Current State of NASL

General Discussion
So if anyone saw SOTG the other nightThey talked alot about the current state of NASL and how the numbers are low. What they were saying about NASL about how they are competeing with the other tournaments for viewers was very interesting to me.

Incontrol especially went into alot of things about how the content itself was stale and monotonous and the format needs adjusting. I think everything said about NASL was very accurate.

However, not to my surprise, they didnt mention what I think is the main problem with the NASL currently.

The casting is absolutely terrible. Gretorp is single handedly killing eSports. HE barely understands the game. He corrects himself numerous times throughout every game. His analysis is very poor and he is stale and dull. I think he is what is holding back the league currently. Season 1 was awesome not because it was fresh but because Incontrol is a great personality and the finals were awesome.

The gameplay itself has been pretty good the problem is clearly that the casting is terrible. If NASL is to survive they must replace Gretorp. Orb can stay because although he doesnt have a very entertaining personality his analysis is very good.

tl:dr Gretorp is ruining NASL. His casting is terrible and he barely understands the game. If NASL is truly gonna survive they must replace Gretorp if they dont they are doomed
12/01/2011 07:13 PMPosted by TheJoKeR
tl:dr Gretorp is ruining NASL. His casting is terrible and he barely understands the game. If NASL is truly gonna survive they must replace Gretorp if they dont they are doomed

You're a hater.

By the way wtf orb>gretorp? Pass over some of what you're smoking.
Replace Gretorp with Totalbiscuit, he still doesn't understand the game, but at last hes funny.
You could replace gretorp with kellymilkies and it would be an improvement.

BRUE FRAME HEWWIONS!!!!
12/01/2011 07:15 PMPosted by Dully
The players are bad. The video quality is bad. The casting is bad. There are so many better alternatives to watch.

THis is all true. I still think it could be a better show if they would at least put it in 480 and got better casters

BRUE FRAME HEWWIONS!!!!

lol
My biggest problems

1. Too many games to watch between so many tournaments. I dont have that much time. But I do watch some NASL when I think about it.
2. I find watching old VODs is hard to do because I can't find the ones I want on their site.
3. Since I can't find VODs on their site, then I go to this site which lists them 1000 times better. But then I can't help but look at spoilers... and then after I've spoiled them I don't really want to watch them as much.

http://sc2ratings.com/season-info.php?season=nasl2&section=Division%20Play

4. White Ra didn't perform well this season, and he's one of my all time favorite players... so I was too depressed to go watch him not do well (after I spoiled all the games via that site).

Gretorp is fine. Orb was funny to watch stream in beta, so now i want to watch some just because he's a caster.
I stopped watching NASL when they began to require you to pay for High Quality streaming. As long as I can watch pros play Starcraft in High Quality without paying, I'm not going to pay to watch NASL properly.

I personally don't have any problems with the casting.
The real problem with the NASL is simply the EXTREME, extreme delay between when games are played, and when they are aired. Even on STOG, some thought it was a few days or a week, but as it was painfully obvious when the season started (because of the patch change which took place shortly after), it's more like a month. Also, I'm always confused when I flip on to twitch and see NASL showing LoL but under the SC2 games area (I just don't 'trust it'). Also I feel there is a "wtf we are going to waste 5 min" between each game, which is really annoying and unnecessary. If they fixed that, they would have just as many viewers as IPL or more.

The only issue I have with Gretorp is that he is the main caster, and is simply not very well read. As a side caster, Gretorp is great, but I couldn't imagine any league surviving when your primary caster does not have an excellent grasp of vocabulary and colloquialisms. His personality is also rather passive and not truly engaging. I think Gretorp could stay as the main caster, if he simply made an effort to read ~50 pages a day of good literature to expand his vocabulary.

Take White Ra as an example, EVEN IF NASL replaced Gretorp with Whitera, who has a significantly more engaging personality, I wouldn't watch because his commentary would become stale really, really quickly simply because his vocabulary is so limited. The only one that I liked of the co-casters in particular was Orb. Even when Idra was casting, which I did enjoy, I would of hated him as a main caster as well.
Gretorp is just awkward as hell.
NASL is totally dead, probably because the players are trash, the casters are trash, and the format is trash.

Trash.
The NASL casters have always been bad. That's why I don't watch it unless I literally have nothing else to do.

And then I often turn it off and take a nap instead.
There's simply too much content out there to pay for, or even waste time on, anything sub par.
I like the tournament, players, etc. I don't care for the casters.

Like others have said, I'd never pay for something that seemed unprofessional.
Yeah I hate how they just hire random ex-gamers with no casting skills to commentate the game. Seriously, if this field is in anyway competitive, you will not see 70% of the casters getting hired, ever.

Gretorp is horrible. Listening to him is like watching wet paint dry on a rainy day. I guess this is the part where eSport is really hurting. They don't select people to put them on television or stream.

The entertainment business is very selective on who they show on television.
People are under the mistaken impression that NASL exists to provide content to the audience. NASL's purpose is to provide a fun SC2 venue for the group of buddies that run it, and the business of creating a quality product for the Web audience is, at best, an afterthought.

Was a big supporter right out of the gate Season 1, and subbed immediately to support it and its potential. People tried to excuse the multiple quality issues, until it was clear they were going to be flagrant and continuous. That continued all the way through to the finals, and I bailed. IGN, for example, was running rings around them. Hell, individual players were blowing away NASLs pre-recorded content while streaming LIVE.

Suggestions that things obvious to any high school AV club member should be noticed by NASL staff and fixed were met with repeated cluelessness or denials. And try as he might, nice guy that he is, Gretorp wasn't up for the job. The people accused of hating on him were cheering just about every other caster brought in. They wanted to be supportive, but wanted casters who would earn it. Then InControl lowered the boom and admitted that no matter what viewers wanted, no matter how good it would be for NASL, Gretorp was there to stay.

The promise of NASL was great. Opportunity squandered, compounded by an adamant refusal to listen to and serve fans. There's too much good content out there provided by people who give half a squat about its quality for me to stick around.

12/01/2011 07:22 PMPosted by Time
1. Too many games to watch between so many tournaments. I dont have that much time. But I do watch some NASL when I think about it.
Biggest problem right there. Do they still do the whole "shoutcast live, rebroadcast after"? I haven't seen them in so long because I hated that format, there are other ways to give the casters a sense of surprise because they aren't expecting something to happen. You can have people review games to find the best and then have the casters shoutcast from the replays like IPL. At least that way you could pick and choose the best matches from group stages so you don't bore the hell out of your audience with 40 min matches where no one does anything.

BRUE FRAME HEWWIONS!!!!

lol
Tor is here xD