The Reasonable Forum Poster Rage Shelter

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 9 Next
Damn wtf... this sounds like a real life corporate world

It was, in no small sense. The logistics of running a large alliance in that game easily compare with running... I don't know... a small country? At the very least a huge corporation.

Of course the margins for error are much larger, being a video game. But there were people who did nothing all day other then run spreadsheets to maintain starbases, supply routes and fleet production.

There were also people who did nothing all day for years except pretend to be members of other alliances with their alts. Working, planning, fighting, even leading, the whole time their loyalties lie elsewhere, and their only purpose is to uncover critical information that could be used against the host alliance.

Real espionage is a lost art. Nothing will ever compare to the duplicity of the sandbox. When you have everything to lose, winning is only -that- much sweeter.

11/14/2011 12:45 AMPosted by mousetrap
It saddens me EvE is the only game that compares to EvE.

We can always hope and pray that whatever Blizzards new IP is it will resemble the Eve model and break away from the WoW model.
Edit - Shark, I hope you don't mind me/us using this thread as a shelter from the usual conversations on this forum in general, lol. Eve is fun to reminisce about, especially since a lot of people don't know just how epic it was. I think if more did we might see more games like it, games that are truly persistent over vast periods of time, with real death penalties, real economies., real heroes and real villains.

No it's fine ;P All in good fun :D
I remember considering getting into EVE myself, but I took a look at it and then thought really hard and decided I really ought to apply myself in college first and not play online games that would suck up massive amounts of time and energy. I think I made the right decision for me, but it was hard (and still kind of is hard =P) to hear about the kind of things I missed out on.

Oh, well. I do find myself increasingly wanting more challenge in the games I play rather than less, even as the industry trend has been in the opposite direction. Over the summer I occupied myself by playing X-COM on the Superhuman difficulty level, just to reminisce about how freaking hard games used to be and how satisfying it was when you overcame that kind of hurdle. Although to be fair, both X-COM and the sequel kind of broke down when the human player got access to mind control technology.
I once read an article in a gaming magazine about a game that sounds just like this. In the article they discussed that a group or clan of players had blocked off a travel route or something with a ton of capital ships, so the developers went in with their own super ships and broke it up. Is this the same game?

I think this thread is off to an excellent start. I'm not a ladder player, but I do a bit of "film" studying (I watch a lot of pro replays on Husky's youtube channel), and try to pick up as much info from them as I can. I swear my game picked up just from this. I gained a whole league (in 4v4, but I'll take it), and have a basic build order that I follow for the early game. I may not be very skilled (I play very casually), but I do like to study and discuss the game without being insulted because of my rank (or lack thereof), or because I play Terran. A huge +1 to this thread!

[q)uote="35807979178"]There were also people who did nothing all day for years except pretend to be members of other alliances with their alts. Working, planning, fighting, even leading, the whole time their loyalties lie elsewhere, and their only purpose is to uncover critical information that could be used against the host alliance.[/quote]

This is up there with Larping...

BioFlux I completely agree with your assessments made in post #33. Excellent analysis.
11/14/2011 01:15 AMPosted by Dewtrocity

It was, in no small sense. The logistics of running a large alliance in that game easily compare with running... I don't know... a small country? At the very least a huge corporation.

Of course the margins for error are much larger, being a video game. But there were people who did nothing all day other than run spreadsheets to maintain starbases, supply routes and fleet production.

There were also people who did nothing all day for years except pretend to be members of other alliances with their alts. Working, planning, fighting, even leading, the whole time their loyalties lie elsewhere, and their only purpose is to uncover critical information that could be used against the host alliances.

Edit - Shark, I hope you don't mind me/us using this thread as a shelter from the usual conversations on this forum in general, lol. Eve is fun to reminisce about, especially since a lot of people don't know just how epic it was. I think if more did we might see more games like it, games that are truly persistent over vast periods of time, with real death penalties, real economies, real heroes and real villains.

If only I was old enough to play it :P

Btw, do people still play it?

