How to get over the fear of laddering

Zerg Discussion
I dont feel like a bronze league player altho it was the bracket i was placed into when i just got the game a couple months ago and the overwhelming fear of playing 1v1 ladder games kinda keeps me from getting further then rank 1 in bronze. I spend most of my time doing gold 3v3 and do very very well.I know i could deffinitly be a gold 1v1 player i just find 1v1 so intense and sstressful that it scares the hell out of me lol. Is there anyone with adivice or have gone thru this themselves?
I used to get very nervous during the middle of 1vs1 when I was bronze, I find that the things that helped me overcome my fear were:
1. Listen to music, the countdown timer still annoys me to these days but I guess it goes away with time...
2. Just play, seriously, I was so scared of losing 1vs1 so I never played them but as you keep playing and losing, you'll notice its not as bad, you'll just shrug it off and keep playing
3. If it gets to the point where to have to force yourself to play, just remember, even though 1vs1 are stressful, its damn fun and entertaining, not many games give you the intensity of 1vs1.
4. play to have fun, you'll realize ladder means nothing except for ego stroking....
i used to be nervous playing ladder because I didnt want to lose. THen i said !@#$ it i just want to have fun and enjoy the game it made playing so much easier
10/17/2011 06:04 AMPosted by TheJoKeR
i used to be nervous playing ladder because I didnt want to lose. THen i said !@#$ it i just want to have fun and enjoy the game it made playing so much easier

Maybe I should do this. I find myself clicking around on the forums, spending more time reading posts than playing.
Who cares if you lose just have fun and play the game. If you get frustrated cheese it takes the edge off. You dont have to play crazy long macro games every single game.

Nothings funner than baneling busting a Terran after being marine scv all ind
I still get really nervous 1v1. I hit #1 Silver and didn't want to loose it. Apparently, someone else wanted it more so they took over and got a huge lead. I have to get a 7 game winning streak to take #1 back...

With that said, the best thing I can do is realize that I'm SUPPOSED to be winning 50%. Expect to lose. That's how MMR works for most the ladder. Also, I've notice the more nervous I get the worst I play. I make a lot of mistakes like building the wrong units, not getting enough drones, panicking and overbuilding my army... Even stupid stuff like misclicking rally points will really hurt your game.
In the end, just playing games over and over got most of the nervousness I had originally experienced out of my system for good, though I still get a bit of adrenaline. I went 0-5 and was placed in bronze, so I was in your boat.

I'm only in Platinum now so I don't know how masters and GM feel, but if I screw up some games, I know that I can bounce back to platinum eventually because I didn't get there by luck; I'm a platinum player.

I say this because I'll completely throw games in the name of our Lord, Day[9], and his asinine Funday Mondays. Or, I'll randomly decide I'll be Catz and expand to my opponent's natural. I have fun with it, and in the end, I'm not worried about rank. Not because I don't care, but because I know I can get back there if something happens, and if I can't, well maybe I didn't belong in Platinum just yet.

tl;dr: Don't worry about rank, just play the game, learn the game, and enjoy the game. Rank comes naturally.
Yeah, totally agreed with countbadass. Your biggest enemy is your own shame. You don't want to lose your gold rank that you have in 3v3. But just realize that you aren't at that level yet in 1v1. There is nothing to prove to anyone.

On the bright side of that, there was one weekend where I was really tired and took a nose dive on ladder. I started losing to gold players with timings I wasn't used to. But then I said screw this, I'm not gonna stop laddering until I'm facing plats again. The same timings were pathetic after that, cause I realized that I'm a platinum player, and that's where I belong. I saw their strat coming like 100 miles away.

So yeah, don't be worried about losing, and don't worry trying to be better than your rank. The only way to really learn is first hand experience. Losing gives you twice as much experience as winning does, cause you're just learning one more thing you can stop.
Learn to lose. Makes playing the game significantly easier...
http://tinyurl.com/43k9m8d
Totally agree with Joker and Countbadass. Keep it positive and remember being demoted isn't a big deal. You'll get back to where you belong. You can also use rage to help you (seriously).

I find if I go several days without laddering, I become anxious about it. I sort of lose that 'killer instinct' (which is fueled by zerg rage), and even my gameplay is passive and scared. I'll sit in my base and die lol. My zerglings aren't half as mobile etc etc.

Then after an hour or so of being 2 rax punched to the face and deathballed, the zerg rage comes out. This may trigger some all-in, messed up 1 base play from me. But somewhere in between having fun, trying to piss off the other player, and raging out.. The anxiousness goes away.

The truth is we all have our own ways of conquering it. We may not be able to give you an exact answer, but we can tell you for sure - It does go away. And come back. And go away lol.
stop taking the game so seriously.. remember you're doing this for fun, not to impress anyone, including yourself.. and always, always remember, especially when laddering,t hat you WILL LOSE HALF YOUR GAMES.. once you've accepted that, you can start forgetting about losing and enjoying yourself and the game..

a good way to get your mind "on the game" is to give yourself divergent, ambiguous "goals", instead of sticking to a build order or anything real strictly (this is what daynine suggests).. for example:

if you're zerg, your goal for 10 games is to always fast expand and try to get to a 200/200 army as fast as possible, with at least 1-1 ups, before attacking.. or, do the opposite, always bling bust regardless of situation..

or if you're terran, try a crazy CC first build for 10 games.. same with Protoss..

dude, since you're in bronze, trust me, the more unorthodox you play, the less pressure you put on yourself, the more fun and WINS you'll have.. that's just how (honestly) diamond and below works, and even higher once you get your mechanics perfect..

gl
I tell myself that I'm HuK and knowing that I am Top3 control, I can play without being nervous. :)
One word: Scouting

I used to have this feeling too. It will go away in due time, and it really comes from not fully understanding what possibly could come from the opponent, which can be found out through scouting.

Worried about proxy gates, or a 6 pool, or a proxy two rax? I'm never worry about those anymore because I scout, and know what to look for. If I send out my scout, and come into his base, and he doesn't have any production buildings, I know I'm being cheesed, and can send my drone home, not fast expand, and prepare some base defense. If I spot the 6 pool, I have no problem stopping it.

It's the fear of the unknown that you have. No only get better at what I spoke about above, but in the actual game, make sure you have good vision and map awareness. No big push should be able to come across the map without you seeing it.
One word: Scouting

I used to have this feeling too. It will go away in due time, and it really comes from not fully understanding what possibly could come from the opponent, which can be found out through scouting.

Worried about proxy gates, or a 6 pool, or a proxy two rax? I'm never worry about those anymore because I scout, and know what to look for. If I send out my scout, and come into his base, and he doesn't have any production buildings, I know I'm being cheesed, and can send my drone home, not fast expand, and prepare some base defense. If I spot the 6 pool, I have no problem stopping it.

It's the fear of the unknown that you have. No only get better at what I spoke about above, but in the actual game, make sure you have good vision and map awareness. No big push should be able to come across the map without you seeing it.

You are spot on but IMHO this guy just needs the experiences of BEING cheesed a bunch more times before he can really learn to scout. Eventually you learn a sense of timings and unit/building counts that can only come from experience, and that means just go play the game and have fun at it, man.
destiny said to turn fear into knowledge.
I'm in Plat and I'm still scared. Look. Right now, I'm going to log on and for the first time in weeks, if not months, I will queue up and load a match.

"Just do it."
-Nike
Just do it. I also went 0-5 and got placed in bronze. You can't survive people trying to kill you until you lose to it and know next time what they're trying to do to you.

You should win about 1/2 your games in the long run, so you should just go for it.