Do not allow others to unpause

General Discussion
Pause without asking= immediate unpause

Ask first= I'll wait a minute, anything longer you should take care of between games and u deserve to lose

Ask first= I'll wait a minute, anything longer you should take care of between games and u deserve to lose

This
That would cause more problems than it would solve.
A more serious suggestion:

Require both players to agree before Pausing.

When you hit Pause, a message pops up for the other players "JOEBOB would like to pause the game, do you agree?" and if you agree, you can also hit pause. Maybe there could be a little yes/no box in the corner of the screen.

Once all the players agree, the game will pause.

This is actually a good idea. Then maybe set a time limit to 1~2 min?

this actually makes a lot of sense. make it so that all players must agree to pause and to unpause the game. set it to a timer for like 1-2 mins with an option to increase to more or infinite in case ur in a game with a friend and want to pause to eat. i see no downside to this. this way you can pause and if the other player is civil he will agree and u dont have to worry about him unpausing and bc both have to agree to unpause neither player will be caught off guard by a sudden unpause.
If I have to pause I usually politely ask and explain why. If they're gracious enough to allow me a reprieve, I thank them and take it, if not, I'm prepared to wait it out or accept falling way behind dealing with w/e it is. Like people are saying, be ready to devote at least half an hour a game, if something important comes up, weigh which means more, and I don't want to deal with BM'ing children wasting even 10 sec of my life pausing bc they're losing. It completely throws off any flow you may have had
I don't mind waiting for someone if they ask, but i don't want to be forced to wait. There are too many jackasses in this game.

This, but I'll go ahead and wait the 2 minutes for pause timer. Sometimes there are random things that come up. Like if someone is at the door. If I'm playing a game and the doorbell rings, I'd hope the person gives me 2 damn minutes for me to take care of it. Not like it happens all the time (has never happened to me).

If you pause TWICE in a game you better have a seriousely good reason. The second pause I'm only giving a minute.

Third pause, I'll tell you it's fine. Then I'll unpause after about 30 seconds (to make sure they are doing whatever they need to do and not at the computer) and kill them.
If you pause the game when your playing me expect and instant un-pause nothing you can tell me will change my mind. There really shouldn't be a pause option during ladder games any other unrated game pause is fine. I find that a lot of players use pause to throw you off your game a little for those that do that the button is called pause/break.
11/10/2011 02:46 PMPosted by Darkone
If you pause the game when your playing me expect and instant un-pause nothing you can tell me will change my mind. There really shouldn't be a pause option during ladder games any other unrated game pause is fine. I find that a lot of players use pause to throw you off your game a little for those that do that the button is called pause/break.

You bring up a good point--pauses can be used to interrupt micro as well.
This +1. Why is it even an option, it just creates an avenue for pricks to ruin people's game?

If I pause the game, then I should be the one to un-pause. Or put a timer, so if I pause but dont resume in 2 mins, then it automatically resumes...

doesn't seem hard to implement to me.
If you pause you deserve to lose, period. No excuses. If it's so important that it can't wait than it's far more important than some little loss and I'm sure you'll get over it somehow.

IMO, even asking to use pause is bad manners. How dare you suggest a friendly break? This is total war!
In EA Sports you're in front of people playing for an audience. Sure, less people are trolls when they are in front of a bunch of other people, but in the confines of their own home...?
I would totally love to watch Deezer pause a match against Tyler while Tyler can't unpause immediately.

Oh wait, that's stupid.
11/10/2011 04:43 PMPosted by Shaman
If you pause you deserve to lose, period. No excuses. If it's so important that it can't wait than it's far more important than some little loss and I'm sure you'll get over it somehow.

QFT

ladder's for practice anyway who cares about a couple of loses
The other person can no longer unpause!
Woohoo! Steps for success:
1. Join game
2. Press pause
3. Get dinner
4. Do chores
5. Play with dogs
6. Return to computer
7. If they haven't left out of frustration yet, grab a book and make yourself comfortable.

With the timer, the people who play while in a bad mood can spread the mood around by pausing a couple times before leaving.

I request pauses when I try to clear latency (sisters browsing youtube, curse them!) or my mouse battery died or something like that, where if I DIDN'T pause, I would lose anyway, so them unpausing doesn't actually change the outcome.
use a lap so you can play in the toilet, or get a pair of diapers.