Blizz refuses major balance fix til expansion

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 21 Next
(Hopefully this doesn't read too harsh, it's been a tough Monday. ;) <3 <3 <3)

Our intent is not to have a game with broken balance in an attempt to sell an expansion. That should go without saying. It makes me sad it isn't.

Our intent is not to apply knee jerk fixes based on the first few weeks as understanding of the game and strategies are still in flux. The game is young, and we don't feel that it would have been helpful to progressing peoples understanding by throwing in tons of fixes based on flavor-of-the-week (or day, or hour) strats.

We see a lot of variation between the regions. Making a change for how NA players play may be completely ridiculous for how KR players play, and actually mess up a balance there. For instance 10 of their top 20 players are zerg. So that's one place where we have to be mindful and careful and attack balance issues with great prejudice.

That said. There are balance changes coming. What everyone was seeing in beta with tons of quick balance changes are because it was in beta and we feel we can get away with throwing out a lot of 'we think this may help' type fixes. With a live environment we're not going to throw stuff out there unless we're pretty sure. We've played. We've looked at data. We've looked at each region. And then we act. Which isn't to say we may not be wrong from time to time, but it's a more measured approach than beta players may be used to or expecting.

The thing I don't understand is why these responses are so few and so vague. There are many many problems that need to be fixed but it takes an inflammatory thread just to get a vague assurance.
Will Starcraft 2 have PTRs or anything similar to test major changes to the game before the patch is released like WoW does?
The game seems pretty balanced to me. Good job Blizz.

Btw, you're pretty chill Bashiok. Let's be friends.
Bashiok, this will quell such a great amount of forum anger.

You just took the pot off the boiler. Now it's only simmering. This makes me happy.
The thing I don't understand is why these responses are so few and so vague. There are many many problems that need to be fixed but it takes an inflammatory thread just to get a vague assurance.

Talk about vague. What "many many problems" [sic] do you speak of?
Would you be able to comment on whether these fixes will be part of that upcoming patch that's supposed to come 5 weeks from release?

Do you have a quote or something? We don't generally give patch timelines so I'd be interested to see it.

I really don't, but I've heard it (5 weeks) used a few times on this board and figured Blizz made some kind of statement on it that I must have missed.

They give responses when appropriate. Did you see the forums earlier today, or this past week for that matter? It was horrible. Would you want to walk in on such chaos and try to have a rational conversation? I'm betting no. So they had to Ban Hammer a few rotten apples first to quell the waters.

As for responses being "vague" I believe Lylirra's post was pretty concise. If you're referring to Bashiok's mention of upcoming changes it's simply because they are not at liberty to discuss them yet as most likely a lot of changes they are planning are not set in stone yet. If he would have said we're doing X changes to unit Y, that would cause a lot of debate for good or otherwise and if they later decided to not go through with those changes people would most likely be upset that they were lead on.

I really don't, but I've heard it (5 weeks) used a few times on this board and figured Blizz made some kind of statement on it that I must have missed.

I don't think so. But I've been wrong before. I do so enjoy a good rumor though. ;)

Talk about vague. What "many many problems" [sic] do you speak of?

I might have been vague but the community hasn't but let's start with the basics

Balance (This will take time) - I play Terran and I'm tired of hearing Zergs QQ

Chat Rooms - It seems so basic and has been requested by the majority of the community since Beta but they've only agreed to add it recently

Clan Support/Tournament Support - For a game centered around eSports, this is a necessity

Name Changing - Addressed recently, took them long enough

Custom Games - Pretty much completely broken

Statistics - There are NO statistics other than W/L how about win percentage against different races or average APM or win percentage by map or even fun statistics such as the most kills by one of your units in a league match.

Observer Latency - Since tournaments are forced to be centered around B-net and SC2 is centered around eSports there needs to be a way for people to observe games without lagging the players or else it leads to confrontations between players and casters.

Cross-Regional Play - This is possible in every other game except SC2. I don't care since I'm in NA and theres 500k+ players here but how about Latin American players who have a player pool of 10k people. It takes awhile to find a 4v4 game here I wouldn't even try there.

I don't think so. But I've been wrong before. I do so enjoy a good rumor though. ;)

So I hear that Bashiok plays Starcraft 2 in a one-piece bunny pajama suit...

Bummer, so what do you know that you can leak for us? haha
Chat Rooms - It seems so basic and has been requested by the majority of the community since Beta but they've only agreed to add it recently

Clan Support/Tournament Support - For a game centered around eSports, this is a necessity

Those features will be here when they are ready. No time table as of yet. ;)

Why don't you guys have pretty forum avatars?

It's called trying to give an answer that won't upset anyone while not turning the boards into a maelstrom speculation. It's bad enough already.

I believe it got started cause someone saw a interview or something where a Blizzard guy said it would be like 5 weeks before we saw major patching for whatever reason it was. An now everyone thinks that means were getting one for sure in another week or two.

You know that one unit you love? We're deleting it.

They give responses when appropriate. Did you see the forums earlier today, or this past week for that matter? It was horrible. Would you want to walk in on such chaos and try to have a rational conversation? I'm betting no. So they had to Ban Hammer a few rotten apples first to quell the waters.

As for responses being "vague" I believe Lylirra's post was pretty concise. If you're referring to Bashiok's mention of upcoming changes it's simply because they are not at liberty to discuss them yet as most likely a lot of changes they are planning are not set in stone yet. If he would have said we're doing X changes to unit Y, that would cause a lot of debate for good or otherwise and if they later decided to not go through with those changes people would most likely be upset that they were lead on.

Yes I agree, the forums are a mess but they can avoid all that by continuously responding and reassuring the community on the things they're working on instead of ignoring us for two weeks before responding. If they don't even acknowledge the problems I have no idea if they'll ever get fixed.

A simple
Please send replays of map hackers to xxx@blizzard.com and we will examine and ban any accounts caught using hacks.

or
We're currently investigating ways to connect our global community without causing latency issues.

OH GAD NOOOOOO

Aw man, not the SCV! Way to nerf Terrans.