StarCraft Art of War - EMP

General Discussion
1 2 3 10 Next
Strategy, tactics, and skill. At the heart of StarCraft II are the legion of skilled tacticians and brilliant strategists leading armies of zerg, protoss, and terrans to war across the scarred battlefields of the Koprulu Sector. Knowledge is power; the greatest commanders throughout history earned their victories not merely by virtue of strategic brilliance, but also by applying themselves to rigorous study of warfare and the tactics used by those who fought before them. You too can tap into this valuable resource, and that’s where StarCraft Art of War comes in.

Are you a veteran player? Are you new to StarCraft II and striving to improve your skills? In this weekly feature, we invite players of all skill levels to ask questions, share their tactics, post replays, and provide advice for understanding and defeating today’s most popular units or strategies.

This week, we’re analyzing:

EMP. How has the EMP change affected your match-ups? How have you changed your play in response?

Art of War Rules:

• Stick to the rules. All posts should abide by the forum code of conduct and the Art of War guidelines. Feel free to disagree with each other, but please do so respectfully. When you express opposing opinions, focus on the idea, not its author, their record, or perceived skill level.

• Be constructive. The purpose of this thread is to share effective tactics and strategies; to adapt, overcome and become a better player. Claiming that a unit or strategy is overpowered isn’t conducive to learning better play and tends to just derail the discussion.

• No soapboxes, please. This thread is for the community to discuss strategies and tactics amongst themselves, not to push individual opinions about game balance or design.

• Please limit conjecture. Theorycrafting definitely has its place, but it’s best to keep the discussion focused, on-topic and practical.

• Important: Please provide explanations and be prepared to provide evidence. These threads exist to elevate the level of strategic discussion on the forums. When appropriate, please provide replays illustrating tactics or techniques you believe to be effective. When using videos or replays please post time stamps to help direct people to the specific points in the action in which you’re referring.

• Ask questions! These threads aren’t just for experienced players, but also players who are learning the ropes or want to improve their skills.

In TvP, the EMP nerf has balanced the win rates, but not in a good way. It seems like early game is still terran favored, but late game is now protoss favored. I mean, the win rates balance out around 50%, but it seems like terran wins 75% of the time they do an early game push but lose 75% of the time in macro games (arbitrary numbers to get point across.)

This is because EMP was terran's only answer to large numbers of archons and/or High templars, and the nerf does signifiicatntly reduce the amount of stuff that gets shield/energy drained. As a result, the terran must buy a lot more ghosts, which makes their backbone of marines and marauders much weaker. When colossi tech switches and vikings get mixed in, it gets worse for the terran because they must react and counter with appropriate numbers of ghosts and/or vikings. Once again, too many ghosts/vikings means that the backbone army is much weaker and they can be rolled by a pure gateway tech switch. I feel like I can roll 80% (guess) of terrans in the late game with a tech switch from HTs to colossi because of the EMP nerf making ghosts less useful against basic gateway units (zealot/archon) and colossi.

It "balanced" the win rates, but in a stale, smelly, putrid way.

I made it more relevant, please don't delete :/
<3
I hardly ever see ghosts in the early or mid game in any of my matches. However I agree that if your opponent does go ghosts for the EMP there will be enough of them to get the job done despite the nerf
The EMP change has forced me to be more patient with my engagements against protoss and it has also encouraged me to use snipes on templar instead of emp. Because of the smaller radius emp's range is also slightly smaller. This means that snipe is much more reliable in taking out templar.

i also try and hit the protoss army with emp when they're coming down or going up a ramp because it forces the units to clump up more.
tbh,playing as a toss and choosing colo over ht 95% of the time i always feel good when i see ghosts because i know i have a huge adv..

EMPs have got me a few times though,a group 8 hts got hit by a single emp
Hasn't changed it noticeably
I've been favouring Ling/Infestor/Ultra with super fast upgrades over Ling/Bane/Muta, so all the Ghost nerf did was make me that much more confident in my composition. But then again, the nerf wasn't meant to affect ZvT anyway.
I would consider EMP to be like any other part of your army. It is not a win all solution to winning but it can make a difference when your protoss opponent has a big army. EMP can help take care of a group of sentries or templars but either way if you do not micro them correctly then its useless. Simple has that.

Now how you choose to use them to either target fire sentries or templars or the protoss whole army depends on what is happening in the game and your micro skills.

Me personally i have found it effective to have a lot of muraders and carpet the protoss army and let the mm do the work and use what energy the protoss have left to snipe some zealots.

Also with some vikings and the necessary micro always help.
The purpose of this thread isn't to say "I have no options late game". The purpose of this thread is to discuss the options you've tried, and to compare notes with other players to see what is successful. If you haven't been successful, an appropriate approach might be to post something like:

Since the change, I feel like I have to win early game to have a chance versus protoss. In particular, I'm having issues with x,y and z unit comps. How are you winning versus protoss late game as terran?

You can post balance analyses in other threads. I will be deleting posts here that comment on balance.
At HotS blizz mentioned that Terran was having a hard time dealing with chargelots and achons midgame, decreasing the emp radius actually made it harder for me when my opponent goes for that unit comp.
Although I have tried many unit compositions, all of them rely very heavily still on EMP. To be honest, I feel like Terran has very little late game options to go against Protoss besides EMP (although it is quite an effective option).
The most success I have had with a different composition was when I would mix in Thors into the army and attack. However, in these games, I always had the upgrade advantage. With the new upgrade changes, I've found scenarios where I have better upgrades to be scarce.
I have tried using tanks and found no success what-so-ever. Zealots are too strong against them and too massable. Tanks are also too slow to produce against the superior production of Protoss warp gates and Chronoboosted Colossi.
The EMP "nerf" did almost nothing to help Protoss. If Protoss goes High Templar, and EMPS go off, Protoss loses (Unless Terran can't macro.)

Possible suggestions:
- Have EMP sort of like a storm, where it drains energy from anything in the radius over time
- Decrease the radius significantly so it takes more precision to land an EMP
- Make EMPs much more difficult to use, with either an energy cost increase or global cooldown, etc.

Just my two cents.