how is COD an e sport?

Off Topic Dicussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 10 Next
yeah its sad that multiplayer is whats more popular so it sells more. I think back to when there was mostly single player driven games and I wonder what happened, then I realize what happened. The internet. Now everything "has" to have multiplayer, ugh, im going to go play my snes.
I loved the days of PS2, just going through my copies of MGS3, Final Fantasy X, and Persona 3.

Now we got all this crap about some hippy cowboy trying to save his alien mutated girl with some panty-wearing warriors.
The criticism that the gaming industry is getting now, is the same criticism that movies got 70 years ago. It's new and most politicians are old. They are afraid of it. I have seen several studies and all of them show that crime has dropped by 30 percent since 1980. They all show exactly 30%, not average out to 30%. Meaning playing games is causing less kids to die. I would consider that good, I hope most other people would too.
The best fps's were halo 2 and halo 3. Reach was kinda dissapointing. COD is a joke of a game.
Do people really watch that trash for hours a day?
drop shots, aks, spawn grenades, and spraying through walls.

lawl.

Mass infestors, cannon rushes, 6 pools, marine marauders game after game, this game isn't much different.

How many pro games do you see this crap. Basically every blops match is filled with worthless garbage. Just like almost every starcraft match is filled with strategy. If you want a real shooter get TF2 that would be a good esport.
ok i HAD to get in this convo for as much as i love fps. i just want to say that

COUNTER STRIKE 1.6 WAS THE BEST FPS GAME EVER TO EXIST EVER. NO CONTEST.
1.5 and 1.3 were also pretty baller.

cs source is the biggest pile of !@#$ ever.
tf2 is a joke and tf1 was infinity times better.

and Battlefield3 is going to be the new best fps ever.
How the hell is ESPORTS considered an actual sport? Granted, it's only considered to be a sport by the most horrible scum on earth *cough* day9 for one *cough*, but this silly little chair sitting competition is not a sport, and hopefully never will be.

What saddens me, is that Americans are also starting to consider this a sport. I know that country has only gone downhill since rock 'n' roll hit it, and hit it hard, in the '50s, but this is a new low for their people. :(

This entire thread should be irrelevant and deleted. But, alas, the world is not perfect.

The '50s? Are you like !@#$ing 80?
08/01/2011 09:12 PMPosted by Milsberry
The best fps's were halo 2 and halo 3. Reach was kinda dissapointing. COD is a joke of a game.

I loved halo 2, I found halo 3 to be the disappointing one, and I really enjoy reach, my only beef with it is armor lock (all in terms of multiplayer gameplay) as far as story... halo 2 > halo 1 > halo 3 > reach
One aspect of gaming that I feel is interesting is that I think FPS players are just naturals, and its hard to 'learn' to be good in an FPS, you either are or aren't.

In RTS games, I feel like there is no limit because you can just learn how to play better. Like chess.
I really don't like the CoD games.

I think TF2 would be a much more interesting eSport if the game wasn't all about hats.
I really don't like the CoD games.

I think TF2 would be a much more interesting eSport if the game wasn't all about hats.

There is 6v6 competitive TF2.

Personally I think that they should go for Quake 3/Quake Live deathmatches.
All wallhacking and spawnkilling nowadays. I want to see these scrubs play me in CoD2 on the PC where you can't do any of that crap.
really dude .... shut it ... COD is Hard To master ..... Not as hard as Sc2 but Sc2 progamers are more famous
nothing wrong with cod. Support e-sports, that means ALL e-sports and don't bash on others. This kind of side taking with different video games is honestly the biggest thing holding back e-sports from becoming bigger.

we need to UNITE not fight each other. Games are games.
A few games with good stories that I thoroughly enjoyed:

Mass Effect.
Persona.
Final Fantasy (before 2002).
Fallout.
Fire Emblem.
Assassin's Creed.
Portal.

I think the industry has enough good story games. But I agree that we need more. The collection is slowly shrinking.

Good list, going to add MGS to it. ( i believe the ending of it was like 1.5 hours or so of movie deliciousness)
08/01/2011 09:01 PMPosted by Wosh
The criticism that the gaming industry is getting now, is the same criticism that movies got 70 years ago. It's new and most politicians are old. They are afraid of it. I have seen several studies and all of them show that crime has dropped by 30 percent since 1980. They all show exactly 30%, not average out to 30%. Meaning playing games is causing less kids to die. I would consider that good, I hope most other people would too.

I agree with your sentiment, but not your data. This is a ridiculous claim. There are things that have shaken our societal structure much more than video games that may have caused this shift. Take for example Roe V. Wade, 1973. Youngsters of the 80's are those born after this decision. Somehow this seems to dwarf video gaming as far as societal change. This is just one thing. To attribute the crime drop to video gaming alone is ludicrous.

Your statement is akin to saying that video gaming has led to the economic crash. A lot of things happen at the same time, that does not imply that one causes the other. I would simply say the old mantra "correlation does not imply causation." However your statement is so blanket that I would have to make it "concurrence does not imply causation."
counter-strike 1.6 is the best and will always be the best fps in e-sports history. nothing is more stategic or challenging than 1.6. all call of duties are s**t
if they had to have console games it could have at least been real competitive console games not a console FPS, like fighting game. COD BO and halo reach are not competitive games, they were only there because to bring in poeple and because so many poeple play them.
I think the biggest problem with watching esports, especially FPS, is because the camera angles are awful. The games are pretty good, but just imagine watching a football game and every camera is attached to a players head.

Even Starcraft could use some zoom out and rotation when being casted.

It would make the scene a lot more exciting if they had say 5 guys with no attack abilities in god mode within the arena space, armed with cameras all fed to a producer who picks the angles to show. Right now the commentators have to be the camera men.

Virtual Metlife snoopy blimp FTW!

Also, Imagine DAy[9] with a magic t.v. pen plotting strategy like John Madden.

And Last but not least, Replays and highlights from different angles before commercial breaks.

Comon Blizz, you know you wanna.

Also where are all the cool graphic overlays with a ludicrous amount of stats. Example: Idra has never beaten Huk 2-0 using infestors on Zel'naga. However he does use infestors 30.9% of of all games within the first 10 minutes. <--------Not Fact, Just made up to illustrate my point.
08/02/2011 02:27 AMPosted by iGOHAM
counter-strike 1.6 is the best and will always be the best fps in e-sports history. nothing is more stategic or challenging than 1.6. all call of duties are s**t

I like this guy