Does anyone acctually enjoy ZvZ?

Zerg Discussion
11/18/2011 09:44 AMPosted by Vaux
Is there some way to not have it be ling/bane? Is there some sort of defensive opening I can do where I can easily transition into roaches or something and not have to do this crap?

On maps with narrow ramps you can easily block the ramp with 5 roaches. This will shut down a 1 base banling early all in. How you get to 5 roaches varies but I go
14 pool
100% pool to Roach warren and double gas
Only get 4 lings(max) for scouting then 5 or more roaches and the mass lings and banlings are usually stopped.

Scouting is important though because if they fast expand they will end up with the advantage. If they expand after they try to run up your ramp then you can easily all in later or crush their expo and expand yourself.

I have a similar defensive build that skips lings and banes, and go for a roach ramp block, into a safe expansion. I've beaten many platinum and diamonds Zerg using this strategy.

Pros:

It stops all early pool builds. You can defend the 6 pool, spine crawler rush with it.
It avoids ling and bane, and hard counters them.
Sets you up to just go kill them if they do a fast expo.
Transitions easily into roach/infestor, or roach/hydra/infestor, which owns sling/bling/muta.

Cons:

A good speed/bane build will give you trouble around 5 minutes, as all you will have is a Queen, and a spine, and drones to defend the first push. As soon as your roaches pop, his aggression is over.

The build is called "Bangtown"

14 pool
send your scout
14-16 drones
16 OL
When Pool finishes you make a Queen, and build one spine crawler in between your pool and hatchery creating a seal.
One pair of lings
Drone to 24/26, but make a Queen as soon as your first is done.
Drop warren, grab both gasses
Make 2 OL's

From here you can make as many roaches as you want. Usually I just make about nine, and go kill a fast expanding Zerg. Expand, behind it. Rally roaches to the top of the ramp. Move one of your Queen to top also, and move that spine down to guard your natural. From here you should anticipate mutas, so hydra den, or infestors both work.

I enjoy ZvZ, but I don't enjoy constant ZvZ. Just like I don't enjoy constant ZvT or ZvP.

Blame North American ladder and all the popular zerg streams on twitch.tv that get morons to switch races everyday.

Why can't we just be like Korea and China and either stay the minority or at least have a better variation of matchups on ladder?

ZvZ after ZvZ in Diamond/Master/Grandmaster really blows, whereas in the lower leagues, it's all Protoss and Terran players.

I hope they buff Protoss or Terran, or something. Being a zerg player since SC1 and starting as Zerg in SC2 makes me angry that my race has become the biggest and most popular, thus most butchered, nerfed or attention seeking all of a sudden.

All of these Protoss and Terrans must go back!!!

The level of entitlement and self-delusion in this post is comedy. Thank you, sir.
I hate them, prolly because my micro is not so great. I tend to 7 pool everytime...i don't even care if i win or lose...i just want it over!
Love this matchup.... SO FREAKING MUCH.

I almost always 14g/14p and put on early ling/bling pressure. I can rely on my micro to win like 90% of the time. I can consistently kill their first 6 lings with my first 6 without taking any casualties.

Honestly, baiting blings, microing 3 control groups of lings and sniping off whatever you can is the most enjoyable thing in SC2 for me right now.
idra vs nestea at mlg

ahmagawd exciting. please don't disappoint us!
game 1 was siiiick
I love it because I win 90% of games. I hated it before though, because I lost 90% of games.
I just won 3 zvz's in a row against gold players, so it is my new favorite mu
Omg, so many posts. x.x

I love ZvZ because it's like Macro attack after Macro attack after Macro attack after Macro attack after Macro attack after Macro attack....Etc...xD

Very fun games, I love seeing what people counter with...80% of the time though, someone is out-rushed about 10 minutes into game. xD

My only problem is seeing if my opponent is going to go Mutas (So I can get Hydras) or Roaches so I could possibly tech a bit faster, get Infestors, and then spam Infested Terran over 110% of the map. =D
I LIKE IT :D

I only play it occasionally though, i've been trying out random :)

My only problem is seeing if my opponent is going to go Mutas (So I can get Hydras) or Roaches so I could possibly tech a bit faster, get Infestors, and then spam Infested Terran over 110% of the map. =D

These are the opposites to my reactions. If they go mutas I just drop a spore crawler and ling roach kill them. If they go roach I just ling roach kill them. If they go hydra I just laugh and then ling roach kill them.
11/18/2011 11:11 AMPosted by Darkee
ZvZ is by far the funnest matchup. Until the roach phase. Ling bling phases are pure micro. It isnt " a coin flip matchup ". its all micro.

I lol'd when I checked your profile and saw platinum

How could you honestly consider that your opinion on the matchup holds weight when you couldn't beat anyone in masters with a ling/baneling to save your life?

banelings 1shotting zerglings makes for extremely fragile gameplay .... which is why the matchup is referred to as a coinflip
I like ZvZ because i can be ultra aggressive and still be ok in the drone count. I get so happy when i see my opponent 15 hatched against my 14/14
trrbl
I enjoy ZvZ, but I don't enjoy constant ZvZ. Just like I don't enjoy constant ZvT or ZvP.

Blame North American ladder and all the popular zerg streams on twitch.tv that get morons to switch races everyday.

Why can't we just be like Korea and China and either stay the minority or at least have a better variation of matchups on ladder?

ZvZ after ZvZ in Diamond/Master/Grandmaster really blows, whereas in the lower leagues, it's all Protoss and Terran players.

I hope they buff Protoss or Terran, or something. Being a zerg player since SC1 and starting as Zerg in SC2 makes me angry that my race has become the biggest and most popular, thus most butchered, nerfed or attention seeking all of a sudden.

All of these Protoss and Terrans must go back!!!

Didn't know there was such thing as a Zerg Hipster...
ZvZ is by far the funnest matchup. Until the roach phase. Ling bling phases are pure micro. It isnt " a coin flip matchup ". its all micro.

I lol'd when I checked your profile and saw platinum

How could you honestly consider that your opinion on the matchup holds weight when you couldn't beat anyone in masters with a ling/baneling to save your life?

banelings 1shotting zerglings makes for extremely fragile gameplay .... which is why the matchup is referred to as a coinflip

Whats funny is hes right, remove head from !@#.
I don't hate it only cuz zergs don't know hOw 2 play zvz, still I hate zvp more cuz of op ffs
Yeah, it's so fun