Weather Idea for Starcraft 2 Heart of Swarm

General Discussion
I was thinking it would be awesome if there were more weather options in the next installment of starcraft 2. Even in multiplayer if you could have random times of rainfall that slow terran units or lessen the sight of all buildings and units. I think there needs to be a little more luck involved with SC2. I think it would be awesome if when going on different planets there were weather patterns I have never imaged before. Like some acid rain or something that effects the efficiency of all units to be balanced, but at the same time changes the tactics used by all players when these night cycles or weather patterns hit the maps. Just an idea and im not saying this is how it should be done, but I think it would be cool if some weather patterns were added into mutiplayer and expanded in the campaign.

Thanks!
would definitely be pretty cool, but the effects need to be pretty minor.
Aesthetically, it could be nice.

If it affects balance though, then hell no.
All Zergs get +30% speed in the rain w00t.
I was thinking it would be awesome if there were more weather options in the next installment of starcraft 2. Even in multiplayer if you could have random times of rainfall that slow terran units or lessen the sight of all buildings and units. I think there needs to be a little more luck involved with SC2. I think it would be awesome if when going on different planets there were weather patterns I have never imaged before. Like some acid rain or something that effects the efficiency of all units to be balanced, but at the same time changes the tactics used by all players when these night cycles or weather patterns hit the maps. Just an idea and im not saying this is how it should be done, but I think it would be cool if some weather patterns were added into mutiplayer and expanded in the campaign.

Thanks!

Only during campaign please =)
09/10/2011 10:19 AMPosted by Voyager
I think there needs to be a little more luck involved with SC2.

Stopped reading. The point of playing an RTS and being a pro is because you're good. Not because you're lucky. Weather would only be cool is if was just visual, without an effect on the game, plus, most pros would likely turn it off to avoid lag and distracting noises.
As those above have said, in multiplayer if it's just for aesthetics then it would be ok, and pretty cool. Having it affect balance would belong much better in the campaign.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great idea and I'd be completely for it if it was done correctly. If the weather affected balance through minor ways, like through unit efficiency, movement speed, and sight range, then it wouldn't be that hard to do. However, most people, Blizzard included, would be scared of seeing it in the game. It's too "out of the box" for most traditional RTS and Starcraft fans. That sentiment isn't without reason though. There are balance concerns in the game currently without weather effects, so adding something that affects balance on top of the current balance troubles would only exacerbate those concerns, whether they were perceived or real. In essence, SC2 is already difficult to balance, so why add more complexity and make it more difficult to balance?

In any case, I believe weather effects and more environmental factors that affect balance (more than just high ground) would be a step in the right direction for SC2, and RTS games in general. They are "strategy" games after all. The more complexity there is the more complex, diverse, and numerous the strategies and tactics become. If done properly it would only add to the game, and the genre. If done properly it could be balanced. If done properly, and most importantly, I think it would be pretty darn fun.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Lost Temple have rain? It's barely visible and doesn't do anything though.