Skill

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 11 Next
that's a good question but it really depends how you define skill. If I pick up an xbox controller and play call of duty when I've been playing FPS all my life, there's not much to learn short of a few extra buttons and skills/perks unique to the game.

SC you kinda have to know a lot to be good and the odds are even if you've played similar games in the past you won't be very high ranked until you've learned a few build orders and what units do what/counters.

So point is, pick up any FPS game and skill will be pretty apparently. Pick up SC you're going to be in bronze/silver even if you're a skilled player if you've never even heard of it.
Call of Duty... do you guys know how hard it is to 360 no scope and shoot someones head off for 50 points from across the whole battlefield?
The concept of the game is to beat a WHOLE OTHER TEAM.
Right from the start you have to take tactical positions and set yourself up for a big fight.
Outside of sniping, you need fast reaction times and strategic decision making to get ahead.
Let's say killstreaks, you need to beat multiple other people without dieing yourself!!
Like big fights, you have to be careful and take cover, making sure to defend yourself when needed.
I think that CoD is MUCH harder than SC2...
No one in SC2 could beat anyone in CoD, not even a new player.
Go ahead and !@#$%, but facts are facts.
SC you kinda have to know a lot to be good and the odds are even if you've played similar games in the past you won't be very high ranked until you've learned a few build orders and what units do what/counters.

So point is, pick up any FPS game and skill will be pretty apparently. Pick up SC you're going to be in bronze/silver even if you're a skilled player if you've never even heard of it.

That is just not true, are you saying that every single person who plays sc2 starts out in bronze/silver league? my 1v1 ladder started off in gold and went into plat after 10 games, and that's when the game launched.

And just for the sake of argument, I can't do proper aerial combos fighting immobile dummies in training mode. In any fighting game.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion but don't you think you got gold when the game was first released because the player base was just as trashy as you at the time? (not meant as an insult).

I was actually high diamond when the game was first released but I also played BW. Now I'm gold unfortunately but I blame that to lack of playing and that the player base is getting better and better. Diamond league back when the game was first released is essentially now the new platinum in my opinion.

Now for the sake of argument I don't see why a skillful person couldn't place in Gold league, but don't kid yourself I wouldn't consider anybody currently in gold that skillful, and that's coming from a guy who's top 8 in gold :P.
SCBW requires more skill, i think
-unit selection limited to 12
-clumsy pathfinding
-no queue on research facilities
-map has to be explored

Wrong.

Warcraft II (the original), way more skill than this so-called hardcore BW:

-9 unit selection
-NO CONTROL GROUPS
-NO ATTACK MOVE
-NO SHIFT COMMANDS
-NO queuing ANY units/buildings
-Retarded pathfinding
-Bloodlust

Those of you saying SC1 ain't seen nothin' yet!

The thing is, WC2 isn't balanced, thats why there was really no competitive scene for it.

Broodwar required more skill than SC2.

Before sc2 came out i played SSF4 alot. In terms of skill, I would say BW > SC2 > SSF4.
Battletoads
[quote]
it takes 4-1 to get into gold you retard, 5-0 gets you into plat.

w/e you're right, diamond is probably c- in iccup.

for such an angry person, you should get your facts straight. I went 4-1 and got platinum; perfect score is diamond.
I think it is a good question. I'd say that any sort of sport requires more skill than sc2.

You are in bronze. You have no idea what you are talking about. This game is balls hard.

To be good at it, you need to put just as much time into it as athletes do at sports.

more time, athletes cant train 10 hours a day and they dont spend their entire time thinking and reflecting about the game

thinking about it, quake i suppose would be the only game were i have the impression that it can be as deep as SC2 if we exclude BW since SC1 came out 1998

no there's no placement into diamond, just like no placement into masters now.

i went 5-0 in placements and got diamond
I think this is an extremely difficult question to answer. Each game takes a lot of skill in its own right. I grew up playing fighting games and FPS games competitively. I played all the Tekkens most of the Streetfighters, most of the MK’s and Killer Instinct to name a few. I’ve played Quake, COD, Doom, Pain User, UT99, UT2003, UT2004, and the dreaded UT3 (disaster), and I’m sure I’m missing a few in between. This is actually my first RTS game.

You can certainly argue that in FPS and fighting games there are less variables, but I find that these types of games are more to do with hand eye coordination more than anything. You have to have an ability to react and react quickly. That’s not to say that there isn’t some sort of thinking involved. That’s not the case. Though I do think that the level of thinking required is vastly different than that of a RTS game.

In something like Tekken I find it’s about timing and acting quick enough to take advantage of those little windows of opportunity. Whether he punches and you block, or he punches and you counter. You visibly see a window and you react to it. It’s also necessary to memorize both mentally and physically what exactly you need to do when x happens. These are similar things you would do in SC2, but there is a whole new level of thinking involved. You find yourself running through a series of questions, because there are so many variables. It’s like chess you have to go through all the variables in your head before making the right move. What is he doing? What sort of build? What should I build? Is he expanding? How many expansions? What unit composition? Then there are tactical questions that you might ask. Should I do a two pronged attack. Is he out of place? What base should I attack? Can I split his army? There are these never ending series of questions that go through your head all the while maintaining the ability to consistently macro, never get supply blocked and constantly watch your minimap for attacks. This takes a serious multi-tasking component that only ADHD people can manage to pull off…lol

They all take an extreme amount of skill especially at the upper levels, but now that I have thought about it and was originally thinking that they both were equally tough in their own right. I am now of the opinion that RTS games are probably the most demanding both physically and mentally than any other genre.
09/30/2011 11:58 AMPosted by Pluto
What modern game out there requires as much skill as SC2? (any genre)

The board game Go