if you are caught off guard by a marine rush

06/10/2011 06:06 PMPosted by Xenos
If a T is at your ramp with tanks and has high ground vision, you probably shouldn't have allowed yourself to get into that position in the first place.

Yeah exactly. Even if you didn't wall off you are still put in a very awkward position if you allow your opponent to contain you in your base. Good constant scouting is important to avoid this scenario.
06/10/2011 10:43 AMPosted by ATLSmith
Salts, why wouldn't you want to wall in? (serious question, I'm not being facetious)

Because every terran unit except the SCV has a ranged attack. As far as I'm concerned, when a player builds a wall in TvT, he's making it safer for his opponent to destroy some of his infrastructure than he is making it easier for himself to defend.

Obviously there are some situations where walling off is beneficial (ex. their hellions vs. your marines), but I feel that walling off should only be done under those circumstances, rather than all the time (for the reason I mentioned above). And as terrans we have the ability to simply lift buildings off the ground and move them to a new position if need be, so we should be perfectly safe going about our builds without giving ourselves a false sense of security until we scout something that leads us to believe that walling off would be the wisest course of action to take.

I don't know, personally, when I'm deciding what strat to go for TvT, if they wall in I'm going tank viking.

I mean, at worst your going to get 2 supply depots. If you setup just perfect, you can hit their depots but they cannot hit your tanks since their tanks are behind the depots. Then your just in range of the middle of the ramp so if they want to try and tank push out, they can only put one tank on the ramp at a time.

I've had bad experiences walling in so I just don't now. Leaves me more room to play with. Even if they try to cheese, a bunker at the front is usually all you need.

06/10/2011 11:28 AMPosted by MattOverMind
Anytime my opponent walls off in a TvT, I get tanks on that wall pretty early. You have to watch out of a counter drop, and I bring a couple SCVs for turrets, if I think he's getting Banshees. It's one of the few situations where my TvT wins are pretty consistent.

These are the issues I'm talking about.