Request: Move the countdown to after loading

General Discussion
Prev 1 12 13 14 18 Next
12/01/2011 04:08 PMPosted by GymRainer
How has this been reported...

This.
EDIT: They probley did that so Blizzard would come check it out, I don't know lol.
Great idea! Implement it!
11/30/2011 06:39 PMPosted by Zodiac
Yes. That is all.
I agree as well. Please implement this.
I support this.
Agree, this would be great. In fact, I am pretty sure I've played a few other RTS games where it has the counter before the game actually "starts".
+1
I support this.
...no, this would open up a new can of worms.

SC2 would be forced to:

1) verify that the person has the map in question and if not, download it(this part shouldn't hurt you)
2) then it has to load the game and "ready" it for the match(this part would hurt you)

Griefers could exploit this by moving the game files to a USB hard drive for example and then limit the USB bandwidth to a crawl.

Because everyone's forced to wait in the lobby, until everyone's machine says "I'm ready", this could outright prevent any games from ever starting at all.

This would then force everyone to wait and wait and wait, and the game would never start.

13 pages and 1 no. I'd say that's pretty amazing for any idea.
This is a great idea.
11/30/2011 05:04 PMPosted by HadesVine
Perhaps even just keeping the existing solution but adding a 3-5 second countdown so that both players can be ready to select their workers.

Yeah everything normal, expect when the game "starts" or finishes loading to map (miner selection viewpoint), have a 3 second timer.
...no, this would open up a new can of worms.

SC2 would be forced to:

1) verify that the person has the map in question and if not, download it(this part shouldn't hurt you)
2) then it has to load the game and "ready" it for the match(this part would hurt you)

Griefers could exploit this by moving the game files to a USB hard drive for example and then limit the USB bandwidth to a crawl.

Because everyone's forced to wait in the lobby, until everyone's machine says "I'm ready", this could outright prevent any games from ever starting at all.

This would then force everyone to wait and wait and wait, and the game would never start.

Number 1 isn't an issue, the system already ensures that you have the map in question.
Number 2 could be fixed by adding in a system in which once a player has fully loaded the game, if the other player has not loaded/entered for X minutes they can cancel the game without either player losing points and find a new opponent.

Even so, this type of justification is kind of silly. It's like saying that people should no longer leave out a bowl of candy on their doorstep for Halloween because some kids will take more than they are supposed to.
Makes sense. +1
Said it before will say it again.

Great idea.
Lol someone reported the OP.
There is no reason not to do this. I never lag at the start of games, and I would still appreciate a short countdown after loading.

Admittedly, the first second of the game is not direly important, but there is still no real downside to this. If the wait really annoys people, then maybe shorten the pre-load countdown.
Excellent Idea