Yes, they do. You can technically even play for free.

People buy these things with real world currency called plexes, and turn around and sell them in game. A Plex gives you another 30 days on your subscription.

Brilliant system imho, more games need stuff like that.

Of course the margins for error are much larger, being a video game. But there were people who did nothing all day other than run spreadsheets to maintain starbases, supply routes and fleet production.

There were also people who did nothing all day for years except pretend to be members of other alliances with their alts. Working, planning, fighting, even leading, the whole time their loyalties lie elsewhere, and their only purpose is to uncover critical information that could be used against the host alliances.

Edit - Shark, I hope you don't mind me/us using this thread as a shelter from the usual conversations on this forum in general, lol. Eve is fun to reminisce about, especially since a lot of people don't know just how epic it was. I think if more did we might see more games like it, games that are truly persistent over vast periods of time, with real death penalties, real economies, real heroes and real villains.

Yea, it's more popular than ever actually. That's part of the problem, there's people everywhere, it's not like the wild west anymore.

Instead of decisive fleet battles going down in history, there's just massive blobs of players that lag out the servers. Though the new Time Dilation feature they're working on might fix a lot of that, video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHIhp_vpeIs

Interesting. Should help out in the blob warfare and jita considerably.
Can I live here??? Please Please Please??? :-)

This seems like such a nice place!

Not only are you guys trying to be reasonable about SC2 but you are also talking about EVE....which is like...the BEST GAME EVER!!! PERIOD!!!!

EVE FTW!!! I remember all the one-liners about how everytime someone quit EVE to go play WoW the collective IQ of both communities increased :-)

I hrtz my Navy Megathron!!!! Sad twas the day they made it camo colored instead of badass jet black!
BoB may be an Eve alliance thing, but it is also a "boyfriend on batteries" lol. Just thought I'd share that piece of wisdom. And to contribute to the warm, fuzzy feeling of this wonderful tent sheltered from raging, you all are looking lovely today.

Yeah! I mean it's still pretty small for an MMO. A total of 400,000 subscribers as opposed to WoW's 11-12 million.

During peak hours, 60,000 online as opposed to Battle.net's 750,000+.

But it's still healthy and making money. Enough for CCP to be designing more games. I know they were working at least 2 others. A single-player FPS, and an FPS MMO called Dust 514. I'm not sure about the progress on those games, but they have been almost entirely funded by the revenue from EVE.
11/14/2011 06:34 AMPosted by Valkar

Those 60k are on a single server though. No other game holds a candle to the single-server records that eve sets and breaks.
The INVISIBLE PROTIS SNIPER IS BEING NICE FOR ONCE! YAY! HE IS BEING NI-
11/14/2011 06:43 AMPosted by mousetrap

Those 60k are on a single server though. No other game holds a candle to the single-server records that eve sets and breaks.

Yeah the single-server sand-box thing is epic. Not just from a technological standpoint but I thoroughly enjoyed feeling 'connected' or 'affected' by all the large wars and price fluctuations and things like this. When everything is broken up into several servers it is hard to feel like anything you do the game 'matters' to the rest of the game world.

I remember playing when Gallente only had one major trade hub and a RL Wall-Street guy who was an EVE alliance leader tried to shift the hub to a different system, and that's how Dodixie and Oursalaert became two different hubs. And him doing that drastically changed the game for tens of thousands of players in terms of where they ran their missions, where they bought their stuff, changed up alliance politics and all sorts of things.

Players and guilds in other games just cannot have that kind of impact on the landscape of their game even if they wanted to.

I would gladly take a colossus nerf in exchange for gateway units not sucking until at least 2/2 upgrades and charge.
11/14/2011 01:14 AMPosted by RadioMan
(I watch a lot of pro replays on Husky's youtube channel

You win.
Logical Discussions.....hmmmmmm....Never seen one on here, Do they really exist? All I ever see is x race is op without any info, x race is up without any info, l2play, and TLDR on any well thought out post followed by QQ moar lol
This place seems safe. I will rest here.