Dual Monitor/Confine Cursor settings

Mac Technical Support
Hi,

I've looked around on similar threads here and elsewhere and couldn't find a solution to this. I went ahead and bought myself a second monitor for Christmas, much larger than my small MacBook screen. It works great but I can't figure out how to setup SC2 on it correctly.

I have the second monitor aligned above my MB. When I play SC2 in Fullscreen (windowed) or Windowed mode (I've configured SC2 to only run in the second monitor), every time I move my mouse down to the MB screen (to work with iTunes, Skype, etc.) the map scrolls down to the very bottom. I've tried all three "confine cursor" options and nothing works the way I want it too. If it's set to on, then the mouse absolutely cannot leave the SC2 window.

How can I stop this from happening? Ideally, the map would only scroll down when the mouse is at the bottom of the SC2 window - and stop once the mouse leaves the window.

Thanks and happy holidays.
I do not think the "Confine Mouse Cursor" setting is what you are looking for. That is just to contain the mouse itself inside the window.

Try unchecking the "Enable Mouse Scroll" option under Options>Controls. Here is what it does:

Enable the ability to scroll the map by placing the cursor at the edge of the screen.

Mac Tech Support for Baaaaahlizzard Entertainment || Sunday to Thursday 11:00 am - 8:00 pm CST
http://www.surveymk.com/s/RF8K3KG ---- Rate my Baaaaalue Posts. How's this sheep doing?
The Mechanical sheep formerly known as as TonyM!
If at first you don't succeed... call it Version 1.0..
Fluppuple: As I said, I'm using windowed fullscreen right now, and it's causing the same problems as windowed. Fullscreen (non-windowed) mode works fine but it turns off my other display, which I understand can't be helped.

Macxkhan: Thanks for the quick reply, but...while that does stop the scrolling problem, I still want to be able to use the mouse scroll in-game to move around the map. However, I only want it to scroll the map when the cursor is at the EDGE of the SC2 window (as you described) - not when it's outside the window in another application on my first screen. Any suggestions? Do you understand the problem?
I'll have to investigate somethings.

I think I understand the issue now, but I don't know if that is possible. I'll check things out. I've tried every possible setting on the game and it will not work like you want it. Do you know if you can do this on a PC? I'll have to test things out on a PC later on to see if this is possible.
Mac Tech Support for Baaaaahlizzard Entertainment || Sunday to Thursday 11:00 am - 8:00 pm CST
http://www.surveymk.com/s/RF8K3KG ---- Rate my Baaaaalue Posts. How's this sheep doing?
The Mechanical sheep formerly known as as TonyM!
If at first you don't succeed... call it Version 1.0..
Unfortunately I have no access to a PC. How are the investigations going?

Thanks.

...any updates?
Sorry about that. I might try this one out on my own too to see if I can figure it out.

So, Thrall, Jaina, and Kerrigan are all sitting around playing poker…
Fixed it on PC :> ty i didnt know about the confine setting! :>
01/27/2012 01:07 AMPosted by Infrasound
Fixed it on PC :> ty i didnt know about the confine setting! :>

How did you manage this? I've tried all three settings and nothing seems to be working for me.
I think the issue at hand here is one i brought up before. In Windows (the OS), it scrolls when mouse is at edge of screen, but once the mouse leaves the window, it STOPS scrolling. On OS X, when mouse leaves the window, it continues scrolling indefinitely. The behavior is not consistent. It can be annoying if playing windowed mode. When i was doing campaign achieves i often had the guide open on a second screen, i might want to mouse over to it to scroll the webpage and what not and i'd get really annoyed when the game window would scroll all the way to far right edge of map for no good reason. I ended up actually using boot camp to finish the campaign for this reason alone.

This is NOT a confine cursor issue, it's a scrolling behavior issue. It should scroll only when you at edge of window, and NOT beyond it. Hope this clarifies what i think the other posters are talking about.
Thanks for clarifying this. I was having a hard time explaining what the issue was. I'll get this passed on now that I understand what is going on.

Pfft! Secret doors, who needs 'em? What do I care about secret doors?... and the unparalleled delights they keep hidden from the world!
Has there been any updates on this? I am having these exact issues currently in Hots Beta.

I have to go through tweaks to force and disable my laptop screen so only my external is active as if both is on the mouse just runs off. Also confine mouse breaks if its not on auto. It gets super jumpy and uncontrollable.

any news?
This is something that is still being reviewed. For now, you will need to tweak it using the terminal commands I provided before.

The issue remains that on on Mac OS X, there isn't a normal way to do this, so coding had to be tweaked to make it work. This can affect some setups, so you might have to toggle commands until it is right on for your setup.
I've been having a similar issue but I found a temporary work-around. I play in full screen mode with a second monitor on the left and every time I start the game up, my mouse flies off of the left side of the screen if I try to scroll to the left. If you change the "Confine mouse cursor" settings to "on" or "automatic", it will work for the rest of that session. It doesn't seem to matter what you change it to. They both do the same thing. This only works until you quit the game, so you have to remember to change the setting every time you start up SC2.