"Scan costs 270 minerals"

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 12 Next
Also, the buff wouldn't work. Make a scan cost 200 minerals and that will just free up Command Center energy so Terran can double down on mules. Once again, the scans would be essentially free.
Deleted
+1
11/13/2011 08:54 PMPosted by Snow
I think this thread inadvertantly proved how insanely stupid some terran players are. If you really think this would be a buff, try putting it in a custom game and see how retarded you feel when you get stomped everytime you use a scan.

I already get stomped every time I use a scan - this is why GOOD terran players scan only as much as absolutely necessary. I'd be fairly ok with this change since i rarely scan (I far rather send a drop if I want to scout and I stim 1 marine forward to scout ahead of my army) except for counter dt where this would be an absolute buff.

1 correction thought, mule isn't exactly 270 minerals -> it's actually 240 or 270 depending on which patch you drop it on.
OMFG not this thread again
What if the terran has 4 bases and keeps scan spamming cloaked units that are in his proximity? If this change made it to HoTS, then Swarm Lords would become useless. H e ll, even with TWO bases, the terran could still scan spam (with Mules).
Wow, do so many of you not understand opportunity cost vs real cost that you actually think this would be a buff? 200 minerals that you've already mined yourself has more of a real expense than mining 270 minerals at an accelerated rate.

Am I the only one here who went to college? I feel like you would have to have dropped out in middle-school to not understand the difference between opportunity cost and real cost...

Just give up. You can't educate a Terran
SCV's building buildings cost minerals. Let the complainers not understand that as well.

Potentiality is not equal to actuality.

by the logic of scan costing 270 minerals due to the lost mule, and more directly saying that SCVs loose minerals while constructing buildings (which is why mules exist according to many) then Zerg buildings cost a huge and indefinate ammount of minerals at a theoretical infinate number.

by this logic, one drone harvests about 40 minerals per minute, therefore, your spawning pool, built 2 minutes into a 30 minute game costs 1370 minerals. does that sound reasonable?

no, lost mining time from SCV's do not count. Zerg's ability to mass produce workers is irrelivant because THAT SPECIFIC worker is gone now. I don't care that they can just spam 10 more, because 10 is still less than 11. If you agree that scan costs 270 minerals then you must also agree that the Zerg spawning pool costs 1370 minerals. Fair enough?
I have an idea. Tell your boss that you're willing to forgo your next paycheck. You're not losing any money. You're just getting the money one paycheck cycle later. The money is still there in the company's bank account. Right?
nope, tell your boss you're willing to forgo the advance he was giving you because you no longer need it. Sacrificing a mule does not make your SCV's go on strike for a week.
11/14/2011 07:17 AMPosted by Shadowshear
by this logic, one drone harvests about 40 minerals per minute, therefore, your spawning pool, built 2 minutes into a 30 minute game costs 1370 minerals. does that sound reasonable?

Your math is wrong, it's only the lost mining time up to saturation.
on any single base. If a zerg gets oversaturated, they expand. In a 30 minute game, they will expand a good number of times thereby avoiding the problem of oversaturation.

Also, my math is correct. Saturation is another issue. You only lose SCV mining time if you are below saturation too. Its the same deal there. The fact that mules ignore saturation is merely a bonus (a largely necesary one) but a bonus nonetheless.

not trying to sound crass, but really, potentiality is a can of worms leading to wierd infinate numbers and situatons. any time you spend even 1 mineral, there is opportunity cost there. Its the name of the game, but it doesnt mean you LOST the mineral, it just means it was manifested differently.
11/14/2011 07:23 AMPosted by Shadowshear
nope, tell your boss you're willing to forgo the advance he was giving you because you no longer need it. Sacrificing a mule does not make your SCV's go on strike for a week.

Bonus or paycheck, it doesn't matter. Money is money. Put your money where your mouth is.
Bonus or paycheck, it doesn't matter. Money is money.

right, but what the rest of everyone is saying is that that bonus you have as a terran player is alreasy rather unfair, and that theres no reason for you to have it. You are losing no paychecks, just a bonus, a bonus you shouldn't really have. Thats the idea anyway.

Granted everyone would like more money (minerals) but theres limits that most people adhere to. That being, every time I walk into my bank and don't rob the place, I'm losing bonus money. Does that count?

If I werent paid on comission, I would have zero problem with not getting bonuses, since I'm getting paid enough as it is.

EDIT: I'm now getting way off topic. The metaphor is done now. What I'm saying is that the only loss you suffer is the loss of something you normally would not have anyhow. Your normal mineral income is not affected.
If anything id say bump it to 300 and be able to use mins or energy to scan.

Of course the more i think about it the more it sounds pointless
Oh look,

This thread again....

While agree a scan doesnt cost minerals, if this trade off happened I would quit playing, The terran could mule and know everything your doing for 200 min a pop.
well played OP :)