Why dont Hydras get +2 per upgrade?

General Discussion
Prev 1 7 8 9 13 Next
07/02/2011 06:41 AMPosted by trooneh
Hydralisks don't get +2 per upgrade because that would mean they might actually counter the units they are supposed to counter, and we can't have that now can we.

Stalkers don't get +1(+1) per upgrade because that would mean they might actually counter the units they are supposed to counter (roaches anyone?), and we can't have that now can we.

See what I did there?

Immortals?
stalker as twice the life of a hydra, they dont need a buff
We want hydras to be viable.

We don't want everything else to be silly vs. hydras.
If you are going to buff the hydra then the roach should be nerfed. If u just buff the hydra, roach + hydra= win every game.
The only buffs hydras need is a movement speed buff off of creep. Other than that, hydras are pretty much fine I think.
Hydralisks already have some pretty damn good DPS. I'd just like to change the following:

Increased Movement Speed off of Creep

At least +20 Health

Change to tier 1.5 unit instead of 2 so we can drop the Hydralisk Den before having to go Lair
I agree that Hydras are severely underpowered compared to their Brood War counterparts, requiring Lair tech, costing 2 supply, and used mostly as anti-air rather than bread-n-butter (the Roach seems to fit that role nicely with a lot of Zergs nowadays). I also agree that I think they should be stronger in some way; I'm not sure how exactly, but I think it should be something.

I disagree, however, that the change should be the attack upgrade; Zerg focuses more on "swarm-ing" an opponent. Perhaps an upgrade that decreases attack cooldown would be preferred. I also disagree that Blizzard said:

07/02/2011 06:27 AMPosted by WCILawrenceV
"We like terran and not zerg, so their upgrades scale twice as good for a way cheaper and more obtainable unit"

I recommend that you focus on "natural race differences" and exploit an opposing race's weaknesses rather than "imbalances."
07/02/2011 06:39 AMPosted by Robotix
Hydralisks don't get +2 per upgrade because that would mean they might actually counter the units they are supposed to counter, and we can't have that now can we.

Where is this book that says Hydralisks are supposed to counter X?
The only thing I've found is
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/game/unit/hydralisk

And it says it's strong vs those Air units.
07/02/2011 11:27 PMPosted by FataL

Hydras have more than twice the DPS of a stalker, they don't need a buff.
I know. playing protoss is about %90 forcefield placement
Hydras are excellent vs toss if there is any =2 per upgrades they would be OP vs toss making the toss have to get the trollosus everygame. A speed upgrade would be better than this
Because Blizzard hates hydralisks.. I almost feel bad when I see a zerg opponent go for them.
Hydras do 3X the DPS of the stalker =(

But yes, they should get a +2 on their damage.
07/02/2011 11:27 PMPosted by FataL

And only one third of the DPS though. That makes them about even when we consider blink.
Stalkers can kite hydras to death on creep and off.
07/03/2011 08:46 AMPosted by Hurricane

No, the only thing stalkers can kite are zealots. The dumbass stalker delay before firing allows just about ANYTHING to maneuver in range, even roaches!

Know what you're talking about before posting, and avoid being corrected by silver-leaguers.
07/03/2011 08:46 AMPosted by Hurricane

Hydralisks move 3.375 on creep, with a range of 6 with grooved spines. Stalkers move 2.95 with a range of 6.

Explain how exactly stalkers can kite hydras.
I love how people are saying that a hydra buff would mean roach/hydra crushes everything. I guess none of these people have ever made tanks for colossi.
Hydras are good enough currently in ZvZ and ZvP (might be too strong in ZvZ) ZvP col and storm melt them pretty well but they deal quite well with gate way units.

07/03/2011 09:11 AMPosted by trooneh

Hydralisks move 3.375 on creep, with a range of 6 with grooved spines. Stalkers move 2.95 with a range of 6.

Explain how exactly stalkers can kite hydras.

Blink, costs same as then 1 range upgrade for hydra. Personally I would have a blink ability on my hydras then a +1 range.