Skill

General Discussion
1 2 3 11 Next
What modern game out there requires as much skill as SC2? (any genre)
Bad question due to "Different games require different skills" Cognitive skills, hand eye coordination, critical thinking, dexterity, problem solving, focused attention...Some games only need one of these skills...Some require more.
I used to play Call of Duty competitively before the current version. Now, SC2 dominates my time (and I don't miss COD).

Certain play modes require significant skill to do well, specifically the ones that do not let you respawn... 1 life matters or you are waiting 5 minutes until the 'match' is up. Also add Hardcore mode (must use iron sights to aim well). Search and Destroy team mode is this 'tactical' mode that requires skill, unlike the other 95% of players that like to play FPS where they die and respawn every 30 seconds.
09/30/2011 12:04 PMPosted by Technodynamc
Certain play modes require significant skill to do well, specifically the ones that do not let you respawn... 1 life matters or you are waiting 5 minutes until the 'match' is up.

I find that SnD takes less skill. All you have to do is remember flank paths for every map, and you can shoot all the camping noobs in the back. If you play MLG, radar always on is a joke, but otherwise, it's boring campyness for me. I like Headquarters, that takes the most skill IMO.
Well, it depends.

SC2 requires quite a bit of skill to just win ONE game on the ladder. The jump between single player/casual or with just your noob friends to going on the ladder is just gigantic.

Compare this to Call of Duty, where you can at least win games and possibly contribute to your team's goal with little actual skill.

Something like League of Legends would be in between, where your individual skill matters, but you can still win SOME games while you are brand new.

However, if the question is for the top players, I just really don't think there's any other game. Maybe other strategy games (I don't play them, though). I really doubt League of Legends is, though.

But heck, what do I know?
SCBW requires more skill, i think
-unit selection limited to 12
-clumsy pathfinding
-no queue on research facilities
-map has to be explored

if you're just talking about RTSs, it varies a lot

some of them focus more on economy (supcom, i think)
some on combat (cnc3)
some are all about combat (cnc4)
some are more strategy-based (ruse?)
09/30/2011 12:04 PMPosted by Gild
I think it is a good question. I'd say that any sort of sport requires more skill than sc2.

You are in bronze. You have no idea what you are talking about. This game is balls hard.

To be good at it, you need to put just as much time into it as athletes do at sports.
Battlefield: Bad Company 2

There's a catch, you're only allowed to knoife. Go on a good old knoifin spree, collect some dog tags from level 50's. You must become one with the shadows. Knoife.
I hear supreme commander is very micro intensive (after all, TLO used to play it).

CSS takes some pretty serious skills

Warcraft 3 has some aspect that require a lot of control and strategy that SC doesn't have (i.e. hunting down creeps, buying upgrades, etc).

Don't know if any of these necessarily take MORE skill than sc2 though, a very debatable topic.
Bloodline Champions
SCBW requires more skill, i think
-unit selection limited to 12
-clumsy pathfinding
-no queue on research facilities
-map has to be explored

Wrong.

Warcraft II (the original), way more skill than this so-called hardcore BW:

-9 unit selection
-NO CONTROL GROUPS
-NO ATTACK MOVE
-NO SHIFT COMMANDS
-NO queuing ANY units/buildings
-Retarded pathfinding
-Bloodlust

Those of you saying SC1 ain't seen nothin' yet!
Fighting and Shooter games require more skill as they tend to have fewer factors. In order to beat the other guy 80% of the time, you have to be better than him 80% of the time.

This game has many factors that go into victory, namely skill but others influence the game as well. Like which race you pick...and the benefits of that race...

just because it lacks features, or has inconvinient features, does not mean the game requires more skill, it means you have to spend more time doing the same things you can get done in 1/4 the time in sc2
09/30/2011 02:03 PMPosted by Revan
This game has many factors that go into victory, namely skill but others influence the game as well. Like which race you pick...and the benefits of that race..

haha, what that a poke at sc2 being inbalanced? :P
Posted by Gild
I think it is a good question. I'd say that any sort of sport requires more skill than sc2.

You are in bronze. You have no idea what you are talking about. This game is balls hard.

To be good at it, you need to put just as much time into it as athletes do at sports.

ahh but hes talking about skill not the time one puts into the game. Yes this game is hard, but it's very difficult to compare a sport to a video game; it's just a different set of skills. No one can say which is harder, because everyone approaches things differently, and will be more naturally talented at one or the other, which introduces bias.