DT: Perfect Darkness

Protoss Discussion
1 2 3 12 Next
Highly Rated
I'm going to be quick explaining this one.

Dark Templar ability
"Perfect Darkness"
- Duration: short (5-10sec)
- Cooldown: moderate (30sec-1min)
- Effect: The Dark Templar can not be detected, attack, or be attacked, and can move freely.
- Why: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It just seemed cool. It adds a second tier of uber cloak(phasing?), which works even in the middle of detectors! This lets DTs close with the enemy or escape from battle, even in the worst of conditions.
it also makes them unkillable... park a DT in their base and they can never leave again
Badloss
it also ma

11/06/2011 06:22 PMPosted by Bobucles
- Duration: short (5-10sec)

11/06/2011 06:22 PMPosted by Bobucles
- Effect: The Dark Templar can not be detected, attack, or be attacked, and can move freely.

... not OP, just interesting.
11/06/2011 06:51 PMPosted by Badloss
it also makes them unkillable... park a DT in their base and they can never leave again

I think the 5-10 sec duration fixes that before it was even a problem.

I can see this power being useful for both harassment and sneaking past the front line to get to the casters and long ranged units in the back of packs.

all in all its just a slower blink. Not that that is a bad thing per-say.
Interesting concept...
So for 5-10 seconds they are in effect invisible but cannot attack.

I actually like it.
Allows us to get into bases easier.
Allows us to snipe key units safer.
Allows the DT to perform it's role even better then it currently can.

The only problem I have with this is when you fall back your army to deal with the DT they can simply use this ability and run. Making DT harassment 80% safer.

Of course what I just suggested is negated mostly by cannons/other static D. Preferably more then 1 cannon.
I like it! +1
Actually it sounds awsome i used to make dark templar harassment in team play, if this happens I might return to the dark templars (:
My point was, you pull back your army to deal with DTs, they use this ability and vanish. The second you push back out, they run back in again. Repeat ad infinitum. This scales up disastrously, too. If you make 10 DTs and use this to sneak up on missile turrets/cannons etc, you can wipe out their detection and smash their worker lines before they have time to react.

It sounds totally awesome... which is why it's probably a bad idea :P

DTs are already going to be pretty nasty with the nexus recall in hots, this spell would give them the ability to super-cloak past defenses, kill all their workers, and then recall home when the army arrives.
Ok of course we would all like this, but is it balanced?
10 seconds is a very long time for a harassing unit, especially since the DT has pretty high damage. Warping in 3 or 4 in an enemy base and then using the ability is pretty much an auto-snipe on any tech building the Protoss player wants.

Also, it almost completely negates the benefits of scouting. You scout like you should and you figure out your opponent is going DTs, so you build detection and the DTs come in and kill stuff anyways.

Last one is 10 seconds is plenty of time to snipe any detection on the ground (Turrets, Cannons, Spores), so once the ability wears off the defending player can't see the DTs anyways. It would also allow the Protoss to dodge Scans against Terran fairly easily and, seeing as DTs are faster than Overseers and Observers, it would also be a problem in the other matchups.
Yo ballsofstupid did you even read the OP, THE DT CAN'T ATTACK WHEN YOU USES THE ABILITY
11/06/2011 08:24 PMPosted by Foxx
Yo ballsofstupid did you even read the OP, THE DT CAN'T ATTACK WHEN YOU USES THE ABILITY

Yo Cpt. Douchebag, no reason to start calling names. I didn't see the part about not being able to attack. Even still, it would still make the DT too durable in each matchup. As soon as detection shows up, the DT could use the ability and escape without being killed. Once the opponent goes overboard on detection for each base, the DTs would combine to make Archons and continue to be useful, unlike the enemy's detectors.
I think youre headed in the right direction for the kind of ability Dark Templar need. But giving them 100% invulnerability is not a good idea.
I actually like this idea a lot. Removing the DT's ability to attack during the time the effect is active is a good idea, it turns the DT into a true stealth unit. The question then becomes, what duration would be appropriate? How effective should detectors be against it?

What I mean is, say an opponent has bunkered his natural and has a turret sitting right there. Should the cloaking effect be long enough that the DT can sneak past the turret from one end of detection range to the next unhindered, or is that too far to be balanced? If the opponent is investing in detection, he should have a right to be able to spot a DT who's staying that long in detection range.

But if the duration is too short, the DT won't be able to get away from a mobile detector. Or is that intended? I can see a Protoss using Perfect Darkness, then splitting his DTs separate ways to minimize loss, but not getting away from two overseers and a bunch of zerglings.

Overall I love the idea though. It's very interesting and sounds fun to use while not being too strong.
Rather than this suggestion, I prefer adapting their fellow Stalkers the "Blink Ability"
Whats the cooldown 30s-1m?
Ok of course we would all like this, but is it balanced?
Lol I dunno. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ The DT is an expensive and fragile "Assassin" unit. Unfortunately, they stop being an assassin the moment they're detected! This lets the DT be a very slippery unit that can deal damage and live to do it again, or slip behind an enemy's death ball to wreak havoc. The DT may get a "free" kill on one spore/turret, but with the ability on cooldown it will be hard pressed to kill more.

Keep in mind that all three races have flying detectors that the DT can not touch. Zerg has the Overseer (soon to be Viper), Protoss has observers, and Terran has both Scan+Raven. So it's impossible for the DT to destroy all enemy detection.
DTs are already going to be pretty nasty with the nexus recall in hots,
Recall is its own can of worms. It's not fair (for the units) to hold back every single unit because of one ability. Besides, there are some good solutions out there to make Recall family friendly.
But giving them 100% invulnerability is not a good idea.
What good is a ninja without his smoke bombs? :)

If you want to discuss something OP, I've been toying with the idea of making the DT completely invisible to the opponent during the ability. No ripple effect, no nothing. If the thought of space ninjas popping out of nothing to kill your casters doesn't make you panic, not much else will.
This is actually a pretty interesting idea. I like the concept, the numbers can always be tweaked for balance, but it helps solve some of our harassment, definitely has a cool factor, and improves upon their niche. Plus an upgrade on the (why did they make this?) dark shrine would be something nice to see. I like the improved assasin mentality. Burrowed banelings moving are a scary thought, but so are stealthed assasins :)

As far as numbers, I think a minute cd is fair. Anything less is too punishing for leaving your base. I kind of like the well we got away, but you have a minute to stop us from doing it again, but we're still alive heh ;) As far as length, just shy of on an end to end detection radius. That way they cant completely negate it, but they are just in it for a second or two. The sheer paranoia of seeing a blip on your minimap is amazing.