“Stream Sniping” and Customer Service Policy

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 8 Next
01/19/2012 10:40 AMPosted by Sary
Adding a 5-10 minute delay to the stream can prevent sniping. Totalbiscuit does it for his tournaments.

And this is what I've been saying for months. Delay the stream by a few minutes. I would even say that 2 minutes may be enough time since by the time you see someone queue up for a 1v1, you're already 2 minutes behind in the queue. Even if you end up in the same game, they can't compete with being 2 minutes out of date.

Here's an idea. Since streamers like to talk to their fans in real time, what they should do is, for an undefined period of time, only show the chat he's in while on the side starting a new quick match (with sound muted to conceal when he started. When a match is found, swap things over to show the game and BAM. Anyone who wanted to stream snipe you was never ready to join the queue. They never know when to join now.

You'd think extremely talented strategists would have thought of this one already. But ya, in the end, I knew this was Blizzard's position. They would not interfere with something that far outside their range. They can't police this sort of thing. Be responsible, people.
How about if the entire freaking community is saying someone stream cheated, act as if it were the same as them maphacking
It's not stream sniping. It's stream cheating...
wow, the fact that you guy can't do anything abuot this says something about a flaw in this game...i LOVE this game, yeah its true we win sometimes we lose sometimes too but what IF, and thats a big if, every single player in this game decided the only way to win was through this??.......this is a flaw, dear community manager there is no hostility to my argument but it deserves a way to overcome this b4 your target of players diminishes.....if this keeps going, people who buy the next expansion wont be as much as expected, i'm serious...if they know nothing in this game changes, why bother to spend cash on it?......this i'm defending the other mods that they want on this game can w8 or not even exist but this does need to be solved, It ISN'T in blizz's responsibility BUT! this is YOUR game if i may add. Everything will die down, even worse than now in fact.......
It's funny, since the fair play thread that was present previous to this one basically directly stated that it was against the ToS. Not to mention that you have a support article that also states it.

http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/starcraft-ii-exploitation-and-client-server-manipulation-policy

Good to know that Blizzard is supporting e-sports. [/sarcasm]
hey when the deezer - destiny crap happened i made the exact same argument, BOOOOOH YA!!!

ps: blizz can u pls make it so that you cannot que vs the same opponent more then like 2/10 games or something, that will stop the sniping in of itself
What reasonable people have requested is that you ban the small number of chronic stream snipers. AKA - People like Deezer who have constantly stream sniped over a period of many months and who openly flaunt what they're doing.

It is not beyond the scope of what you could enforce to ban the tiny handful of individuals who have basically made an e-career out of stream sniping.

In the case of Deezer, there is a mountain of evidence against him, and it would take little effort to finally rid the community of him. Or at least ban his main account and force him to give you 60 more dollars if he wants his name back.

Did you even read the OP's post?

Stream sniping is not against the 'rules'.

Nobody gives a !@#$ how much evidence you have for it.

Delays can prevent cheating not sniping. Stream sniping is really misnamed you don't even need to stream to have it happen to you. Players can add you to their friend list, and as soon as their target hits find match their status will change and the sniper can also hit find match at the same time. This will let them match against their target over and over and over again in a row as long as they have similar rating, which seems like something blizzard could do something about because there is nothing players can do to prevent it.

Black out your screen until you've entered the match. Viewers really don't care about watching someone wander the bnet menus.

Friending only works if both people friend each other, and most pros don't friend stream snipers.
Except you can do something. You can stop players from *repeatedly* playing the same person over and over. If the person streaming gets sniped, then big deal, but when they end up playing the same stream sniper game after game after game, something is very much wrong.

Hey look - A sheep who blindly falls in line with what a blue says just because he's a blue.

Go read Blizzard's TOS. It says they can ban you for any reason.

If Blizzard decided tomorrow that they wanted chronic stream sniping to be against the rules, they could. They're choosing not to, and that sucks for everyone.

There is no excuse for a player like Deezer not being permanently banned by now.

This is true, they can ban you for any reason they desire, for instance Look at destiny, what did he get banned for? Deezer was stream sniping him and destiny told his viewers to spam him with messages so he will LAG out. Since when is this against the rules? , but blizzard banned destiny cause they dont like the idea of someone taking advantage of there glitchy battlenet. Instead of banning Deezer the 100% always stream sniping !@#$%^-, they ban a guy for something that isnt against the rules.

