Protoss gets two flying anti-air units!

General Discussion
Yay! Ok, of course not yay. Now Protoss has the Phoenix, which is now next to useless as one of it's only benefits (countering Mutas) has been subsumed by the tempest. And the Temepest, which appears to do almost everything the Phoenix was meant to do but better.

Toss has also lost it's 2 big flyers, the admittedly worthless carrier (at least worthless for anyone above Silver) and the Mothership, which seemed to have almost gotten useful after the patch.

At least, get rid of the Phoenix and give Toss a big, bruising flyer for the endgame like Brood Lords and Battlecruisers.
The tempest definitely counters the mutas better. but, i doubt it has the mobility/harrass ability of a pheonix.
SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN MAN
although protoss would then have troubles with early mass air since the tempest is expensive.
Phoenix isnt even that good against Mutas unless you get a lot of them. Their main role is early game harrassment.
Yay! Ok, of course not yay. Now Protoss has the Phoenix, which is now next to useless as one of it's only benefits (countering Mutas) has been subsumed by the tempest. And the Temepest, which appears to do almost everything the Phoenix was meant to do but better.

Toss has also lost it's 2 big flyers, the admittedly worthless carrier (at least worthless for anyone above Silver) and the Mothership, which seemed to have almost gotten useful after the patch.

At least, get rid of the Phoenix and give Toss a big, bruising flyer for the endgame like Brood Lords and Battlecruisers.

Your right Tomb! Nothing can defeat this logic. Sad indeed, I wouldn't buy HotS at all if I was you.

Oh, btw Tomb, since you are an expert, you mind giving me the ground stats for the Tempest as well as the CD? Is it a single fire or double?

Answer that please.
My concern is that the Tempest ground attack is going to be terrible, making it a purely situational unit. I really hope that will not be the case.

In its current form it apparently *!@%s pretty much all massed air. That seems like a great and extremely useful unit to me. If you added a nasty anti ground attack to it, you're getting into problematic territory. If it can't be attacked effectively from the air, I would hope it would be weak to ground units.

I suspect that you are going to buy it to deal with air. The ground attack will probably be no more than a small additional perk. All units in the game are situational to some extent. Something that is very strong against all air seems no more "overly situational" or "niche" than most of the other units in the game.
Phenoix with voidray vs zerg will still be strong methinks.
In all likelihood the tempest is going to require a fleet beacon, so the phoenix will still have a role as an early game air superiority unit.

My concern is that the Tempest ground attack is going to be terrible, making it a purely situational unit. I really hope that will not be the case.

If it's a Tier 4 unit it better kick all sorts of !@#$, killing off Corruptors, Battlecruisers, and Brood Lords as well as just Mutas and Dropships.

But it doesn't sound like it. I'd assume the Oracle would be a Fleet Beacon unit, but that means it only has 1 use, and that's for a harass unit. Which honestly sounds better as a Tier 3 since harass is better suited to the early and mid game.

Anyway, it sounds to me like they're going to make more changes anyway.
Aah air tech. Invest and die to cloak or ground, or tech switch once you've already won ^_^
zergs can probably just MAGIC BOX tempest so you probably still need stalker support.