SC2 needs a Scatter hotkey

General Discussion
Suggestion: Implement a scatter command. When you select a group of units and press "x," your units will spread away from each other.

Units ball up so much that it is really sometimes annoying. To get your units into a good spread formation requires needless micro, and when you move them they go right back to clumping together anyway.

A scatter key, kind of like in C&C, would make units spread away from each other.

It would aid in AOE spells, banelings, and all around army formation.

Although it would help mitigate baneling damage, the mechanics of the spread could be tweaked in such a way that you still get small clumps, maybe 2-3 units spreading away from other groups of 2-3. I would much rather though that individual units spread away from each other.
would be nice to have. anyone that needs to mitigate splash would use it all the time, and it would make u have to control ur colo/HT/ghost/(insert AoE) better... instead of just attacking...

play around w/ patrol command tho, that's how u spread against banes, slice, patrol, slice patrol...
I agree that SC2 game pathing is FAR too blobby. Not sure this is a good idea though. I'm all for all kinds of interface improvements, but this is asking the units to play the game for you. Many of the best moments in the GSL have been skilled marine splits.

What SHOULD definatly happen, is dynamic unit movement, a.k.a THIS:
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=223889

Look at the pictures. Which one looks like an army, and which one looks like a set of efficiently packed polygons?
¯\ _(ツ) _/¯

put it in customs game

It looks a bit better but from a gameplay point of view I can see this making small ramps cause issues as well as indirectly nerfing splash units which will throw off balance.
i'm pretty sure that blob groups, splash damage, and balance are all interrelated.

banelings would become useless if there was such a thing as "scatter". for me if you want to spread out your units, you should have to do it the old fashioned way. slice, click, slice, click.

protip: using the patrol button with marines causes them to naturally spread out a little bit. try the marine split challenge in custom games to see how effective it can be.
no scattering is part of what makes the game a game of skill, it'd be easier if i could just set all my buildings to auto produce too but that would get rid of skill

i mean basketball would be easier if i could carry the ball everywhere but then it wouldnn't be as skillfull a game
really? you have multiple building select, endless waypoints, autocast abilities, infinite unit keybinds, and AI for all your units. What micro is there left but positioning units? but now you want an auto scatter button? In my opinion i want more micro, i want more macro and it's all because i want to see a difference between good players and bad players. If you take the mechanics out of this game all you have is a glorified turn based game - not a real time strategy.
07/16/2011 10:06 AMPosted by TerminaL
really? you have multiple building select, endless waypoints, autocast abilities, infinite unit keybinds, and AI for all your units. What micro is there left but positioning units? but now you want an auto scatter button? In my opinion i want more micro, i want more macro and it's all because i want to see a difference between good players and bad players. If you take the mechanics out of this game all you have is a glorified turn based game - not a real time strategy.

I do somewhat agree in that unit AI would be going over the top, but multiple building select and unit keybinds are just simply updated technology that would just seem weird not to have in a rts these days.
it takes less than a minute to train a marine. they dont have the time to teach them how to move in organized formations. They are given a gun and told to go.

Zerglings were just born seconds ago. It is amazing that they are able to walk let alone run across the map. Thier intelligence in not their strong point. All they know is to rush and go.
Well noted. The micro required to spread units may be important, but honestly it is unnecessary. The micro of a battle should be unit targeting, spell casting, repositioning. Spreading out units still puts them in clumps. Drag and click takes too long, and wastes precious time.

A SC2 army vs army battle is over in seconds. You don't have time to realistically spread units effectively, before it is too late.

As well, scatter will mitigate much more AoE damage, increasing units lifespan and making battles longer, more entertaining, and allowing for much more micro. How do you micro units that die immediately once the battle begins? The clump armies of SC2 don't allow for proper unit micro in battles.

Unit spacing needs to be looked at, scatter is just one option.
The "X" scatter hotkey is already implemented for Banelings. You'll find bits of banelings in pools of acid scattered all over the area.
07/16/2011 08:18 PMPosted by Fourier
The "X" scatter hotkey is already implemented for Banelings. You'll find bits of banelings in pools of acid scattered all over the area.

Win.
The game should have an M key where I press it and it does all micro for me herp derp derpderp
07/16/2011 08:18 PMPosted by Fourier

Winning!

I do miss having a scatter hotkey from C&C. It wasn't nearly as useful in that game though because not many units did aoe damage. I usually just used i to spread my tanks out in my base so I didn't lose them all the a single super weapon.
blizzard plz remove all micro kk thx
Adding something like this in would completely change game balance. Marines, for one, would be crazy overpowered if you couldn't deal splash damage to them effectively. I imagine a similar problem would come up with roaches. All of the splash units would have to be heavily tweaked.
I think we received a good amount of AI and UI advancements already. This would take away from the game.