They can make anything an offense if they want to.

I'm a fan of Destiny, but he was wrong for what he did there. I mean, it's true that he was attempting to defend himself from Deezer. But he still deserved the brief ban that he got for that, because it sets a dangerous precedent for a player to be able to use his stream viewership to lag out another player (even if the player being targeted was Deezer).

But yes, their rules give them the authority to ban people for chronic stream cheating if they decided to.
01/19/2012 10:59 PMPosted by Mash
i think hes referring to streamcheating? streamsniping is just when you hit search at the same time as your favorite pro to get a 1v1, which has nothing to do with watching the stream while playing...

Stream sniping is where you watch the stream of the person you're fighting to gain an advantage.

Actually, no, that's not what it means. The person you quoted has it right. "Watching" the stream is stream cheating. Also, making that post isn't really relevant to what everyone is arguing about.

This is true, they can ban you for any reason they desire, for instance Look at destiny, what did he get banned for? Deezer was stream sniping him and destiny told his viewers to spam him with messages so he will LAG out. Since when is this against the rules? , but blizzard banned destiny cause they dont like the idea of someone taking advantage of there glitchy battlenet. Instead of banning Deezer the 100% always stream sniping !@#$%^-, they ban a guy for something that isnt against the rules.

They can make anything an offense if they want to.

I'm a fan of Destiny, but he was wrong for what he did there. I mean, it's true that he was attempting to defend himself from Deezer. But he still deserved the brief ban that he got for that, because it sets a dangerous precedent for a player to be able to use his stream viewership to lag out another player (even if the player being targeted was Deezer).

But yes, their rules give them the authority to ban people for chronic stream cheating if they decided to.

You can't say what was right or what was wrong. Is Deezer's continuous stream sniping wrong? Maybe. I'd call it harassment.

Is Destiny wrong for spamming Deezer using his fanbase? Maybe. That's probably also harassment.

The thing of the matter is, it's unfair to punish one if the other is going to get away scott free. A lot of people would say that both are wrong, but Deezer will probably get the most hate for "exercising his free speech", so to speak, even though that's irrelevant (and he's Canadian).

Blizzard is attempting to fix a problem by using obvious methods that streamers have already been doing, and pretty much, used this as an opportunity to say "we already gave you solutions, use one of them, this isn't our problem anymore now." There isn't an obvious solution to dealing with snipers, but by blatantly prancing around the problem, Blizzard has earned the ire of many-a-caster.
Did you even read the OP's post?

Stream sniping is not against the 'rules'.

Nobody gives a !@#$ how much evidence you have for it.

Hey look - A sheep who blindly falls in line with what a blue says just because he's a blue.

Go read Blizzard's TOS. It says they can ban you for any reason.

If Blizzard decided tomorrow that they wanted chronic stream sniping to be against the rules, they could. They're choosing not to, and that sucks for everyone.

There is no excuse for a player like Deezer not being permanently banned by now.
Why did you have to insult the poster? Why not his ideas? How does it matter how he gathered his idea? This is known as "flaming" another poster and is against forum rules.

!@#$ like this pisses me off. Having an intelligent discussion and someone starts the flame.

And anyways, I'm not just agreeing with OP, but Steam Sniping shouldn't be against the rules. Telling another player EVERYTHING you're doing shouldn't risk them getting banned, that's just not fair.

And no, a little bit of Deezer isn't going to kill all of eSports, I doubt it won't even begin to scratch the surface of it.

Also, how are the suppose to enforce this, and not only that, how are they to prove if someone is in fact Stream Sniping or just being really lucky/gosu consistantly? I'd hate to be permanently banned for playing really luckily against my favorite pro.
Thank you Blizzard! I can't believe people actually thought Blizzard would take away time and resources from developing games in order to prevent stream sniping.
It's funny, since the fair play thread that was present previous to this one basically directly stated that it was against the ToS. Not to mention that you have a support article that also states it.

http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/starcraft-ii-exploitation-and-client-server-manipulation-policy

Good to know that Blizzard is supporting e-sports. [/sarcasm]

Streamcheating has no effect on esports.