Skill

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 11 Next
09/30/2011 02:18 PMPosted by gitah
If you say so!

athletes have a 6 hours workout period a day, sc2 pro koerans plays >12 hours a day

Yeah but athletes have also practiced/trained/worked out/studied since they were probably 10 or 11 or even younger (basically as soon as they could watch their specific sport and understand it). Even if some of the sc2 pros go all the way back to the very first RTS (was it that Dune game? or CnC 1?)and count that as practice, they still haven't put in as much time as most pro athletes.

Also factor in the amount of people attempting to be good at sports compared to the number of people attempting to be good at sc2. Just via the shear number of people that get weeded out between middle-school football to the pros lead to a much higher skill being needed to make it and therefore higher skill needed to compete at pro lvls.

Also if anyone seriously believes that koreans practice 12 hours a day every day you are pretty naive. There have to be breaks taken even if for playing/waiting to play tournaments. Not to mention eating sleeping bathroom exercise and some leisure time.
Command and Conquer games don't take the most skill, but they're still pretty cool...
SCBW requires more skill, i think
-unit selection limited to 12
-clumsy pathfinding
-no queue on research facilities
-map has to be explored
That's difficulty generated largely via a HORRID interface.
09/30/2011 03:49 PMPosted by Daniel
Command and Conquer games don't take the most skill, but they're still pretty cool...
truth

except, of course, for C&C4. That one is horrible.
09/30/2011 02:18 PMPosted by gitah
If you say so!

athletes have a 6 hours workout period a day, sc2 pro koerans plays >12 hours a day

Says who? There are professional athletes that train for 10 hours a day. If you count mental as well as physical training (watching and analyzing), it's often even more. I don't know about you, but I can also play a game for a lot longer than I can push my body to brink of exhaustion over and over.
09/30/2011 03:18 PMPosted by AlCapwn
Hard mode Tetris ?

not even close to battletoads turbo tunnel

not even close to i wanna be the guy

for such an angry person, you should get your facts straight. I went 4-1 and got platinum; perfect score is diamond.

no there's no placement into diamond, just like no placement into masters now.

really? me and my friend got straight into diamond 2v2, though its probably different for 1v1.

OP: Different games take different skills. SC2 is all about YOU so its probably the hardest game that has come out recently. Games like LoL, Halo, and CoD take different skills that individually may not be as hard, but lets be honest, getting 5 people to work together perfectly is really hard to do, regardless of the game. Imagine if SC2 was a 3v3 game where one person builds units, one micros them, and one scouts. Getting them to work together is really hard to do and takes teamwork - weird example but whatever it works.
It takes a lot more skill to play a sport at a high level just due to your own body's limitations and how much stress it can handle.

Then add on strategies, team cooperation and a lot of other factors.

most who says otherwise I bet have probably never played a sport at a high level.
It seems like for the most part, the amount of skill a competitive game requires, depends on the skill of the competition. That is, as long as a game isn't too easy to master.
I think SC is probably the hardest multiplayer video game out at the moment.

SC is the only game (that I know of) where your are the only thing keeping you alive; not your friends, not creeps, but you. You are the only person responsible for your loss/win, and the individual skill required of a player to win is far superior to the skill of someone in a team based game.
hardest game?

I wanna be the guy, kazio mario without dieing blind run, and the japanese board game GO
Yeah but athletes have also practiced/trained/worked out/studied since they were probably 10 or 11 or even younger (basically as soon as they could watch their specific sport and understand it)...

The reason why a pro gamer can practice more than a professional athlete is due to athletics actually being physically intensive where as being a pro gamer require only functioning hands on the physical scale.

The OP's question is impossible to answer because many different games require many different skills and different degrees of skill for each individual skill required. Are they all equally valuable or are some weighted more than others? What about skills that aren't required but benefit in other ways to the game? The original statement is so simple but the actual question is infinitely more complex.

I predict the thread will devolve into a "which game is better" flame war eventually.
I used to play Call of Duty competitively before the current version. Now, SC2 dominates my time (and I don't miss COD).

hell ya and cod requires NO skill

I hate getting shot at, when I was young I had a soccer ball smash into my face, I think that is the reason why:
A.) I can't play soccer anymore, I get really really really psyched out when balls come towards me,

I broke my hand blocking a cherry bomb in 4 square in first grade. L2P

(I'm just teasin' :3)
This is too broad of a question I believe, for example FPSs and fighting games require some insane reaction times, and while it is important for Starcraft it is not nearly as critical to your success. Another skill is the ability to work in and as a team, games like LoL and some FPS game modes require you to work well as a team, whereas starcraft is extremely independent, teams in Starcraft are just for individuals to discuss and play against (rather than with) each other. On the other end though, Starcraft is probably the biggest multitasking oriented game and definitely up there in terms of intellectual capabilities/strategy. Also from what I have seen it is a game that requires much more of a time commitment to play competently, picking up this game for your first time you are going to get mauled (and probably for your next like 10 games too) and the skill gap between a new player to an experienced player to a pro is just enormous. Of course in every game there is going to be a big skill gap between new players and pros but I have never seen a gap as big as the one existent in Starcraft. In starcraft to play at a respectable (like plat-diamond) level requires significant game knowledge, likely time spent studying the game (watching pro replays or casters like day9) and a good amount of actual playing time to get your mechanics up.
Wrong.

Warcraft II (the original), way more skill than this so-called hardcore BW:

-9 unit selection
-NO CONTROL GROUPS
-NO ATTACK MOVE
-NO SHIFT COMMANDS
-NO queuing ANY units/buildings
-Retarded pathfinding
-Bloodlust

Those of you saying SC1 ain't seen nothin' yet!

does that make scbw easier than sc2??
i just said why i think scbw is harder than sc2...