why do people run into vortex?

General Discussion
who taught players to run into vortex seriously.
It can make protoss army surround you
It gives protoss terrain advantage
It can also give protoss to use archon toilet, which still works with air units.
Also give protoss slow units to catch up in a fight

edit: people are saying the other half of the army would be killed, but what if you retreat until the vortex is done?
It also gives you units a short period of invulnerability, which is better then half you army eating !@#$ and then the vortexed half eating %^-* shortly thereafter.

If they vortexed, they already had a positional advantage.
If you let a vortex catch you you obviously were already caught by a slow !@# $%^-ing unit.
If you want to suicide half your army against the full force of the Protoss army for 20 seconds, be my guest. If you want to run half your army away then you're leaving the other half of your army to die you can do that too.

Also, if the Mothership has 200/200 energy, then she can Vortex half your army, wait 10 seconds as the Maxed Protoss army slaughters the half of your army that wasn't Vortexed, then Vortex what remains of your second army. Now half your army is in one Vortex and the other half is in another Vortex. The Archons go into Vortex A, perform an Archon Toilet on the first half of your army and then run into Vortex B before it expires, performing an Archon Toilet on the second half of your army.
Because there's nothing else to do once Vortex is cast.
a surround is better than getting the half of your army outside of the vortex annihilated, and the other half that comes back after vortex wears off.

don't you agree? how did you get to plat?
Because a moderate positional disadvantage is usually not as bad as a massive numbers disadvantage.
A good Protoss player will vortex off half your army right off the bat, and if you don't send the other half in, you'll just lose that half to the doubled numbers advantage Protoss now has, then lose whatever's left once the vortex wears off.
Free 3 sec invulnerability FTW.
when my teammates put down a vortex, i put most of my banelings in. That way, when the ground units come out (usually marines), they all die.
1. Protoss has mothership, I have broodlords
2. He vortexes my broodlords
3. I run everything in, he is confused
4. He runs in archons lawling away at how he's won the game
5. I run 40 banelings I was hiding in the back into the vortex
6. He creams his pants
1. Protoss has mothership, I have broodlords
2. He vortexes my broodlords
3. I run everything in, he is confused
4. He runs in archons lawling away at how he's won the game
5. I run 40 banelings I was hiding in the back into the vortex
6. He creams his pants

If you can afford to face the Protoss army when you have 2000/1000/20 hiding, then good for you, I guess. Not to mention that if he saw your Banelings and had energy for a second Vortex, he could Vortex all your Banelings and then send a single Archon into the Baneling Vortex, which would absorb 18 Banelings alone.
Because I want to join the party.