Ultras?

Terran Discussion
How the hell do I beat like 5-10 ultras who just charge into my base and kill everything? Thor's 250mm cannons don't stun it, and ultras kill thors so fast. Besides, it's not like somehow I can wait until 150 energy on 5-10 thors and do 250mm cannons, only to have another 10 ultras to be remade and kill everything. Ultra demolishes everything.

The battle.net website says to use banshees or bcs LOL.

Marauders with stim and kiting them don't work, ever since you'll just kite until you're behind your tank line. Then ultras would kill all the tanks, and zerglings would just swarm my marauders anyway. And if the infestors FG... -.-

I don't get how to beat ultras as terran... help, anyone?
I'm actually a little confused on this myself, but I don't know that it's so much I can't beat ultras, as the Zerg hits "400 food" and I lose.
Marine tank and Marauders medivac work fine vs them. I don't know what else to tell you. If you keep up with upgrades and upgrade tank damage it shouldnt be that big of an issue. Generally when Ultras over power you big time you were probably more behind than you think. Honestly I think BL Infestor is a million times worse personally.
doomdash is right, if you've kept up on upgrades that regular mmm+ tank works fine.

BL + infestors is a friggin nightmare, fortunately ghosts deal with both fairly well.
07/02/2011 08:51 AMPosted by deathtrance
ultras kill thors so fast.

Mathematically, this is incorrect.

Thors do ~47 DPS. Ultralisks do ~41DPS.

Thors are ranged units, thus not suffering the penalty of melee clumping (some ultras not being able to attack due to unit collision) and the initial damage melee take when entering combat.

250mm strike cannons is 500 damage. Utralisks have 500hp.
07/02/2011 08:51 AMPosted by deathtrance
only to have another 10 ultras to be remade and kill everything.

If this happens, you had already lost the game and it didn't matter that he used Ultralisks to kill you. The Ultralisks overrunning your army were a fancy formality asking you to gg.

Ultralisks cost exactly the same as Thors, but take 10 seconds longer to produce. If you have money equal to the zerg and are silly enough to do pure Thor, make more factories.
Yeah, but usually you won't have 0/3 upgrades on thors. Zerg will most of the time, have 3/3 with chitinous plating. So i would think ultras would kill thors. Then again, I used to be zerg and my terran opponent let me surround his thors with ultras :P

Also, from full energy, thors can only use 250mm cannons once, then wait for about 200 seconds before they can use it again.

Also, I haven't faced ultras yet, but I've seen on streams masters level terrans get so %#@#ed by ultras.

I'll still keep upgrades in mind. Normally with marine-tank, there's 3 upgrades to upgrade, so I get really confused with timings, and that's probably why I'm gold.

Thanks everyone for the help, I was completely clueless about this.
If you have tanks, don't even bother sieging them. Their assault mode DPS is way better, especially if you consider the ultra's size, the siege splash won't even hit the other ultras around them.
You have to already have enough units to handle them (a lot of Terrans don't seem to realize this...) and then you really need to get a positional advantage on them. Ultras in the open are really strong. Ultras caught in a choke, not so much. Pretty much like everything else TvZ. Don't engage in the open unless you're sporting serious fire power.
I was curious myself!

Post a replay so we can see exactly what happened.

Upgraded MM can deal with ultras no problem imo. Also if a zerg goes ultras you should of won. They are considered Armored Biological therefore counters are marauders, banshees, BC, and ghosts, lesser entent outranging with thor/tanks with marine support. Helions also make good shield for them to kill because they take two hits as a light vehicle.

[edit]

K here is a (DEMO REPLAY not a game)my bro and I made on a 200/200 for both of us 10 thors vs 10 ultras mixed armies both A attack though and he micros infestors as a DEMO ONLY! Un sieged tanks are more effective vs zerg as you can note. This map was selected because of the narrow area resbles which resembles him trying to attack the gold. The attack failes with better upgrades. Hense why terran should mech against zerg and win.

I was only 2/3 while his ultras were maxed! SO if you lose to ultras its your own fault I just made factory units.

http://www.sc2replayed.com/replay-videos/7800

The battle occurs at 21 min in after we arranged the conflict point.

Enjoy!

[edit]

I made no ghosts to deal with the infestors either.
Just follow what Halby does here and you will most likely destroy ultras.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ddbkMA5qQU&feature=channel_video_title
marauders
Yamoto cannon
Well I can't provide a replay, it's only just that I watched a few masters terran's streams, and they got so !!!@ed by ultras

thx ryosuki and genie, i'll check those out asap
You really shouldn't win if you let zerg get 3 bases and its in late game.

factory+vikes is risky since corrupters>>vikes and BL and ultras can tear up thors and tanks pretty easily.

mass snipes+unsieged tanks+thors?
07/02/2011 09:33 AMPosted by deathtrance
Yeah, but usually you won't have 0/3 upgrades on thors. Zerg will most of the time, have 3/3 with chitinous plating. So i would think ultras would kill thors. Then again, I used to be zerg and my terran opponent let me surround his thors with ultras :P

If you're massing Thors, you definitely should be able to keep up on upgrades with the Zerg.

I'll echo that marine / medivac is pretty good against Ultras. As long as you don't bunch up too much, it actually takes Ultras a while to chew through marines (you'll still want to try kiting to further minimize damage).
Well I can't provide a replay, it's only just that I watched a few masters terran's streams, and they got so !!!@ed by ultras

thx ryosuki and genie, i'll check those out asap

No problem! I tend to do alot of testing when i see interesting posts like this on the forums. If you noted most think that the units such as tanks and hellions would get devoured but really they don't. Find a friend to test units on and get more comfortable producing the correct unit builds.

Ryosuki.571 Now its time for bed since I just worked 14.5 hours ! yay

[edit]

I watch videos by halby as well and learned his macro drill to get get out of bronze. That video can be practiced in the game. If you do your challenges there is the opening gambit and you do fight ultras in the gauntlet. It could be a great time to practice some micro and snipe with ghosts.
marauder/medivac. you need to kite or fight at a choke.

if you have tank/marauder to fight them, then if they go for the tanks your marauders will DPS them down extremely fast. 500 resources for ultras is a lot.

thor are good. even a lot of them can be good. you just need to spread them a bit or fight at a choke.
DIdnt you know. Terran is supposed to win in Late game....... Zerg tech switches from infestor/Ultra to infestor/BL is to tough to beat maybe ghosts + boxer marine micro with tanks for the Ultra and ghosts/MArine/viking for the second.